Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, stock
34.38%
Yes, but not a stock one
15.63%
No, i use a failsafe instead
26.56%
No, and i dont use a failsafe
21.88%
No, but i use an elastic band or other home made device
1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a throttle return spring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:48 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a throttle return spring?

Just wondering...

Old 02-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Davidwoth

Default RE: Do you have a throttle return spring?

i left mine on but when i put a new carb on icouldnt work out where it went and left it then i bought a fail safe(dynamite race guard)
Old 02-18-2007, 07:55 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: Davidwoth

i left mine on but when i put a new carb on icouldnt work out where it went and left it then i bought a fail safe(dynamite race guard)
In that case it might be worth super gluing that little throttle linkage cap incase it pops off.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:20 AM
BicketyBam

I bought a failsafe - pretty easy to install and it does the job.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 AM
DaveG55

Failsafe and a trs for me.
They don't really do the same things, or rather they protect against different things.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Stablock

The spring is the first thing I threw away. I never drove my truck with that spring on for a few reasons; First, It did't look like the carb could open all the way with the spring on. It sure did with the spring off! Second, it puts extra strain on the somewhat weak (stock) servo. It's trying to open full throttle but the spring wouldn't allow it. And third, and most important, you get faster throttle response without it.

Reasons for keeping it on? The only thing I can think of is if your linkage comes apart then there is a possibility of a runaway with out the spring. But, the chances of that are unlikely. Unless you bash without a body on.

Personally, the reasons for not having it is far greater then having it. So I turfed mine.

I've had my Savage for two years with over 5 Gallons of fuel threw it. I never had a runaway. I've always made sure the batteries in the receiver and radio are always charged to minimize the chances. I use to use the truck a fair bit. Now, not nearly as much (new baby). So I broke down and bought a failsafe. That way, when I blow the dust off it and take it for a burn, I'm protected against low batteries.

But I'll never put that spring back on.

Ya know what? I think that spring can be put to better use. Keep it as a spare for your favorite ball point pen!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM
evaderstbasher

the only great reason i see is if you land off a jump or somehting and a battery pops loose.. then the failsafe wouldnt work no matter waht.. thats when the TRS works..
Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM
benzzyo5

i use both
Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i threw away the spring cause it slows down the truck especially when the truck is new and the spring is stiff. i bought an fm radio so i dont feel the need for a failsfe. as far as runaways.... the savy is strong enough to handle a run into the curb at WOT without breaking.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

i threw away the spring cause it slows down the truck especially when the truck is new and the spring is stiff. i bought an fm radio so i dont feel the need for a failsfe. as far as runaways.... the savy is strong enough to handle a run into the curb at WOT without breaking.
For the record mine wasn't. A-arms, shock shaft, shock body and tvps all needed replaced.

When properly installed a trs will not slow a truck down or keep it from going fast.
Also, there is nothing in an fm radio to keep the servos from going crazy when the battery voltage drops and they will glitch from interference too. Heck, even the almost totally interference and glitch free spread spektrum systems come with built in failsafes.
But it's your truck so, as the say, "whatever"
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 PM
evaderstbasher

the reason he is soo happy abot his FM is that Fm has less interference
Old 02-18-2007, 10:10 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an mx3 and it tells me the volts im running through my radio and its not hard to tell when the batts are low in the truck. Especially when ur truck is taking huge turns even with your aftermarket servo. Ive hit a garge door last time my truck ran away and nothing broke. unfortunatly it was my niehbors garage! they were so pissed! this was before my fm and when my failsafe just stopped working.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: evaderstbasher

Less does not mean none. I have about 14 different rc's, electric and nitro, running both am and fm radios. I know about glitching and I know about batteries. I'm just trying to help out. Believe what you want and run your truck how you want and good luck to you.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I don't use a failsafe or a throttle return spring.

the runaways i've had would not have been helped by that either, like when I nosed my X-Terminator into the ground at high speed/WOT and the receiver broke free of the servo tape holding it in the battery box, thus ripping out the antenna wire...or the time my RX pack FELL OUT of my RC10GT (was improperly zip-tied)

neither runaway resulted in any damage
Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 AM
boydie1

