Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Problem With New Savage X SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 AM
DavidKirkbride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With New Savage X SS

Morning/Afternoon

i just got my savage x ss built by my local hobyshop for 95GBP which is like 160 dollars and the man at the shop ran 1 tank through it before he gave it to us and me and my dad decided to try run 3-5 more tanks through it before christmas so it was all ready to tune on christmas, so earlier today we put it on my bucket outside (stand) and we started it easily and it was idling very high, i tryed adjusting the idle and low speed needle but when i did it didnt start. so i turned it back to where it was, what is the problem here? and also the brakes seem very excellent when i apply the brake manually by hand on the car but not when i do it on the transmitter, whats going on there too, ive herd to cut a peice of fuel tubing and stick it before the spring to tigten it up?! i dunno if thats the thing to do but please adivse me on what to do bout the idle sometyime today i needa get these 4 tanks run through so on christmas its ready to rock

Thanks

Regards David Kirkbride
Old 12-23-2006, 09:13 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Problem With New Savage X SS

Well, coming from somebody pretty inexperienced - I would say don't touch the LSN unless as a last resort. I'd first fiddle with the throttle adjustment knob on the radio - if that doesn't fix it, then take the air filter off so you can see the gap in the carb - then open it a bit wider and try again. Once you get it started, if it's revving too high, first try to bring it down with the knob on the radio, but if that doesn't bring it down enough, screw the carb screw so the gap gets smaller and the idle comes down to normal..

I did all these steps the other day, and surprisingly managed to get my Lightning GT running pretty well.. I AM very inexperienced with tuning, but as far as the LSN goes, I only mess with it if there's a bog off the line..
fergus91

with the brakes you take the spring out then replace it with a pice of fuel tubeing the same length as it

also you should fully run it in before you eaven think about tuneing
amwhite2005

Dont worry about the idling till after your 5th tank at least. Mine idled high, and it will be hard to correct until the motors properly run in. Just leave it be.

The brakes, yes you can put some fuel line in, that will help. What throttle/brake servo are you running?

Have you watched the DVD it came with? That tells you the factory needle settings, I'd return to them for now. It also has some useful tips during break in and for tuning, very useful if you are new to nitro.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:16 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK if these guys say don't touch it - don't touch it.. Was just telling you what I would do cuz I happen to be here and you said you were in a rush.. Let us know how it turns out though..
Old 12-23-2006, 09:26 AM
ThermalRD

The high idle can be a few things. It could simply be a "high" idle. If thats the case, adjust it properly. Read the manual for the motor, that came with the XSS. Its good to become familiar with this, before even starting it. Checking for a proper gap in that carb, should be done during assembly. 1mm, or a credit card thickness as some say. And during break-in, being rich, you'll likely raise the idle anyway. Thats one scenario. Another would be a lean LSN. If you are lean, your idle will shoot right up, if yer just sitting there. Thats easy to check for. When sitting in place, observe how much oil the pipe is spitting out, and smoke. If its alot, you are not lean there. Another possibility would be a loose glo plug. Often people loosen them to help start the motor, and then forget to re-tighten the plug after its running. That will cause over-heating, and a high idle. Easy to fix, check to make sure the plug is snug. Now for the brakes, you will need to make sure there isnt too much slop in the linkage. If it seems ok, then set the EPA properly on the radio for the brakes. That would be your End Point Adjustment. That will increase the throw of the servo, giving stronger brakes. The stock dual brakes on an XSS are very strong, even without fuel tubing replacing the spring. Mine will lock right up. This also depends on your servo. Though anything with around 100oz of torque will do a good job on throttle/brake duty. Good luck with the XSS!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:21 AM
DavidKirkbride

ok i see, could i just keep the brake slightly on, which i was doing before for half a tank or would the engine overheat as its still idling very high.