Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Best Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Inky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Engine

What is the most bad ass cheaper end engine that i could throw in my savage and make it way better
Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Best Engine

There are many engines that many would consider the best engine. It's all a matter of opinion. However, all will agree that the stock engines are low grade in performance.

Some engine you will hear continuously are:
1) SH and SH derivatives (Mach, LRP, XTM, etc.).
2) Novarossi .28's
3) STS (D28M and D30M) <<<These are very powerful engines for extremely cheap prices.
4) Others will say Axial and Surefire .28 & .32
5) Picco; these include Ofna-Force (Ofna-Force are Picco derivatives)
6) OS .21 V-Spec (expensive, but race grade)
7) Mugen Ninja .28 (an OS derivative)

The list goes on; these are all I can think of roght now.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:22 PM
benzzyo5

an STS engine eathier the .28 or the .30 there both beasts. i had the sts .28 and it was loads of fun and torque i can't imagine the .30 the only thing with the .30 is it will destroy the dog bones and diffs more easy. i would get the sts .28. u can get it eather at racernine.com or topspeedtoys.com
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

STS 28 or 30 is a good engien and priced right.
http://www.topspeedtoys.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=23_27
Old 12-28-2006, 12:02 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the sh 28 prospec? Is that worth the money?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

There are many engines that many would consider the best engine. It's all a matter of opinion. However, all will agree that the stock engines are low grade in performance.

Some engine you will hear continuously are:
1) SH and SH derivatives (Mach, LRP, XTM, etc.).
2) Novarossi .28's
3) STS (D28M and D30M) <<<These are very powerful engines for extremely cheap prices.
4) Others will say Axial and Surefire .28 & .32
5) Picco; these include Ofna-Force (Ofna-Force are Picco derivatives)
6) OS .21 V-Spec (expensive, but race grade)
7) Mugen Ninja .28 (an OS derivative)

The list goes on; these are all I can think of roght now.
okay Jim... i have to correct you a little bit....

Force engines have nothing to do with Picco...Force are Taiwanese made and sold by Ofna. Picco's are made in Italy and are there own company, except in North America Ofna distributes them....But a Force engine is not even close to a drivative of Picco...

Mugen Ninja.. Its made by GRP engines out of italy, absolutely nothing to do with OS....where you got that from IDK......As well the Ninja engines are bump start only, they have no provisions for running in a Savage.

As well the OS VSpec is also a bump start only engine, it will also not work in a Savage.

SO if you dont have proper information you should refrain from offering advice, as you clearly dont know as much as you had though you did... No insult meant, but advising someone to buy a VSpec for a Savage could cost someone alot of money..... Or telling someone their Force engine is made by Picco LOL......
Old 12-28-2006, 12:35 PM
benzzyo5

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

people say it's like the sts, but i would pick the sts .28, buy it from the link 46u gave you
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

Everything I've ever heard would suggest that the answer is an unequivocal and resounding YES.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:24 PM
46u

SH makes very good engines and make engines for many like LRP, XTM Sprotsworks and quite a few more. A few years back there was some problems with the SH 28 but since has been fixed. SH has come a long way in a short time.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Revo Eater

I have the STS .28 and am very happy with it. I may try the .30 in the spring.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 PM
benzzyo5

i heard that the LRP spec 3 was a beaster[X(] i saw a video of it and they are
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: supertib

Force engines have nothing to do with Picco...Force are Taiwanese made and sold by Ofna. Picco's are made in Italy and are there own company, except in North America Ofna distributes them....But a Force engine is not even close to a drivative of Picco...
From what I have read in the past, Ofna and Picco have collaborated together. This is why I say this. Aside from only distributing Picco, I was under the impression Ofna and Picco were in deeper than that.

If you have links to this information, post it. I would want to delve into your depth of knowledge concerning Picco and Ofna-Force. (Just because Force is manufacturing engines in Taiwan does not mean these engines do not carry design features used on Picco. If this is absolutely wrong, please post some links so I can better learn this information. I did a Google search and all I came up with are sites selling Picco and Ofna products, not informational sites.)

Mugen Ninja.. Its made by GRP engines out of italy, absolutely nothing to do with OS....where you got that from IDK......As well the Ninja engines are bump start only, they have no provisions for running in a Savage.

As well the OS VSpec is also a bump start only engine, it will also not work in a Savage.
Your right about the OS Vspec and Mugen Ninja engines not being suitable for Savages. They are meant for race buggies. I do not know if they make pullstarts for these engines but I was under the impression there are pull start and adaptor starter pins; I heard of mounting one of these engines into a Savage. However, it might have been a custom job.

Yes, GRP is not OS, but who is to say GRP did not collaborate with OS to develop the Mugen Ninjas? Where did get this information? I read it in an RC mag (RC Driver I think, it's more than a year ago that I read this). I am saying this because based on this article, GRP probaly used a lot of cues from OS in developing this engine. No, the Ninjas might not be direct derivatives as far as interchangability of parts, it's the design cue I am refering too. The same could be said about Picco and Ofna engines (but then, I do not know if the parts between Piccos and Ofna engines are interchangable).

