Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What is the good brake for SavageX

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Harvz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the good brake for SavageX

The Sock brake of the SavageX sucz. I upgraded it with double steel disk, but it's only good for couple run.

Any body know a good brake that is reliable & last longer, or any tips?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: What is the good brake for SavageX

i like this brake kit, the stock pads lasted about 5 gallons, also just don't go so hard on the brakes i usually let my truck coast down but like others slam on the brakes hit the gas slam on the brakes and thats how they wear so quick http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKXB7&P=7

i like the single brake kit's better.

i never buy anything integy but i have to say that this is a good kit, and thats the only thing they make thats good
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Stablock

I've posted this several times. It's a great way to improve the fiber disc brakes on a Savage by 110% that will cost you pennies !!!!!!!!!

I’m sure most will agree that the fiber brakes on a Savage are O.K. at best and fade a great deal. Keeping the disc clean with alcohol helps but they still suck. I’ve done a lot of research on brake topics in tons of forums and talked to a lot of people. They all say that you should do some, most, or all of the following:

1) Get a Hump-pac. (Well, I got it and I didn’t see a little brake improvement.)
2) Get the Dual Brake set up with a Hump-pac. (Most people I talked to say work well at first but they fade and wear out quickly.)
3) Get the Dual Brake set up AND hi-torque servo. (Again, $$$$. But you still will get brake fade and they wear out quickly.)

Ok….the Hump-pac upgrade I agree with. That is good for both throttle/ brakes and steering and seems to be the first thing people buy for their truck. But I’m not convinced that the other two upgrades are worth the money. ESPECIALLY after doing the following:

Take the fiber disc brake off your truck and fill the little vent holes with silicone. That’s right… a good quality, indoor/outdoor, 100% silicone rubber. You probably have some already. You have to pack the holes with it. I stuck the disc to a piece of duct tape and filled the holes with a small putty knife. After it dried, I took the tape off and did the other side. After that side dried I took a razor blade and shaved both faces clean so the only silicone was in the holes.

I didn’t think it would last. I thought it would get all gummed up or fall out. But it worked (works) great. I was very hard on the brakes during testing and I’ve put over 20 tanks of fuel threw the truck and the brakes work the same as the first tank. Yes, it can flip over if you are hard on the breaks, but usually only on the grass or on a dust free road with clean tires. For the most part, it just skids. Don’t get me wrong; the brakes are not ON/OFF like a light switch. You still have complete brake control. Its like having power brakes instead of the old manual ones!

Try it and you'll see.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Harvz

How much should be silicone sticking out from the hole, or just flush on the disc brake ?

Thanks Stablock, precaite it !!!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Vigilante212

It needs to be flush re read his post.
This is an interesting thing I might try it after my breaks wear down.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Stablock

I used a razor to shave it flush but it seems to stick out a little. Remember, this is on a stock single fiber disc. I'm telling you, I never have brake probles after this mod. I also took the metal "pads" and took the glaze off with 100 grit sand paper.

So many people told me they are gonna try it but I never heard back. If you do it, please share your results.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Vigilante212

I wont be able to attempt it for quite some time I still need an engine for my truck and wont be able to break it in until april. Unless I can find a warm building I can run around in