Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
keep trying to fix the savage X
32.35%
sell the X and wait till some thing better arrives
5.88%
sell the X and buy a hellfire
11.76%
sell the x and buy an xss
50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

should i sell my X 4 a hellfire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
steve9000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i sell my X 4 a hellfire?

hi ive had my savage X 4 just unda half a year now and i havent yet run it for 2 whole tanks apart from the run in process.the reason for this is that i have become frustrated with it because of the engine just dying when moving the throttle up half way and when this happens my spur gear melts?
should i give up the X and save up for a hellfire? im baffed.plz help!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:49 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: should i sell my X 4 a hellfire?

I voted sell the X.

Then get an X SS. Solved all the X RTR's problems.. Though your problems don't sound quality-related. No offense intended, but are you sure you have the engine tuned right??
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 PM
steve9000

trust me ive been trying to fix dis truck for bout 4 months but i cant seem to stop the spur frm melting.i think that i can stopthe car from dying but i dnt no how 2 fix da ova problem.

i have about 3 lhs around me but one has stopped repairing cars, the second doesnt deal with hpi so are not allowed to fix it and the third mainly deals wiv planes and doesnt fix cars just gives advice.

my only other option is to ask my uncle who works for ripmax if he can fix it but if he cant wot shud i do?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 PM
itsnotskidding

or lern to mess the spur properly then you can use your "X" more!!... the hellfire is good but if im honest and people will shoot me down here, the turning radius is pooh!!...

lots of tuning ability but id keep the "X", tune it, mesh it and bash it... simple!...
Old 02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
steve9000

i think ive got the mesh set properly so i got a second opinion frm my lhs and dey sed it wsnt a mesh problem
Old 02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
itsnotskidding

if he works for ripmax he should no what he is doing... if its not the mesh the rod the spur sits on could be bent and therfor moving against the cb and melting....
can you post a pic dude??...
Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
steve9000

i cant post a pic now cause i aint at my house but wen i get a chance i will post some pics
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
itsnotskidding

i bought a hellfire and sold it after i used my friends x1crt, they are good and can be amzing offroad but... you want a monster truck or you want a truggy...???...

and we dont want to lose you on this side of the forum []...lol...
Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
steve9000

thanks lol, i doubt ill be goin any where. i tink ive jus been put off by the probs ive been avin. ive neva ad a monster truck be4, the x is my 1st 1. ive also got a kyosho inferno tr-15 buggy and a thunder tiger ts-4n road car so i wanted someting different.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
HerrSavage

One thing about the X RTR, the spur gear is known for being a ROYAL PIA.. So a lot of people just switch to the old single-slipper style..

Also, check that you haven't bent anything - especially the little X under the engine. Supposedly bends really easily, and that would throw your mesh all off..

A lot of other people get steal spur gears..

I had an X RTR, and heard so many horror stories that I sold it. And later bought an X SS.. For me anyway I'm glad I did.. It all kind of depends on what you could get for your X. The stock Hellfire needs a few upgrades as well.

Since you're in the UK, you should be able to get an MTA4 S28 for a good price, and truggy-wise, also from Thunder Tiger, I'd get an ST-1. That's the truck I really kinda' want now - to go with my MT's..

So that's my advice. Not knowing your budget, I'd say as the first option try switching either to the old-style spur gear or steal spur gear(more expensive.. - maybe too expensive to justify the experiment..), then either the X SS Savage, or the MTA4 or ST-1. The Hellfire would be somewhere further down the list..

Based only on hearsay though..
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
itsnotskidding

go on hpi web site... www.hpi-europe.com

they have loads of stuff, video's and pic on the savage for people having trouble..
Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
steve9000

if i decided to sell the X i reckon i cud get max £250 and realistically £220 since it is in very good condition and clean and it also has dd brakes. if i added another £50 on then my budget would be £300
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
itsnotskidding

correct, but please please PLEASE... check and make sure you can mesh the spur right and you have not bent the tvp like patrickBW has said, if you do buy one and cant mesh you will put ALOT of strain on you engine!!!..... a metal spur does not fix a bad mesh... honest i no!!!!

lol....

its down to what you want realy, truggy handles better than a savage, (until u see mine)... buggy is slightly faster i think and lower.. again but its down to what you want....id realy realy keep the "X"... hahaha...

please...[]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
HerrSavage

If you're SURE you could get that, then my advice anyway would be to cut your losses. sell it, and start over.. The X SS has SO many upgrades over the X RTR, that I just take it as an admission by HPI that the X RTR was loaded with flaws. I'm not interested in arguing with anybody about it - it's just my and only my opinion.

