Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Are LHS employes idiots...U be the judge

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
-whitey-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are LHS employes idiots...U be the judge

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

I used to walk into my ex-lhs and take a quick look at the freshly fixed savages sitting on the counter waiting for their owner to pick them up and more than once i had to tell the guy he made a mistake here and there. On top of it all they charge 40$ an hour for fixing or slapping on hop-ups. The only reason i still go now and then is because they kiss my arse everytime i walk in, when one of my friends goes they wont look at him twice unless they want to make sure hes not stealing stuff. But when im with him they call him sir, follow him around making sure he gets whats he needs, all this because on one occasion i plopped down a 900$ cash deposite for an order i placed, since then they call me "sir" with a [sm=greedy.gif] look on their face, not like the [sm=tired.gif] i used to get lol. The really funny part is when i go i tell other customers to check out ebay [sm=lol.gif].
what hobby shop is that , hobbyville or udisco?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

My local RC store is filled with friendly people; and over the years, they have changed their attitudes as well. They used to be know-it-alls and try to push you to a model that you might not want, but now, they actually ask what you want to do (race, bash, on-road, off road, etc.) and make recommendations from their. They also go into suggesting posible upgrade parts if the RC has a part known to be faulty or weak; but they dont push that part on you if you say you dont have the money right now.

The guys at my store have earned my respect, I will actually go they to talk with them just to BS with them and have fun talking about whatever.

As for the internet vs buying in the store, I too buy most of my high dollar stuff on-line. I do go to my local store to buy replacement parts, fuel, and other stuff that I need immediately. However, they now have a very tempting offer: They will sell any kit or RTR and match any on-line price! The idea of buying a Savage X SS kit immediately hit my mind. I'll just have to compare the cost of shipping versus the cost of sales tax. If shipping is chaper, I'll order on-line. But if sales tax is cheaper, I'll buy it at my store and start building it immediately!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
silvergagt04

Thats what used to have happen to me. What I do now is do research, visit forums, websites and towerhobbies and get the part numbers I WANT. Then I just walk in and hand them a paper that has all the part numbers that I want and tell them to give me these. And if they dont have them, then I say BYE.... and I order of Tower. They always try and give me their options they have in stock, I just say NOPE and just leave. Like someone said before, fool me once your fault, fool me twice and your going to need an ice pack for that eye....[sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
youie

Hi mate! If you bought your Rc vehicle from this Retarded LHS owner, then he is obliged to sell you the correct parts in oder to preserve the after sales quality of the Rc vehicle manufacturer. So in this case he is either trying to dispose of unwanted or slow selling stock to you. Your best bet is to write a formal letter to the Distributors of your Rc brand eg. HPi and then inform them that there authorised retailer is tarnishing the HPI brand by selling non suitable parts, which will in the long term affect HPI customer confidence as far as Customer backup is concerned. If you send this by Email, then request(POLITELY) A REPLY VIA EMAIL including a contact reference number. Companies such as HPI have to hold their stature within a competitive market and a swift visit to your LHS from an HPI representative will pay particular anttention to the retailers product knowledge on HPI parts. However if the representative walks into the LHS and notices the lack of customer support, then it should be an obligation for them to brief the staff on product knowledge. AFTER ALL CUSTOMER IS KING!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: whitey�

I used to walk into my ex-lhs and take a quick look at the freshly fixed savages sitting on the counter waiting for their owner to pick them up and more than once i had to tell the guy he made a mistake here and there. On top of it all they charge 40$ an hour for fixing or slapping on hop-ups. The only reason i still go now and then is because they kiss my arse everytime i walk in, when one of my friends goes they wont look at him twice unless they want to make sure hes not stealing stuff. But when im with him they call him sir, follow him around making sure he gets whats he needs, all this because on one occasion i plopped down a 900$ cash deposite for an order i placed, since then they call me "sir" with a [sm=greedy.gif] look on their face, not like the [sm=tired.gif] i used to get lol. The really funny part is when i go i tell other customers to check out ebay [sm=lol.gif].
Hobbyville, the hpi guy at udisco might be a bit of a jerk at times but at least they know what they're talking about over there and the service is decent to good. We're lucky to have that lhs considering its the biggest in the country and has everything for everything, or can get it. Last time i went there they told me i could find what i was looking for on the second floor, i didnt even know they had a second floor! Did you know they have a machine shop? So if they dont have and cant get it, maybe they can make it, what more could you want from your lhs?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

I like the machine shop Idea, I have a mini machine shop we make small parts for some people if they need them, like custom cooling heads and stuff like that. I'm working on a roto start for my sons 1/16th scale car so he doesn't have to mess with the pull start said he's getting tired of pulling, lol.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 PM
C-Fraser..::HPI::..

