Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

sts dm30

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
lauderboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts dm30

hi guys

i just got my new shiney sts 30 and iam going to break her in on saturday any hints and tips and what %nitro should i use

thanks chris
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
bam.bam

Default RE: sts dm30

-Use long hot plugs like McCoy MC-59 for the break-in process.

-Take your time

-Adjust HSN first

-Take your time

-Adjust LSN

-Take your time

-Remove all head shims except the thickest one (I think it's the silver one)

-Replace with new long plug to match your nitro fuel content.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove shims after break in
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Maple Hillbilly

what motor mount did you use? i am putting the sts d30m in my savage and i only have the truckzilla mount it doesn't have the right bolt holes. any other advice will help would be great. thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Maple Hillbilly

what motor mount did you use? i am putting the sts d30m in my savage and i only have the truckzilla mount it doesn't have the right bolt holes. any other advice will help would be great. thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Bigchris090

hi about the shims, can i remove them after around 3/4 of break in, i broke the crankcase and will be taking it apart anyway.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
bam.bam

Not sure how long your "3/4" break-in period extends but I think it'll be ok as long as your in the LSN adjustment phase...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM
lauderboy

my lhs said that my x ss mount would do IT BETTER OR ELSE[:@]
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
TopSpeedToys

I bought this one for my SavageX but I've not installed it. No time to play

http://www.novarcproducts.com/savagemount.html

-Mark
Old 03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: TopSpeedToys

I bought this one for my SavageX but I've not installed it. No time to play

http://www.novarcproducts.com/savagemount.html

-Mark
I have one of those... Tough to install though... If you constantly remove your motor, stick with stock mount... and leave this for eye candy..
Old 03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
rcnitrohead

Ok guys, there is a sale on ebay. STS DM .30 for $99 and $15 shipping. That is blowout so take advantage. Quantities are limited! Im buying mine as soon as my brother gets money into his paypal account![8D]
Old 03-31-2007, 02:24 AM
SAVAGEJIM

$99! $114 INCLUDING S&H! WOW!

Is that seller from teh US or from China? If it's from China, you might as well not expect to see it until well after 6weeks. I bought several things on-line from Chinese vendors, they take way too long to ship it to you. And these were for small things (replacement starter pins, bearings, etc.). Now, waiting for a brand new D30M for at least 6 weeks would be utterly excruciating.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 AM
HeatFire

hey.. $99 and 139$ aint that big diffrence.. and by the way.. rev. 2 or the old one??
if it's the old it aint no win found that ebay sell.. dont say anything about beeing rev. 2.. and the seller is from US..

so it's probebly $99 just cos it's the old one tell us later nitro
Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 AM
rcnitrohead

I will, my bro is going to the bank today! It takes 3-4 days to transfer money into his paypal account though[] But I will buy it soon. Is there any way to tell if it is the revised version? I sent the seller some ?'s and he says it doesnt say anything on the box. Did you guys notice anything except the tighter pinch. Are there any markings? Thanks. Oh and even if its the old version, Id rather get one for $115 than buying an STS .28 for the same price shipped.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:15 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Until you actually have the engin in your hands, there unfortunately is no way of teling the differences between the old D30M and the Rev2 D30M, at least visually. The only way I know that the old and Rev2 can be distinguished is by the extraordinarily tight pinch of the piston and sleeve when you attempt to pull the pull start or turn the flywheel by hand.

The D30M I bought (but have yet to beak-in) is unfortunatly the olde version, the sleeve and piton are extremely loose, the boost port design is way different than current boost port designs seen on the Rev2 and even the Rev1. I bet my sleeve is pre-rev1!

After this disappointing discovery, I decided to mod this engine for actual use; I'm not really concerened if I may have been a little excessive on the sleeve work; I intend to run it into the ground and buy a Rev2 piston and sleeve as a erplacement anyways.

I cant wait to begin the break-in, but the weather is quite bad[] This stupid rain is doing nothing but adding humidity to the air and prolonging my agony [>:]
Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM
rcnitrohead

Hey Jim, is it really that loose? If so I guess il just sell the piston and sleeve that came with it and buy a Rev 2 version from Top Speed Toys. They are the only site I have seen with the rev 2 versions so far. I still want the engine for $100 because im very tight on money and the rev 2's go for about $135-140. I dont know but for now ill just buy the one off ebay. The Rev 2 came out for 07 right? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Until you actually have the engin in your hands, there unfortunately is no way of teling the differences between the old D30M and the Rev2 D30M, at least visually. The only way I know that the old and Rev2 can be distinguished is by the extraordinarily tight pinch of the piston and sleeve when you attempt to pull the pull start or turn the flywheel by hand.

The D30M I bought (but have yet to beak-in) is unfortunatly the olde version, the sleeve and piton are extremely loose, the boost port design is way different than current boost port designs seen on the Rev2 and even the Rev1. I bet my sleeve is pre-rev1!

After this disappointing discovery, I decided to mod this engine for actual use; I'm not really concerened if I may have been a little excessive on the sleeve work; I intend to run it into the ground and buy a Rev2 piston and sleeve as a erplacement anyways.

I cant wait to begin the break-in, but the weather is quite bad[] This stupid rain is doing nothing but adding humidity to the air and prolonging my agony [>:]

Jim if the fron of your sleeve has the wider bracing under the boost port, its the newer version...the older version had really skinny bracing..... Contact Ryan from R9 and tell him your V2 came really loose, he may send you a new P/S (piston/sleeve).................

Jim by the pics you posted your sleeve s the updated sleeve.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I would, but unfortunately, I already modded the sleeve[] Oh well, live and learn!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:36 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

I would, but unfortunately, I already modded the sleeve[] Oh well, live and learn!

dude if you say R9 said it was a tight version...they will take of you regardless if its modded or not !!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Chronic

I still haven't even torn my D30M down for cleaning and sealing... just no time. The thing is really tight. I was actually a little concerned about the amount of force it took to push it through the pinch.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I still haven't even torn my D30M down for cleaning and sealing... just no time. The thing is really tight. I was actually a little concerned about the amount of force it took to push it through the pinch.
i would never force a tight motor like thru the pinch cold...
Old 03-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Chronic

I didn't plan on it. It's sitting on my desk at work... a co-worker was examining it and as I was explaining the long break-in process and how the pinch is so tight, he turned the flywheel, simply a combination of curiousity and not knowing any better. It was straight out of the box too.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I didn't plan on it. It's sitting on my desk at work... a co-worker was examining it and as I was explaining the long break-in process and how the pinch is so tight, he turned the flywheel, simply a combination of curiousity and not knowing any better. It was straight out of the box too.
LOL...well you cant always control everything !!!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks! I sent Ryan an e-mai; I hope he responds back soon. As always, I greatly appreciate your help!

I asked him if it would be possible for him to send just a replacement Rev2 sleeve and pistion; I invested some time and effort to touch-up jobs in the block to smooth out the passageways by rounding off some of the sharp edges. If he he able to send me jsut a Rev2 piston and sleeve, I dont think I will mod that; I will only touch it up to match it to the block passage way; I want to what the stock power output feels like. I might consider modding that sleeve after I have fully broken it in.