So again, if you're SURE you can get that much for it, then you should be able to afford an MTA4 or maybe an ST-1. There it depends on what you want to do. For more jumping I'd get the MTA4. If you want a truggy, the ST-1. Not %100 sure though that those Thunder Tiger trucks are as reasonably priced in the UK - compared to the comp - as I assume..

If you really want a hard-core MT though, and if you can stretch your budget a bit, then defo the X SS..

Just my .02..
Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
steve9000

thanks 4 both ur opinions i wil tink long and hardv about what im going to do, but i will definatley get my uncle to chick it out b4 i do anyting.
if youve got any more suggestions or opinions to add dont hesitate to reply.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
itsnotskidding

lol....

buying an "X"ss does not solve a mesh problem...
the idea of the "Xss" is not because of a flawless "X"!!!!! i no, my friend from cml has a very good friendship with paul from hpi!!..

its like saying they bought out the 4.6 ss because the 3.5 had a blue shell, they bought the 3.5 out because the ATV had a green shell...lol

the "Xss" was bought out because its better, yes!!... but... you have a bigger engine, allu diff case, yes... but my point is the "X" is as good, if you could run that savage like you see in video's and pictures you would not sell it for another truck the same, in moderation, the "X" is not as good as the "Xss" but they released the new truck because of the new parts and power,,, apart from building it yourself, diff and 4.6 its not worth all the trouble....

im not shooting anyone down here but can people see my ppint of view??... the lad is new, needs help, if it ran like a dream that we no the savage X can run like he would not sell it, solve the prob's and you will be rewarded...[&o]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
HerrSavage

I would just point out that, from what I know, the differences between the old Savage 25 and the old SS are LESS than the differences between the new X RTR and the new X SS..

Yeah, there's the engine, the pipe, the tires, the brakes, etc.. But there's now also the different TVP's, the extra screw(I think..) in the tranny case, the engien mount, and MOST IMPORTANT, the diffs...

In other words, it's not only a performance upgrade, it's a qualitative improvement..
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
steve9000

thanks 4 ur view and no offence intended by im not a neewbie lol, ive had cars since i was 10 and im 15 now so i no my way around them. its just my 1st time wiv a hpi and truck
Old 02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Vigilante212

Sounds like your clutch is slipping causing your CB to overheat melting your spur. Change to aluminum shoes and a vented clutchbell should prevent your spur from melting if its meshed right.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
itsnotskidding

100% agree, but why sell his "X" for a new truck, he then needs to get electrics, not shooting anyone down but an "X" can last and do anything an "Xss" can do, if a guy melted a spur gear and came into my lhs where i use to work and said, its melted, i wanna sell ths and give you more money then yes id take it but id be thinking what a plonker...lol

the "X" is good, why sell it for a silly reason as a bit of melted plastic!!??>....

if you lived near me i would tune it and sort it out and id almost 98% say you would not sell it,....

these trucks take alot of learning and only then will you understand what the new trucks offer and why, not over a bit of plastic that is not in place correctly...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
itsnotskidding

p.s sorry no offense ment...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Sounds like your clutch is slipping causing your CB to overheat melting your spur. Change to aluminum shoes and a vented clutchbell should prevent your spur from melting if its meshed right.
Yep, thought that too but forgot to say it.. Melted SG's mean overheated CB's.. So Steve, maybe the first thing you should do is take your engine out, take off the clutch bell, see how it looks, and maybe clean it up as well as you can.. I NEVER had CB problems with my 25, but I did do that once cuz I read about it on a forum(here probably..). The F4.1 is a bit more powerful though..

First thing to do though is look at your CB..
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
itsnotskidding

k... then see what happens.. post a pic when you can dude...

didnt mean to be moody patrickWB, just i had bad day...lol..(and not my savage..haha)
Old 02-12-2007, 03:13 PM
HerrSavage

No problem even noticed..
Old 02-12-2007, 03:19 PM
itsnotskidding

if all looks o.k rub inside of cb with sandpapper so the clutch shoes can grip if slip.. also vented cb and allu shoes as mentioned above..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.