Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

half tank lean????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
SioXiE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default half tank lean????

guys i have just finish breakin my X and well into my 10th tank and currently adjusted all my settings, im running the stock 4.1 engine on OS8 plug and Byron 20% nitro. while im tuning my engine i notice taht when the tank nears empty as in the 1/4 mark my engine suddenly runs lean as in whellie with just a tap of the trigger and my rpm just revs a lot higher, is this the half tank lean syndrome as what i have read from the other threads?? is there a way to avoid it? []
Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 AM
benzzyo5

Default RE: half tank lean????

yeah thats the half tank lean. do a serch,

or the mew era tank mod, do a serch on half tanks lean and you'll find alot of stuff
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
kurtf5

Its not a syndrome, but yea it is half tank lean.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 AM
BCKoots

Just fill it up when you start to get the half tank lean. Problem solved!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
SioXiE

thanks guys will do the search! so it cannot be avoided unless you do the new era tank mood? anyone of you guys have that mod?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM
jombo

you can try richening up the low speed needle. that may solve it for you if its only at about a 1/4 tank. think of it this way, the low speed needle adj the fuel flow from a stand still to a 1/4 throttle and if at 1/2 tank its leaning out you need to adj it acordingly.
i hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
SioXiE

thanks JOMBO, will try that too before i try the conversion. is this the link to the new era tank mod ----
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1704
Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 PM
-SomeGuy-

I' ve heard many claims to fixing the half tank lean while keeping the stock tank but im not sure how well they work.

The first one i remember hearing was something about using a piece of antenna tubing and sticking on the inside of the tanks lid where the pressure comes from, you need to have a piece of fuel tubing to give it an elbow of sorts. Tha antenna tube has to reach to the bottom and this from what i remember is supposed to equalise pressure somehow but i never looked onto it more that that.

Next is the header tank mod, look it up you should get a few results and makes sense to me why it would work but still im not sure on how efficient it is.

Some engine and pipe combos have little to no leaning effect but that could be a long and expensive process to figure out what works, maybe others could chime in with what works for them for a good combo. Supertib might be the best to ask as he has tried allot of different setups.

Some would tell you to tune it while the tank is half empty or more, this way when its full its more on the rich side and good when its getting empty. The good thing about this is that you dont have to worry about dammaging the engine by running it to lean, bad thing is it will run like a turd everytime you do a refill.

After all that i think the only option is to change the tank. The new era tank is the most popular but you lose 35cc of capacity so the run time is shorter, if you look around you can find the mount for it and be up and running with a minimum ammount of wrenching. The option that is getting more and more popular at the moment is the mid tank mod, it allows you to put almost any tank you want increasing your fuel capacity in most cases, moving the tank to a more secure position BUT requires a fair ammount of modding and moving stuff around. Keep your eyes open for the kit Chronic is working on for the mid tank, it will be a user friendly, noob friendly, all you need in one kit. From what he told me it wont be cheap but well worth it for all the benefits you get as well as how cool a mid tank savage looks .

-SomeGuy-
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
SioXiE

thanks a lot bro , yeah i been searching a lot and it leads me to these thing to which the new era tank mod would be my only option for now till i can see Chronic mid tank mod kit. i know that it is not only me experiencing this type of problem, i hope HPI too can come out with a redesign tank or update to avoid this issue.... i was bashing yesterday with my friends revos and tmaxx and they were surprise how suddenly my X would do whellies on demand ( u shud have seen the look in their face ) and run like a maniac!!!! Guess they will never knew know the secret when my tank is nearing empty!!!! someone give me a whellie bar quick!!!! LOL
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
fxrs

ORIGINAL: SioXiE

thanks guys will do the search! so it cannot be avoided unless you do the new era tank mood? anyone of you guys have that mod?
I've done the new era mod to my sons savage and my savage as well.
Although you do lose a little run time, You don't have to worry
about it leaning out and having temps going up. Once your tuned
for the day you can keep filling the tank and beating the crap
out of your savage. Here are a few pics with the mod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77697.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	656487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58795.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	656488  
Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 PM
SioXiE

thanks for the pics it help a lot to see a mod in pictures, i might have that mod if new era has the one for the X chassis.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
dickersonj

Where did you get the mounting bracket for the new era tank?

ORIGINAL: fxrs

ORIGINAL: SioXiE

I've done the new era mod to my sons savage and my savage as well.
Although you do lose a little run time, You don't have to worry
about it leaning out and having temps going up. Once your tuned
for the day you can keep filling the tank and beating the crap
out of your savage. Here are a few pics with the mod.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
fxrs

Bracket comes with the kit. The fuel tank itself is an ofna tank
that new era uses with their kit. I had to replace the tank
once because of a crack in it. I just bought the ofna tank
because I already had the bracket.