Hey Sry was out bashing today..C the problem is its the only store around and sometimes u cant wait to get parts over the internet, and to the first buddy i was typen in a hurry i had to head out to work i just missed a key happens to everone, even u im sure, and NO im not French I live in Bc and Maple ridge is just outside of Vancover, and i do order over the internet from greathobbies there awsome to deal with and as i said befor sometime u need the parts and they dont have the hpi brand but somethin eles and they will say it will work but i dont and there cheap and wont take it bak
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My LHS is worse than any of yours... Not only will the guy sell me the wrong parts, he's jerk while he's at it.. Not to mention his insanely stupid prices.. I only buy fuel there now - the rest is online..... My blood pressure goes up just thinking about this place......
Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Kanza

A new store opened here in Columbus a couple of years ago, and one of the things the owners did was spend time at the local track trying to get a feel for what people wanted. Now, they're the primary store on the north end. Plus, they don't push things at you or try to give you the wrong part. They just ask you what you need. If they don;t know something, they will simply admit it and go digging for the answer.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 AM
TheOtherSide

ORIGINAL: thuglife71

C-Fraser..::HPI::..
which one do you go to?
was it at RCPitStop?

most and almost all hobby shops are like that.
when i went there and asked for some fuel
they were like fuel is fuel it dont matter what you get.
so then i asked them how much oil content is in that bottle.
they said all fuel have the same amount of oil
I get some of my parts from RC Pit Stop (aka. RC Piss Off)... and the rest of the net. If the owner smartened up and began showing care and acting like he appreciated customers, he'd likely double his business within a year or so. But... instead he rubs off his attitude to his employees and they loose sales like mad. When I bought my Savage X RTR back in Sept... after I finished paying.... he just walked away from the pay counter and ignored me... no "Thanks and see you again" or "you just bought a lot of stuff... can I help you take it to your car". What kind of service is that? Another time I asked for a few parts and mentioned I would like some info on 40 series tires/wheels.... so I walked in the direction of the wheels/tires on the wall.... he followed me 1/2 way and got distracted and that was it.... 5 min later I just left the store. The amount of times I've been in there since sept... you'd think they'd pay attention that EVERY time I walk into that store... I buy stuff. I'm not just looking at stuff, asking 30 questions and leaving... if they have it... I just buy it. Makes me want to put some $$ together and open my own hobby shop!

Only reason I still go there is that the next nearest store is 1/2 hour plus away. Enough from me... I'll stop now.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Thorough Hobbyist

Has anybody shopped at the Ultimate Hobbies store in California? It's in city of Orange and its the same as ultimatehobbies.com. I hope the store is a good place where they are straight forward and honest. I think it was the owner or someone I saw displaying items on a news show once. If it's the Ultimate Hobbies guy with the big arm muscles(his "credentials" ) then I got a good impression from him but that was on TV. I'm probably gonna get the Savage X SS kit from there for $359 as long as it's the same price when I get it which will probably be in a few months. I added another month of waiting because of some tools I realize I need to add to my list and the cost of the radio and servos. Speaking of which, I'll probably get the Spektrum DX 3.0 there too.

And has anyone been to Hobby People on the same road? It's on Katella. Just good to have two stores to go to for more immediate parts support. Of course I will do my research and know what I need walking in. But sometimes I need some advice too and I'm hoping people there know the X SS really well. Oh well at least HPI headquarters is close enough too but I won't be here forever. Eventually I'll go to Canada my home oh I can't wait to go there . I read posts on bad stores from people in Canada. No offense to Americans, but are the hobby store owners up there American? I mean really, with their attitude they would qualify to work at the DMV or some cheap Jiffy Lube stop. I know I had to deal with that.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 AM
97talontsi