Again, provide links to give me more information that would correct my impressions. As I have said in response to dozens of your other posts, I want information to learn more.

SO if you dont have proper information you should refrain from offering advice, as you clearly dont know as much as you had though you did... No insult meant, but advising someone to buy a VSpec for a Savage could cost someone alot of money..... Or telling someone their Force engine is made by Picco LOL......
I was not clear in my listing of engines in my previous post. I should have mentioned that these are engines you will read about in thousands of posts and if you want to explore more about them, to read up more on them and make your own decision. Of course, anywone doing the resarch will discover that some of these engines are intened for race buggy use and not for Savages.
I admit, I do not know much about Ofna, Picco, nor Ninjas, I never touched those engines. I just threw them out there because of the thousands of posts everyone banters on concerning them.

Also, try to make this post instructional instead of directly correcting me. This post is not only for me, this post is for those who want to know what engines we Savage bashers believe are great.
For example: You addressed me directly. You could have said instead:
"An important note about what Jim said concerning OS and Mugen engines: Those engines are bump start only and do not have the capability to mount pullstarters or rotostarters."
That way all considering these engines (including me) would be better informed.

A bit of freiendly advice too: the phrase "...as you clearly dont know as much as you had though you did... " in your last paragraph could have beed left out . Even though you apologized for it with the immdiate phrase "...No insult meant...," the other phrase still made it sound insulting anyway. These are statements the moderators will edit out since they do not contribute to the instructions and/or information that we are trying to convey. To prevent the apperance of being overbearing, it's best to leave them out to begin with.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 PM
NitroVenom

Can a rotostart off of the savage 25 engine fit on the sh 28 prospec. It looks like it can but I dont want to take the chance and buy a pullstart and not be able to change it over. I did that with my collari 30 and I will never do it again. I am to lazy to deal with a pullstart. lol
Old 12-29-2006, 02:17 PM
supertib

sorry guy... I work two jobs and dont have alot of time to make long posts... so i try to be breif and to the point....sometimes I come off wrong, but i dont mean to be insulting... I am trying to be straight and to the point... Picco most likely isn't going to share design info with a Taiwanese manufacturer like "Force" who can make engines at a fraction of the cost Picco can..... OFNA just distributes Picco in North America Picco is its own entity entirely different then OFNA.....

The designer of the GRP engines is Mario Rossi who left the Novarossi family business to work his own line of engines.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
jddimck

How about a strong engine for the MT2 w/ 2 speed and all aluminum. I have the 18SS, but want more. How can I find which type of engines are compatible? Thx for any help, James
Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM
NitroVenom

A os 18 tz is a great motor as ive heard but you will need a diffrent manifold to fit the exhast. You can only fit a smallblock engine in there so ur choices are a little limited.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 PM
joeseif

I just got the sts 30 for mine. I am waiting for the exuast and th ecluth shoes till i get to hear it run. from what everyone has told me I am going to be happy. the quality of part, fit and finish look great and it seems that the engine was manufacured with good care and attendtion to detail. I have posted some questions about set up and here are links to what everyone old me:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5144869
this post might also be helpful:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5159382
When you buy a big block new I find that it's best to start with the pull starter till you get it broken in a little due to the high compressoin. Then once you get about 10 tanks or you start to notice it's easyer to pull throw that back plate on and get a roto start.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:18 PM
jddimck

Thx. I have also heard that the .18TZ is a great engine. Some are telling me to much power and I should go w/ the .18 CV-RX. Any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
joeseif

better too much then nt enuff. .18 is a sad cry rom too much
Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 PM
NitroVenom

I dont know much about the os series except for what I have had heard. You cant use the cv-rx because it has a short crankshaft. You can use the os 18 tz but you need a diffrent setup for the clutch. The 18 ss has a diffrent style crank than most of the aftermarket motors but you can just put on a diffrent clutch that fits onto the tz. I dont think you can have to much power. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
joeseif

i think the .18 would be like puting a super high out put 4 cyclinder in a car that needed a 318. in one to one terms.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM
jddimck

It sounds like its the .18TZ. Thx to all that helped!!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

A note abou the .18TZ. As NitroVenom said, the .18TZ is a small block. I never messed with an MT2 before, but if the MT2 mounts small block engines, the .18TZ will make it rock. Now, if the MT2 mounte big block engines, you would have to get an aftermarket engine mount (or make a custom one if aftermarket is not available) with the correct dimensional specifications to make it fit properly.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:39 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

an 18TZ in a Savage would be like a Honda B16 in an F250-retarded and useless.

stick with a big block, because otherwise you'll wind up with a ridiculously expensive paperweight. and also, Mark isn't selling engines through www.TopSpeedToys.com anymore...his new website is www.STSMicroEngines.com

now go buy a .28 or .30, you won't be disappointed!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Chronic

TBJ.... First, where the heck have you been?
Second, the thread was hijacked and those guys are talking about dropping the .18TZ in a MT2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.