Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Runnin rich?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
LVRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runnin rich?

I've got a xss, k4.6 while breakin' is was way to rich. took my almost 1/2 gal to tune. My ? is was runnin it rich for that long (temp never got above 200F) gonna have an effect on the engine? i'm able to get it up to temp 220 - 250F now. but when I try to pull start (warmed up engine) it seems to have no compression. I hope I don't have to replace the internals
Old 01-30-2007, 11:31 PM
bennyblanco

Default RE: Runnin rich?

the engine looses some compresion win its hot.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 AM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: LVRC

I've got a xss, k4.6 while breakin' is was way to rich. took my almost 1/2 gal to tune. My ? is was runnin it rich for that long (temp never got above 200F) gonna have an effect on the engine? i'm able to get it up to temp 220 - 250F now. but when I try to pull start (warmed up engine) it seems to have no compression. I hope I don't have to replace the internals
How far below 200F is the question..... 210 to 220F is ideal...
Breakin in is very important as it strengthens your engines components (tempers).

If you never got above 200F then you are looking at an engine that will run for many gallons, but without the performance it should have. A LOOSE feeling engine (no compression) is a sign of a worn sleeve and/or worn piston. In most cases with this it is due to break in done not reaching at least 200 or more degrees. The brass sleeve is plated and it needs to expand with the block to prevent wear in the "pinch zone" which is TDC. When you lose the pinch it causes lost compression and less performance from the engine..
However, for a poorly broken in engine you can expect at least 3-5 gallons or more before having to rebuild it. Providing that's the case that is.......

Next time you break in an engine USE this method and NOT the INSTRUCTIONS.

[link=http://www.phpbbserver.com/rcworld/viewtopic.php?t=754&mforum=rcworld]HEAT CYCLING DONE RIGHT[/link]
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
XtraLgThumbs

I'm getting ready to re-sleeve mine (air filter came off and sucked in some *****). This sounds like a great idea the question i have is do I put the LSN and HSN back to flush for this method or just leave it at the somewhat tuned settings i have now and break it in from there and then tune it again.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: XtraLgThumbs

I'm getting ready to re-sleeve mine (air filter came off and sucked in some *****). This sounds like a great idea the question i have is do I put the LSN and HSN back to flush for this method or just leave it at the somewhat tuned settings i have now and break it in from there and then tune it again.
Go back to stock settings whenever you re-sleeve. It is important to run at least a little rich during break in. I would advise you to change the piston along with the sleeve.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
XtraLgThumbs

^^ I did order a piston and sleeve. Thanks again
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: XtraLgThumbs

Whenever you replace the piston/sleeve you have to "re-break in" the engine. So return to the settings you had it when you broke it in, heat cycle it, tune it, and enjoy!