ORIGINAL: TheOtherSide

I get some of my parts from RC Pit Stop (aka. RC Piss Off)... and the rest of the net. If the owner smartened up and began showing care and acting like he appreciated customers, he'd likely double his business within a year or so. But... instead he rubs off his attitude to his employees and they loose sales like mad. When I bought my Savage X RTR back in Sept... after I finished paying.... he just walked away from the pay counter and ignored me... no "Thanks and see you again" or "you just bought a lot of stuff... can I help you take it to your car". What kind of service is that? Another time I asked for a few parts and mentioned I would like some info on 40 series tires/wheels.... so I walked in the direction of the wheels/tires on the wall.... he followed me 1/2 way and got distracted and that was it.... 5 min later I just left the store. The amount of times I've been in there since sept... you'd think they'd pay attention that EVERY time I walk into that store... I buy stuff. I'm not just looking at stuff, asking 30 questions and leaving... if they have it... I just buy it. Makes me want to put some $$ together and open my own hobby shop!

Only reason I still go there is that the next nearest store is 1/2 hour plus away. Enough from me... I'll stop now.

I think he has always been like that, I remember when they were located in Surrey before moving to Langley like 6 yrs ago
I asked them for a cheap Radio that I needed for a R/C car project, and they told me to use some 9 channel airplane radio which was like $400+ and just laughed
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm lucky too...When I used to be in the UK, I used to mainly use Mick Charles Models. They're good guys and they mostly know their stuff. When I came to greece, I was shocked how GOOD the hobby shops are. I only use 2, and one of them is a bit elitist, they sell mugen mostly, and are not happy that I am an Xray boi, but they are still helpful. The other (Fanatix Models) is an Xray/HPI dealer and they are absolutely fantastic, one of the guys races internationally and is a veritable RC guru, what he doesn't know about RC can be written on the back of a postage stamp. They own one of the best on-road tracks in europe, they are all really nice and good people, whether I'm dropping $1500 on a new kit, or if I'm just getting zip ties. When I start racing this season, they said I can have keys to the shop and the track. I couldn't believe it when they told me this. Maybe this is the best LHS on the planet...
Old 04-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Chronic

I really hate to talk crap about my LHS because I do like the owner, but I have had similar problems to the ones you guys have experienced. I like to go in there now and buy fuel or consumables just to help keep an LHS owner in business and in turn promote the hobby in my area, but all of my hard parts usually come from the net. Guys like Matt at Killer hobbies, Bruce at SMF, Mark at STSmicroengines.com, etc... have all been much nicer and more helpful to me than the LHS has been, so guys like that get the majority of my business now. I try to take care of the people that try to take care of me.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Kappa77

A new store opened here in Columbus a couple of years ago, and one of the things the owners did was spend time at the local track trying to get a feel for what people wanted. Now, they're the primary store on the north end. Plus, they don't push things at you or try to give you the wrong part. They just ask you what you need. If they don;t know something, they will simply admit it and go digging for the answer.
LOL, that certainly doesn't sound like the Hobbytown on the west side.

the guy just could NOT be bothered looking for Savage parts and almost immediately told me "we don't have it" without even glancing at the parts wall. plus...$30 for a gallon of O'donnell???? YIKES

I need to make up a good map of all the C-bus area hobby shops, cuz it's an hour drive:|
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Jeff_Green

I have been going to HobbyTownUSA for a wile now and I have to agree there prices are a bit high but there service isn't bad I ask the guy for something and gets it for me. They don't stock much HPI and that is why I mostly stick to the net SMF is were I do most of my shopping. The price for 20% fuel is $31.00 a gallon If I was to buy a case from tower it would be $22.00 a gallon.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I really hate to talk crap about my LHS because I do like the owner, but I have had similar problems to the ones you guys have experienced. I like to go in there now and buy fuel or consumables just to help keep an LHS owner in business and in turn promote the hobby in my area, but all of my hard parts usually come from the net. Guys like Matt at Killer hobbies, Bruce at SMF, Mark at STSmicroengines.com, etc... have all been much nicer and more helpful to me than the LHS has been, so guys like that get the majority of my business now. I try to take care of the people that try to take care of me.
Chronic, I cordially invite you to travel to Germany and deliver lectures to hobby shops all over the country.. If you get %10 of them to start acting on this principle, I'll buy you a Savage...

You guys really don't know how hard it is for this concept to sink in here in Germany.. They really do think here that the customers are there to serve the shop, not the other way around..

