Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
tiredtim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Help needed

I have just been given a Savage 3.5 for Christmas. I'm a very happy bunny, but i have a couple of questions as i'm a newby to RC.

1) Every time i roll the truck, the plastic tube which covers the receiver arial keeps getting damaged and as a result the instullation on the arial is now ripped exposing the bare wire. Is there a way of stopping this or do I just buy a pile of plastic tubes.

2) How effective should the brakes be? Mine will stop the truck but they won't anywhere near lock up the wheels!

3) Should a 3.5 pop a wheelie on flat ground?

Any other advice welcome.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Davidwoth

Default RE: Savage Help needed

Hello and welcome to our forums!
1) Every time i roll the truck, the plastic tube which covers the receiver arial keeps getting damaged and as a result the instullation on the arial is now ripped exposing the bare wire. Is there a way of stopping this or do I just buy a pile of plastic tubes.
i dont roll mine often but they do commonly break.
2) How effective should the brakes be? Mine will stop the truck but they won't anywhere near lock up the wheels!
They can be ajusted mine now lock the wheels also a fail safe is a good investment i have a dynamite race guard which is good.
3) Should a 3.5 pop a wheelie on flat ground?
No it cant there is not enough power the 25(which i have) can though with a good tune.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 AM
benzzyo5

1) cut a hole out of the back window of the body and then run the tube through

2) get a better throttle/brake servo or a new brakekit. or the ofna throttle mod

3) not sure, it could if you change the gearing on it
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
tiredtim

Thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Davidwoth

im sure theres not enough power it would have to be hevily modded to wheely
Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 AM
SpikeX

If you do not want to replace the antenna tubes every few runs, you should consider getting the Spektrum DX3.0 Transmitter and Receiver Package. It is currently the most state-of-the-art package on the market, and has many advantages, including a seemingly endless range, and NO radio interfefence whatsoever. There are no crystals, so you can safely drive with other people around you. In addittion, the receiver antenna is so small that it stays hidden under the body, where it is protected at all times.

The HPI Dual Disc Brake Set is a very good upgrade and will double your braking power. You will be able to lock the wheels instantly, and do stoppies at will.

No, the Nitro Star 21BB engine is not powerful enough to make the Savage wheelie. The Nitro Star S-25 can make it wheelie a little, the Nitro Star F4.1 is capable of making it wheelie on command, and the Nitro Star K4.6 will make it wheelie all the time.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
benzzyo5

eventually i would get a new radio but for now this works awsome. i never break antenna tubes or antenna's anymore. and i have a axial .28 and it hold up fine.

like i said above cut a hole in the body

bend the tube down and slide the body on

Old 01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
nayslayer

i like the antenna out the back idea, and definatly do the ofna throttle/brake mod.. definatly worth it.

here is a thread about the throttle mod

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3458184
Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM
benzzyo5

you don't really have to do the throttle mod, but it gives it better throttle response and better breaking
Old 01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
benzzyo5

even though it does help out with the braking the savage stock brakes aren't that good to begin with i would just get a brake kit anyway