I run both a failsafe, a trs on the carb & one from the bellcrank back to the roll bar just for good measure. The trs certainly help last bash then the linkage rod popped off the carb due to a worn ball cup on the linkage.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Chronic

It's a safety issue guys. If you run your trucks in deserted areas far from people then it doesn't really matter... but how would you feel if your 35mph 11lbs truck went shooting across the park and knocked a little baby out of it's stroller or hit a little 3 year old and broke it's leg? That's why it's required in racing, because of the other people there. Nobody gives a damn if you destroy your truck... that's not the reason these items are so important.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:33 AM
evaderstbasher

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

ORIGINAL: evaderstbasher

Less does not mean none. I have about 14 different rc's, electric and nitro, running both am and fm radios. I know about glitching and I know about batteries. I'm just trying to help out. Believe what you want and run your truck how you want and good luck to you.
I was in no way saying that i agree that just because he has FM he can ignore the problem
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: Stablock

Ya know what? I think that spring can be put to better use. Keep it as a spare for your favorite ball point pen!
deja vu, i'm sure you have said that before.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
46u

I run both a return spring on my Savage and buggy as well as the built in fail safe in my radio but I attach the spring to the throttle arm on the carb not on the linkage. On a spectrum the failsafe does not work for low receiver pack battery and the spring has saved both my Savage and buggy before.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
benzzyo5

^ i do the same with the spring attach it to the carb arm not the kinacge, i don't just beacuse if the lincage ppos off then the spring will have no use
Old 02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I don't use a failsafe or a throttle return spring.

the runaways i've had would not have been helped by that either, like when I nosed my X-Terminator into the ground at high speed/WOT and the receiver broke free of the servo tape holding it in the battery box, thus ripping out the antenna wire...or the time my RX pack FELL OUT of my RC10GT (was improperly zip-tied)

neither runaway resulted in any damage
TBJ,
Why do you think that they would not have helped? Those are classic situations where they would help stop runaways. The antenna pulls out and the rx loses signal. That's exactly what the failsafe is there for, to move the throttle to neutral (or brake depending on set up) when there is a signal loss. And a properly set up trs will return a throttle servo to idle when the servo loses power like when the battery is disconnected.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Dave...I guess I wasn't thinking when I decided in my peanut-sized brain that the failsafe wouldn't have helped in the RX antenna instance

as for the RC10GT/battery loss, I thought failsafes were ineffective in complete power loss?

Chronic-I never really thought about that either...now I feel like a big a-hole:|
Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Stablock

I call BS! The TRS does not have enough strength to close the carb if battery juice in your receiver is severed yet the linkage is attached to the servo. Try it. Turn your power off on your receiver at WOT and you will be lucky if it closes a quarter of the way.

If your battery power in your receiver becomes dangerously low, your servos become sluggish and slow to respond. If that happens (without a TRS) and you brake at WOT, it may take a full second or two before your carb closes and another second or two before the brakes start to slow down the truck! In racing, that means you missed the breaking zone after that long straightaway by about a mile and your truck jumped the banked corner and sailed clean into the 3rd row seating of the bleachers and RPMs are JUST starting to die down! That is why you need a TRS in racing! It helps close the carb in a timely manner. Same scenario WITH a TRS and you may have only over shot the corner and missed the apex and possibly drop back a position or two because some one passed you on the inside and was quicker on the throttle out of the corner! But I digress.

A TRS is to help assist the servo and return the carb to a closed position in a timely maner. In the UNLIKELY event that your linkage disconnects from the servo, the return spring will close the carb. Yes. However that is not what it is designed to do.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

stab...we're not talking about throttle return springs, we're talking about failsafes
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 AM
TM323

ORIGINAL: Chronic

It's a safety issue guys. If you run your trucks in deserted areas far from people then it doesn't really matter... but how would you feel if your 35mph 11lbs truck went shooting across the park and knocked a little baby out of it's stroller or hit a little 3 year old and broke it's leg? That's why it's required in racing, because of the other people there. Nobody gives a damn if you destroy your truck... that's not the reason these items are so important.

#1 reason for me running TRS And saving up now for another spektrum reciever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.