Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

break in woes!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM
SioXiE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in woes!!!!!

hi guys i jas finish running 3 tanks of fuel in my new savage x for break in 50 degree weather when i notice that the engine dies after 30-40 seconds in idle everytime. i also notice i have to adjust the throttle trim up when starting it just to keep it running, is it bcoz of the weather being cold for breakin? i used 20% traxxas top fuel and its spurting oil, is this normal? to make matter worst, its my rotostart failed jas as i was about to finish the 3rd tank........ when i insert the rotostart it will just spin freely as if its not connected to the engine!!! i need help bad.....
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
nextalcupfan

Default RE: break in woes!!!!!

i dont think its the rotostart it may be the one way bering
Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 PM
jumpin_high

try turning up the idle on your truck or try leaning you LSN 1/8 -1/4 a turn, your one-way bearing on the engine is probably bad thats why you engine is not cranking over
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 PM
arisking

Spitting fuel is good as you know it is rich. The one way bearing is probably slipping. Soak it in WD-40 overnight and it will work like new in the next day.

-Josh-
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: jumpin_high

try turning up the idle on your truck or try leaning you LSN 1/8 -1/4 a turn, your one-way bearing on the engine is probably bad thats why you engine is not cranking over
Probably not bad, just full of oil. Remove, clean and reinstall.
That issue will largely go away after break-in once you've tuned for performance. Although you might consider switching to O'Donnells or Byrons as the Traxxas Top Fuel has a bit much oil for me. When I switched to O'Donnells my owb issues have went almost completely away.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
-SomeGuy-

You probably flooded the engine, the combination of flooding and the torque of the roto made the bearing take all the punishment since its the weakest link. Dont worry about it to much thats what its there for.

Heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun and loosen the glow plug a little to let any extra pressure out. If it floods again take out the plug and give it a couple of turns with the roto. The fuel will spray out so be carefull not to get any in your eyes, trust me on this one [&:]
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM
SioXiE

thanks guys ill try to do your advice.. wil let you know 2morrow.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
SioXiE

to get the one way bearing can i do it without taking out my engine???? my lhs actually recomended Byron but i opt for Traxxas bcoz all my friends are running revos n tmaxx so everytime we bash we can just share fuel altogether....
Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
jumpin_high

remove the back plate

http://www.rcplanet.com/backplate_44...60936_prd1.htm
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 PM
SioXiE

i mean can i remove my backplate without taking out my engine????
Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 PM
-SomeGuy-

You can either take out the engine or remove the rear end of the truck, its up to you.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 AM
KILL--ROY

Your motor stalls because of the rich settings, turn up your idle a little bit , or blip the throttle every so often. Always loosen your glow-plug before you start your engine, this will take a lot strain off the roto, when it starts tighten it back down. The traxxas fuel is fine, I ran it for a long time. It has a little more oil but that will not hurt performance. Cleaning your one way bearing should be regular maintance. Clean as often as your air-filter. Keep up with maintance and that will save a lot of headaches
Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM
SioXiE

thanks guys will do.... gues il take apart my rear end then.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
SioXiE

i started taking out all the screws on my tvps and my skid plates to let lose my savage rear end so i can get access to my engine backplate and start fixing but it seems that i cant get the whole rear assembly out..... is there a thread with pics on how to dismatle your Savage X? i been searching for 2 days now with no success.... help!! []
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Vigilante212

Go to hpi's site and download the savage ss manual its exactly the same assembly as the x except for the easy access diffs. Go to instructions, Kit instructions/maunals, Savage ss

Its pretty easy though. Remove 4 bolts on the tvps in the rear, take the 2 bolts holding the gearbox on the engine plate off. and pull open the tvp in the back a bit to slip it off the plastic holder knob above the rearmost screw. and repeat for the other side. this will remove the engine and rear assembly. Dont forget to pop your pipe off the retainer spring also.

When you reassemble it make sure to check your gear mesh before running it. if its loose or tight realign it.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:06 PM
SioXiE

Thanks man, i was thinking just about it, dont know how i missed it.... its my day off 2morrow and its still running around 40-45 degrees here hope i would fixed it before it next week (50-60 degrees) just in time to finish my break in.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
SioXiE

and another questions, i read in some threads of people running into tha same problem like me with the rotostart, and guess what i FOUND OUT ---- were all running traxxass 20% Top Fuel !!! is it a cioncidence cause i heard it contains more oil than any fuel brand! since i was breaking in with rich settings it could have been the culprit? would anyone support this idea? cause i see a change of fuel in my near future....
Old 03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
nextalcupfan

i use byrons 20% race blend. about 1 1/2 gallons through it and no problems at all with the owb
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Neil E

Since changing to byrons 20% race blend I have not had a OWB problem in any of my HPI's in over a year.

The stalling is due to the engine breaking in. As far in to the breakl-in as you are it is time to start to lean out the HSN. I would put foil around the engine at 50 degree outside temps to help get the engine over 200 degrees. Need to have the engine above 200 for break-in. I always trim the throttle up when starting my trucks and cars. Helps them stay running untill the engine warms up. After a minute or so trim back to Mid. If it still does not like to stay running increase the idle by the idle screw on the carb. All will need to be reset once the engine is broke-in.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:59 PM
benzzyo5

thats what i use byrons 20% race blend i love it
Old 03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Vigilante212

Don't quote me on this but doesnt traxass fuel have like 15-20% oil in it thats alot. I wouldn't use any fuel with over 12%. And when your running it rich that much more oil gets in the engine so yea its part of the problem. Traxass fuel is for no offence newbies who dont know how to tune or when they do tune run too lean.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
nextalcupfan

ORIGINAL: SioXiE

to get the one way bearing can i do it without taking out my engine???? my lhs actually recomended Byron but i opt for Traxxas bcoz all my friends are running revos n tmaxx so everytime we bash we can just share fuel altogether....
if u tell them to switch to byrons them they will probably get more out of thier trucks.
then u can stilll share fuel
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
BigGrump

i started taking out all the screws on my tvps and my skid plates to let lose my savage rear end so i can get access to my engine backplate and start fixing but it seems that i cant get the whole rear assembly out..... is there a thread with pics on how to dismatle your Savage X? i been searching for 2 days now with no success.... help!!
Are you kidding? Just go to bottom of chassis and remove the 4 screws that hold the motor mount in, then unhook the gas line and carb linkage. Motor just pops out. Fix it then re-install. Just remember to re-set the mesh. You are done. Only takes a few minutes. In the life of your Savage, you will remove the engine many times for various reasons.

Dennis
Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM
benzzyo5

^^ i agree, i take mine out atleased 3 times a gallon, one just for mantaining the clutch shoes and the other times to clean the engine, so it doesn't over ehat. i have a ball driver. you only have to take out he 4 top engine screws, by doing this you only set the mesh once, it makes thing easier

i have this ball driver to do the job http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAK9&P=7
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Vigilante212

He asked how to take the rear clip off I just told him. It would be easier to take just the engine off though. BTW benzzyo thanks for that tip woulda saved me alot of hastle last time I removed my engine lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.