Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Just tore up my first spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:37 PM
BicketyBam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just tore up my first spur gear

Bought the Savage X on Monday - broke the engine in all week and installed a THS exhaust, failsafe and rechargeable battery pack with a new switch yesterday and today. I did some tuning and finally had it running pretty good. I almost had it doing donuts on a dry road - I mean it was screaming. Then I built a nice little snow jump in the cul-de-sac and was having fun with that. Apparently I hit it going to fast and the next thing I new my truck wasn't going anywhere. I ran over and sure enough 3/4 of the spur gear teeth were gone. So tonight I get to learn how to change a spur gear. I going to take it off tonight and run to the HS first thing in the morning for a replacement (I called already and they have one). I already have a metal one on order.

Man, this is an addicting hobby. If anyone wants to post some useful tips, be my guest. I'm sure people have done this before.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:43 PM
itsnotskidding

Default RE: Just tore up my first spur gear

1... never land a jump with the gas on, it will strip the spur, 2.... snow, after running it in...[] oh and screaming?... how many tanks you run through it??...

sounds like you are having fun anyway dude, just mesh the steel spur properly!!...

oh and keep bashing!!....[>:] [>:] [>:]
Old 02-17-2007, 05:50 PM
-SomeGuy-

Its good to hear your doing your own repairs, this way you get to learn from your mistakes. About the metral spur makes sure you get a matching clutch bell, the stock bells you have now will get shreded in about 1 tank with a metal spur. Oh and welcome to the forum .
Old 02-17-2007, 06:06 PM
BicketyBam

ORIGINAL: crash_alot

1... never land a jump with the gas on, it will strip the spur, 2.... snow, after running it in...[] oh and screaming?... how many tanks you run through it??...

sounds like you are having fun anyway dude, just mesh the steel spur properly!!...

oh and keep bashing!!....[>:] [>:] [>:]

1. I didn't know that. It wasn't a huge jump, but I was flying nonetheless. Lesson learned.

2. Not sure what two is I was on the road, but had taken some plowed snow and moved it into the street for my ghetto fabulous jump.

3. Screaming in that I finally got it to run past mid throttle without sputtering and sounding like poop. The THS pipe sounds great.

4. I ran through 5 tanks before I started tuning it.

I am having a blast with this thing!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 PM
evaderstbasher

in both my cars, i tear up spurs, i set the mesh right i know i do.. i know what my problem is also.. i like to be heavy on gas when i land its tough because a lot of times it will hit a bump and then it wil rev up and land with the gas on.. and i can hear it screeching the whole time after that.. by the end of the tank its gone... i think ive made it like 5 tanks without changing a spur :] i never got a steel one.. but im working on my heavy gas addiction and i have been trying to control it.. its just soo much fun..
If its not the spurs.. its the diffs.. everytime, ive actually gone 2 tanks now in the snow without anything breaking.. YAY
Old 02-17-2007, 06:10 PM
BicketyBam

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

Its good to hear your doing your own repairs, this way you get to learn from your mistakes. About the metral spur makes sure you get a matching clutch bell, the stock bells you have now will get shreded in about 1 tank with a metal spur. Oh and welcome to the forum .

I am a pretty handy guy and I did a lot of my own work on my Mustang (until I got to the supercharger). Granted these are smaller parts that regular car parts, but the concept is the same. I will ask about the matching clutch bell. They didn't say anything to me at the LHS about it. I'll ask her about it tomorrow when I go to pick up my plastic one.

Thanks for the welcome. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-17-2007, 06:11 PM
BicketyBam

I guess they don't work too well when they look like this:

Old 02-17-2007, 06:14 PM
evaderstbasher

mine are usually worse than that :]... i have had some interesting items come out of that area
Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Dont sweat it, the plastic spurs are disposable anyways. Like evaderstbasher siad, the plastic spur gets stripped in some very intersting ways. I even had pebles imbedded in mine! I guess the friction made the spur so hot that the teethe melted off and any bebbles in the area was simply pressed into it like m&ms into a choclate chip cookie.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 PM
evaderstbasher

jim, you reccomend i switch to steel? bc i dont like changing the spurs :] will it hurt nything if i do?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I personally prefer steel to plastic. Like mentioned previously, be sure to get a quality hardened CB as well if you get a steel spur.

There are many plastic die hard fans and they will tell you that plastic is the way to go and you should learn to mesh the gears properly. Plastic or steel is a matter of preference and each has its advantages and disadvantages. The plastic fans are correct about one thing: a proper mesh is essential for both plastic and steel. A poor mesh will rin both; the difference is plastic is cheap ($4) and steel is expensive ($45+).

