Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What Problames Should I Expect???

Old 01-28-2007, 02:34 AM
ausbuggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Problames Should I Expect???

Hi, I have recently decided to get back into R/C. I stopped because I had a bad experience with a Power Racing Raptor (Please Don't Buy One!!!)
Anyway I have decided to get the real deal an get a Savage X RTR. I am just wondering what problames I should expect with the Savage, are there
any weaknessess with them and what sugestions do you have???

Thanks Heaps, Tom
Old 01-28-2007, 02:51 AM
SpikeX

Default RE: What Problames Should I Expect???

The Savage X RTR is a very good truck overall. HPI are currently offering a free X SS Upgrade Bag with every new Savage X purchase, which includes a Racing Clutch Bell, Steel Spur Gear, Steel Differentials Gears, and Aluminium Differential Cups. These parts will eliminate most of the problems with the stock Savage X, and will make it much tougher.

The stock servos are very weak, so you should replace them with good Hitec ones. The stock transmitter and receiver are also bad, and you should consider getting the Spektrum DX3.0 Package, which is currently the best around.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:26 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the Savage world at the moment, everybody is getting(and telling other people to get..) the Savage X SS. Though I'm loath to agree with people TOO much....., in this case I do think it's the better call. I know the upfront price is kind of scary, but if you look at the whole thing as a hobby that you'll be having fun with over the long term, then the X SS is the cheaper option..

When I first got into RC just spending what I did on my first Savage 25 was WAY more than I wanted to spend, but in the end I think I got lucky and got the jewel of that day's production or whatever. That truck has locked me into this addiction way too strongly..

Anyway, I also didn't want to spend so much money to have to build something I wasn't sure I could manage, and might screw up. Well, I just built my X SS, and it was easy - and fun too(winter here, nothing else to do..)

If you buy the X RTR you're gonna have to take half of it apart anyway to put in the new diff stuff. The X SS has a fairly long list of not only upgrades(pipe, tires, engine, brakes, etc..), but also qualititative improvements over the X RTR. For ex, the TVP's are better(could be that all Savs come with those now, but not sure..) They also reinforced the tranny case a tiny bit, and so on.

Plus, most guys end up really soon buying new servos, maybe a new radio, a pipe, other tires, maybe a bigger faster engine(though I do think the F4.1 is probably pretty good..), so why not just get all that from the get-go?

So that's my advice anyway. If you're gonna get an MT and be a bear, be a grizzly and get the best right away. You already made the mistake of getting the koala, so go out and get the grizzly. Like I said, looked at over a six month period it'll probably be cheaper anyway. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

only thing any RTR Savage has ever REALLY needed out of the box...ALUMINUM CLUTCH SHOES. otherwise you'll chew up spur gears like rosie o'donnell at a children buffet
Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 AM
amwhite2005

The XSS would be a better option, in the long run it WILL be cheaper, all those little bits add up to a lot. And the bigger engine is a big bonus.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
itsnotskidding

i had the "X" and have smashed mine about alot, the rear diff went and that it, will suggest you check the mesh of spur when you first get it, and all the chassis screws as they do come lose!.. have lost a few, lol..i would also suggest the servo upgrades as mentioned above,clutch shoes are a maybe in my book, if you want to bash they will be o.k.

the 4.1 engine is very good, i had run 13 gallon through mine and not a single hick up!, very happy with it, the 4.6 is better but the 4.1 can do anythinh its bigger brother can, so not realy an issue, unless you plan on racing??...

the shock oil in the X can be weak at only 10wt out of the box and could do with 35wt but its a personal opionion, the roll cage must be added to protect the engine head as the X will wheelie and the shell needs a lil cut to fit, also a wheelie bar, hump pack, (tornado 1600) is all that you need to be a basher,

hope this helps as i was not sure when i got mine but they are very cool, also check the screws on the rota start backplate as they can be lose and fall out...
nothing locktight cant solve!, plus like above they are offering alot of the diff case and cb upgrades so now is the time to buy, !!

the dx3 is good but as long as you add a fail safe to your truck and you want to bash the tf3 is good enough...
Old 01-28-2007, 02:52 PM
benzzyo5

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4315363

read this!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
KILL--ROY

The savage x rtr is great. I would run it stock, I have ran my savage .25 for 2 years now, and all I have is a tuned pipe, steel spur, and larger air filter. I would go over the truck loctit all metal to metal screws, put a better pipe on it and steel spur gear, and have fun. Believe it or not but I like the stock radio, I fine it simple to use, and very tuff. The servos are fine unless you race. No need to spend alot of money if you just bash.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
holinger91

will an aluminum clutch shoe and steel spur gear ever have to be replaced? or at least will they last 1-2 years. im asking because its rather expensive for such small peices. also, how many teeth do you recommend on the spur gear.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
amwhite2005

The clutch shoes will need to be replaced periodicly. I dont know the exact time, as that depends on what shoes you have. You also need to file the burs off.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:20 AM
DavidKirkbride

what are the burs mate?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
amwhite2005

If you have ever cut or drilled into metal before, you will know that there is little bits that stick out the sides. You then have to file them off. The same thing happens with the clutch shoes, but if you dont remove them then the rub the clutch bell and cause it to over heat.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:56 AM
[]TEX[]

Expect to replace the steering servo, spur gears and differentials since they are plastic. They do send the upgrades now, but you still have a plastic spur which you can ruin in one run.

I HIGHLY suggested you buy the kit and build it. This way you understand every part of how it works and if a problem occurs you know what to do. The X SS also has many upgraded parts out of the box, this will keep you from having to buy them later.

The money you would use on upgrades you can now spend on a high quality radio system and servos.

This may help you a bit, my build of the X SS K4.6...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5161333