Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

christmas break-in

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:29 PM
klempa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default christmas break-in

I am getting a savage x for christmas. It is goin to be about 40 degrees when i break it in on christmas morning when i break it in, should i put a sock on the cooling head,tinfoil, both, or nothing.
thanks-
-
Old 12-23-2006, 04:36 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: christmas break-in

I would put both tinfoil and a sock. Make sure you get the engine up to at least 210 degrees! To cool is just as bad as to hot. How you break in the engine will have to do with how long it last and how well it runs!
Good Luck and have fun.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM
satanhanx

my question relates to this. I'm still breaking in my x ss that I got about a week ago, and it's kinda cool here today, about 50 degrees. Anyway, I'm past the idling tanks, and am trying to just drive in small circles, up to half throttle, as per hpi's instructions. The problem is, just about every time I touch the throttle, the engine stalls out. If I ease into it as slowly as I can, it will sometimes stay running, but any quick movements on the throttle will make it stall. I know I'm still rich, I've turned the hsn about 1/2 turn in, but all other needles are still at factory settings. I'm thinking that temperature is my problem. After idling through about a half tank, the motor was only about 160 degrees. When I was able to rev it up slightly before stalling, I got it up to about 180, but that's it. Should I try the sock trick? I've never done that before, my rs4 has never had this kind of problem, and was much easier to break in and tune. thanks for any advice.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Revo Eater

I would lean it out until you get it around 220f. You shouldn't need a sock or tin foil at 50 f. Factory settings are very rich. You wouldn't hit 220 on an 80 degree day with the factory settings. Also when cooling down between tanks, be sure to put the piston at BDC.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:37 PM
satanhanx

well, only reason I stopped trying to lean it out is, cuz after turning the hsn 1/2 turn, there is no differance in temp. I would have thought I'd see some increase after 1/2 turn. And I actually go one step further in between tanks while cooling. I put a couple drops of after run oil in there, just to ensure an easy start the next time around.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:15 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I broke my 4.6 SS by heat cycling method and in 70 degree weather I hand to wrap my head to get it up to temperatures as well as I had to lean it out just a little to keep it running. I recommend to run it as rich as you can on break in and wrap the head if need be to get it up to at least 210 bear minimum.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:09 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used tinfoil on my stock 25 engine. This kept the engine running strong. After u run about 4-6 idle tanks with stock trim I would lean out the engine about 1 -2 turns. This should give u a big increase in power. To keep it running rich I would turn up the low end screw 1/8 turn on the carb. This depends on how cold it is but by doing this u increase power. Go easy on it for a while but u need to keep ur temps up. I broke my engine in while it was snowing, abot 25 degrees.