Steel has the following advantage: no more stripped spurs, strength.
Its disadvantages: heavier and more moment of enertia (hurts acceleration). The torque that would normally break the plastic spur is transmitted further down the drivetrain to potentially break someting else.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 PM
BicketyBam

When I go to install the new plastic spur gear tomorrow, is there any adjusting that needs to be done or do I just reattach it and screw the unit back in place?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Just attach the screw and tighten down according to how much torque your engine makes. The HPI slipper design is pretty crappy and the bolt will all off almost 9 times out of ten. I crank mine down all the way and live with the consequences.

As far as adjustments, just mesh it correctly, thats it. You might want to adjust your tranny shift points too if you changed your CB/spur gear ratio.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

Bought the Savage X on Monday - broke the engine in all week and installed a THS exhaust, failsafe and rechargeable battery pack with a new switch yesterday and today. I did some tuning and finally had it running pretty good. I almost had it doing donuts on a dry road - I mean it was screaming. Then I built a nice little snow jump in the cul-de-sac and was having fun with that. Apparently I hit it going to fast and the next thing I new my truck wasn't going anywhere. I ran over and sure enough 3/4 of the spur gear teeth were gone. So tonight I get to learn how to change a spur gear. I going to take it off tonight and run to the HS first thing in the morning for a replacement (I called already and they have one). I already have a metal one on order.

Man, this is an addicting hobby. If anyone wants to post some useful tips, be my guest. I'm sure people have done this before.
I personally would forego the steel spur. Loctite for your engine mount screws is number one on the list.

also, it's WAY easier to change your spur by removing the top of the transmission, rather than doing it the "old school" Savage way, which entails removing the engine and fuel tank.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Vigilante212

Yea especially if you have the new x transmission its super easy to remove the top. If you bought an RTR chances are it wasnt meshed properly to begin with. Its the first thing you should check before running an RTR I would reset it just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:17 PM
BicketyBam

Well I installed the new plastic spur gear and it was super easy. The mesh looked fine, so I didn't mess with it. I am guessing that the stripped teeth were a result of my power on landing after the jump and not the engine shifting. I just got back from running 6 tanks of fuel. I found a huge dirt parking lot about 3 miles from my house. My son and I ran it hard and the spur gear is fine. I did bust the antenna tube and I lost a body clip when I rolled it, but other than that it is A-OK. It ran like a rapped ape. [8D]
Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
evaderstbasher

I love raping apes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:26 PM
groovethumper

Good to hear from a new Savage X owner, BicketyBam. suggest sticking with plastic. I've had my Savage X for about 4 mths.
I've broken a ton of parts, most recently stripped my rear diff. I have been through 1-1/2 gallons of fuel and have yet to strip a spur yet. Like many others I only checked the gear mesh after the fact. I got lucky, it was perfectly meshed. Peace.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:27 PM
groovethumper

ORIGINAL: evaderstbasher

I love raping apes
I usually ask their permission first!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
evaderstbasher

ORIGINAL: groovethumper

I love raping apes
Overrated.

Lol
Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 PM
BicketyBam

Good to hear from a new Savage X owner, BicketyBam. suggest sticking with plastic. I've had my Savage X for about 4 mths.
I've broken a ton of parts, most recently stripped my rear diff. I have been through 1-1/2 gallons of fuel and have yet to strip a spur yet. Like many others I only checked the gear mesh after the fact. I got lucky, it was perfectly meshed. Peace.
I am hooked like a junkie on smack. I just wish it was spring. The cold sucks.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I love raping apes
it's not rape if you have permission!

hey evader...pm me, i was in Cincinnati this weekend. i'll have to pack my buggy and savvy next time i go down and do some cincy bashin

Bickety, glad you got the truck back up and runninB-) this cold weather sucks...i'm about to get some paddles for my savvy to run in the deep-arse snow, LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 AM
evaderstbasher

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I love raping apes

hey evader...pm me, i was in Cincinnati this weekend. i'll have to pack my buggy and savvy next time i go down and do some cincy bashin

Bickety, glad you got the truck back up and runninB-) this cold weather sucks...i'm about to get some paddles for my savvy to run in the deep-arse snow, LOL

You cant rape the willing as t-bird said
Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
groovethumper

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I love raping apes

You cant rape the willing as t-bird said
they usually say no. lol
Old 02-19-2007, 04:32 PM
groovethumper

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

I am hooked like a junkie on smack. I just wish it was spring. The cold sucks.
Dude it's cold up here with tons of snow. I'm out there at least three times a week. Don't let the cold stop you. Peace.