Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
Just get a second receiver for the XS-6- the Spektrum's not all that..
11.11%
Sell the XS-6 and get a Spektrum with 2 receivers..
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

What should I do??(radio question..)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What should I do??(radio question..)

OK, this is the deal.. I have an LST2 and an X SS with no receiver. I have two choices basically:

1.) Get a synthi receiver for the X SS to go with the XS-6 Race Radio(what it's called in Germany..) New price is about €80.. Lately like year-old used ones are going on e-bay for €50+

or,

2.) Sell it, and buy a Spektrum DX3.0 with a second receiver. Price: €250. I'd probably get about €100, maybe €120(if I sell the receiver separatly..) for the XS-6..

So far I've only ever used stock HPI stuff really, except for one time I used a loaner Spektrum at an event I went to.. I don't race, and rarely even drive with other people. And I don't want to spend a lot. Kinda' seems steep though to pay €80 for a non-Spektrum receiver...

Anyway, is the Spektrum really THAT much better than the XS-6??? Or am I falling for the hype? Would it be overkill for what I need?? To be honest I've NEVER had a problem with my Savage 25 radio - not the least disturbance - but that's not the case with the 2-channel version of the same radio that came with my Hot Bodies Lightning GT..

Thanks..
Old 02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What should I do??(radio question..)

Tough call man. I think you will really like the XS-6 once you use it, because it really is a good radio... but it's no Spektrum. You just have to decide for yourself if you want to spend the money. The Spektrum is much better overall, but you've already dumped a ton of cash on your Savage and LST2 in such a short time...

Why did you have to use a Spektrum at that event?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM
HerrSavage

I guess cuz there was a lot going on in this huge hall where they had it.. Races over here, heli demos over there, etc..

WHAT exactly though is so much better about the Spektrum??..

Cost-wise it just seems like spending €80 for a new receiver for a lesser radio might be dumb if I could spend €150 overall (€250 for the DX3.0 with an extra receiver minus the €100+ for selling the XS-6..)

I really have exceeded my limit though on RC for a while.. But I can't believe people are paying like €50 for these year-old grubby looking receivers on e-bay..
Old 02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I guess cuz there was a lot going on in this huge hall where they had it.. Races over here, heli demos over there, etc..

WHAT exactly though is so much better about the Spektrum??..
You just answered your own question. The reason they had you use the Spektrum at that event was to avoid frequency issues. THAT is what's so great about them. Anything that operates on 2.4ghz is required to incorporate collision avoidance technology, so frequency issues are totally eliminated. It's all about the signal transmission. They have super long range, there is NO glitching, and you never have to worry about interference. Hardware wise, the Spektrum radio itself is no better than the JR radio.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:28 PM
HerrSavage

OK, well then I guess what it really boils down to is that the Spektrum's main advantage is for racers or for people who OFTEN drive with a lot of other people - neither of which really applies to me..

'Course, that could always change in the future..

To be totally honest, I don't even really know what to do when I AM around others with the XS-6.. Til now people just saw that I had this cheap stock 27mhz AM radio, and they all had good FM radios or whatever, so there wasn't much to discuss. I guess now though I have to go ask what channel they havce, then pick one for myself and set it on the radio AND on the receiver(s)..