Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Cleaning, what's the best way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
JohnnyReptile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning, what's the best way?

I was just wondering how everyone cleans their trucks. Like what products they use, and what everyone thinks is the best.
I am interested in both the quick cleaning and detailed methods. Any and all info would be great. Thanx.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Nathan9492

Default RE: Cleaning, what's the best way?

air coompressor and some nitro rc cleaner
Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM
benzzyo5

a compressor is a mush!

i use wd-40or simple green or somtimes super 9

what i do is just blast down the whole truck with whatever cleaner i use. let it sit for about 10min so everything loostenes up. then blow it all off with a compressor, the compressor will clean all the dirt off and dry the thing
Old 12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
burnchassis3

ORIGINAL: JohnnyReptile

I was just wondering how everyone cleans their trucks. Like what products they use, and what everyone thinks is the best.
I am interested in both the quick cleaning and detailed methods. Any and all info would be great. Thanx.
Seal up the radio,and the batteries in a balloon,then blast it with a hose..I often use the local car wash at 2000+ psi.
I've done this 20 maybe 30 times with no ill effect..just dont spray directly into the radio box.The servos are tuffer then you think.
I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the seam of the servo,then rub Vaseline over that..you can hurt them,but not likely.
Or run it through the tall grass after a good rain.

CS
Old 12-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Nathan9492

yes a compressor is a must to dry and blow all the stuffs off
Old 12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Akhor

Well, a tonne of people will tell you to use a air compress or and wd 40 and other time consuming stuff. I have tried them all and they all work alright.

However, since I like to get mine really clean really fast I've found a very simple way.

1) Bash the hell out of your truck and get it all dirty (including mud) until your out of Fuel
2) On the way home stop at the local Wand Car/Truck wash and throw the truck on the ground.
3) Pressure wash it like mad. Top, bottom, A-Arms Everywhere
4) Wash your vehicle while you are there
5) Head home get a whiskey.
6) While drinking whiskey spray your truck with wd-40 all over (this will displace the water that is still on the truck)
7) Get another whiskey (stronger this time)
8) Place the truck in front of a heater or fan for 1 hr
9) Drink 3 whiskeys while you wait
10) leave it overnigth to completely dry.
11) Go to step 1.

Although people will tell you to cover the servo's and crap like that, I never have. I've also never experienced any issues using this method. Also, if something does break you probably will not care as you will be drunk. And if your not drunk, the truck will be nice and clean and ready for you to work on.

Cheers,
Akhor
Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

No way I will use a car wash as with that high pressure it will wash all the grease out of the bearings and force water where it should not be! Seen it happen MANY times on motorcycles!

I use Wildcat Extreme Cleaner and blow off with compressor air. When at the track I have a small air compressor I blow off my truck in between races. Then about ever 3 or 4 months I take it all apart clean and service everything including but not limited to totally disassembling my differentials clean then refill will oil and grease, change the oil in my shocks.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWC47&P=ML
Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
benzzyo5

ORIGINAL: Akhor

Well, a tonne of people will tell you to use a air compress or and wd 40 and other time consuming stuff. I have tried them all and they all work alright.

However, since I like to get mine really clean really fast I've found a very simple way.

1) Bash the hell out of your truck and get it all dirty (including mud) until your out of Fuel
2) On the way home stop at the local Wand Car/Truck wash and throw the truck on the ground.
6) While drinking whiskey spray your truck with wd-40 all over (this will displace the water that is still on the truck)
11) Go to step 1.

Although people will tell you to cover the servo's and crap like that, I never have. I've also never experienced any issues using this method. Also, if something does break you probably will not care as you will be drunk. And if your not drunk, the truck will be nice and clean and ready for you to work on.

Cheers,
Akhor
u say u like to clean it fast thats the longest way, place it in front of a heater for one hour? leave it over night? if u had a compressor then all u have to do is blow it off, it also dries it too. very good
Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
burnchassis3

ORIGINAL: 46u

No way I will use a car wash as with that high pressure it will wash all the grease out of the bearings and force water where it should not be! Seen it happen MANY times on motorcycles!

I use Wildcat Extreme Cleaner and blow off with compressor air. When at the track I have a small air compressor I blow off my truck in between races. Then about ever 3 or 4 months I take it all apart clean and service everything including but not limited to totally disassembling my differentials clean then refill will oil and grease, change the oil in my shocks.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWC47&P=ML
Bearings are sealed.if they aren't,they aren't any good anyways,and you need new 1's.
CS
Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 AM
prinler4256

I use Nitro Buggy Blast then light it on fire.

Guess it doesnt work!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 AM
spiftacu1ar

LOL, that was smart.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 AM
amwhite2005

Everyone uses an air compressor. If you dont have enough money for an air compressor, just use some car cleaner/WD-40 and a rag. Sometimes a tooth brush for those difficult to reach places. I have done this for many gallons, OK it doesn't look like new evrytime take it out again (infact, far from it). Every few months I take it all apart and totally clean it, absolutely everything, like 46u.

Even the shocks...
Old 12-15-2006, 05:48 AM
DavidKirkbride

prinler4256 what the hell did u do that for? are u cracking up. youve probably destroyrd youre car
Old 12-15-2006, 08:31 AM
mordraid

air compressor, and on a lower budget you can get air spray cans for cleaning computers. They are awesome. They are cheaper but on the long run they surely will cost you more than an air compressor.

As for reaching the small holes and tiny places, use an old toothbrush.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 AM
JohnnyReptile

Thanx for the tips, As of right now I am breaking it all down to change out some parts and clean it good. I had taken it out the the park to bash it and caught some good air and snaped a shock rod on landing. I guess nose first is not the best way to land, LOL. But I ordered about $200 in new parts and am going to get a new body to custom paint for it. I want a body to make it look nice and the stock body for beating the hell out of. After all is done I will have some pics to post. Thanx again for the tips. I have been basically doing it right from the start then. I have used wd-40, nitro cleaner and compressed air.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 AM
DriftProjectR

lol. i take all the electronics off my 8ight t and the motor and throw it into the shower with me real quick, then right after blow it all off with an air compressor. =)
Old 04-28-2007, 11:46 AM
psiturbo

Tools of the trade: Unofficial Edition:

- I use one or two old toothbrush or just buy the tiny ones for kids.

- a small set of Art and Crafts plastic paint brushes.

- one or two small size hardware store paint brushes.

- One main large one to cover big areas.

-A box of Q-Tips.

-a few clean rags.

-Spray plastic water bottle.

-a small plastic cup.

-dish washer soap.

-Carb Cleaner.

-After Run Oil.

-WD-40.

For cleaning a regular spray bottle with water and if you want add a few drops of dish washer soap. I have noticed hot water works best in a cup. I usually dust it out with the big paint brush then I proceed to wet the brush so its easier to remove all the dry mud. I do the same thing with a wet toothbrush, getting in all the corners so the mud is no longer dry.
I swap between brushes and control how wet they are with a clean rag. Once I got must of it out I then start with the wet Q-tips getting all the tight areas were all the other brushes dont reach.

I never shoot water from the hose or on the sink straight to the tires because one time I did it and they inserts got soaked badly. It took me weeks to make it dry. The tires were super heavy from all the water. It got in from the small hole the wheels have and from cracks on the rubber from bashing. I just wet them with the toothbrush and wipe them clean with a rag.

After all of the dirt and mud is out I do the whole thing again, but with WD-40 and the results are amazing. As you have noticed its not a 20 minute deal, I take my time; around an hour or so to clean the truck/buggy/On-road car. Its a $300 to $600 or more toy that needs to be taken care for accordingly.

Never EVER spray water directly to the elctronics. I use a lightly wet brush and rag to wipe them clean and Q-tips to reach under the servo arms and in between the servo cables etc.

For the engine I use carb cleaner because it has much more pressure than WD-40 and dries instantly. Just be very careful with the servos and receiver because it will eat up the housing plastic. You wont notice it right away, the chemicals work little by little until cracks start to show up (mmh, I wonder how he knows that?) Did Did Diri, Yep, I learned it the hard way.

Once done cleaning get a cheap hair dryer to dry everything off. Some after run oil, charge those batteries and ready for the next bashing session!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Akhor

11) Go to step 1.

Cheers,
Akhor
Sorry but you are completely wrong. Drink good rum and not wiskey. Geez.