It's infuriating..
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
-whitey-

ORIGINAL: whitey�

Hobbyville, the hpi guy at udisco might be a bit of a jerk at times but at least they know what they're talking about over there and the service is decent to good. We're lucky to have that lhs considering its the biggest in the country and has everything for everything, or can get it. Last time i went there they told me i could find what i was looking for on the second floor, i didnt even know they had a second floor! Did you know they have a machine shop? So if they dont have and cant get it, maybe they can make it, what more could you want from your lhs?
at udisco they have a machine shop?!! but i found another hobby shop i think is better they have everything and they seem to know the part #'s by heart.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Thorough Hobbyist

I could make a really crude joke about hobby shops in Germany but I'll hold my tongue
Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Jeff_Green

I have been going to HobbyTownUSA for a wile now and I have to agree there prices are a bit high but there service isn't bad I ask the guy for something and gets it for me. They don't stock much HPI and that is why I mostly stick to the net SMF is were I do most of my shopping. The price for 20% fuel is $31.00 a gallon If I was to buy a case from tower it would be $22.00 a gallon.
Don't get me wrong, I've come across several hobbytowns that have good employees and even decent prices. the one in Memphis, TN will knock 20% off your parts order if you pay for it in advance! how awesome is THAT!

that's why I was referring specifically to the one on the west side of Columbus. Sorry for any confusion-I didn't mean to make it sound like I was knocking ALL hobbytowns, or even that particular one, just that one employee
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Thorough Hobbyist

How about if the top RC companies have their own stores like car companies have dealerships? I know they don't want to compete with hobby stores in prices so they sell stuff direct for higher prices. But still if they get past that imagine an official HPI store with direct contact and database with their headquarters and even a room with comfy chairs to discuss which RC is best for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
psiturbo

HobbyTown here in Petaluma are weirdos. You walk in and just stare at you like if you are going to steal something.

I go in and they just jump on me and I know I am ugly but dont have the look of a thief... on the contrary I had many problems when I was around 18 to 21 when "some" people (and I will not specify who they are) thought I was a cop, jejeje.

Anyway coming back to the subject; I hate it and unless its something extremely critical or a liquidation sale deal I dont buy from them.

The one in San Rafael think they know everything and no matter what you tell them they always have the last word. The same deal, as long as it is an emergency or a great deal I dont spend my money.

Then, the one in Santa Rosa you can be waiting in line for 30 minutes and then Mr. CashMoneyFlow walks in and is as everybody else is invicible and immediate attention is offered. I have been there and I am like... WT??? Its messed up and if the other person at least was polite enough to bring up he will wait like everybody else, but he does not. IMO, customer service is terrible in the hobby shops nearby and that why I stick with online auctions and reknown e-hobby stores. I find it, its in stock, I pay and in a few days its in the front door.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Kanza

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Kappa77

LOL, that certainly doesn't sound like the Hobbytown on the west side.

the guy just could NOT be bothered looking for Savage parts and almost immediately told me "we don't have it" without even glancing at the parts wall. plus...$30 for a gallon of O'donnell???? YIKES

I need to make up a good map of all the C-bus area hobby shops, cuz it's an hour drive:|
It's Hurricane Hobbies. They're on the far end of the strip mall at the northeast corner of Polaris Parkway and Old State. They came up here from Florida after the bad weather down there (hence the name). You'll find the regular car, airplane and heli stuff, but they like to sell stuff they know will work, not the piles upon piles of junk at some stores. Only store in town that stocks Baja 5b's. Ron loves them.

Tell them Josh sent you.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:50 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Rock on, thanks for the info dude Now to rob a bank so I can snag a Baja when I go on Sunday
Old 04-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Thorough Hobbyist

I just came home from a visit to the store location of ultimatehobbies.com in Orange, CA and I was very impressed. Their store is large and has a full selection of RC vehicles, radios, etc. They have just about all the tools you could imagine needing from hex drivers to foam tire truers to digital calipers. The sales person I spoke with was great. There was no pressure or bias towards any particular brand or vehicle. I stated that I'm preparing to get an X SS kit and he told me what building it will be like and understood what I was doing in getting all the tools and things I need ahead of time. People get a card for a free tuning when they get a vehicle there incase they need help with their first tuning after the break in.

Not only did I get the tools I needed, I saw for sure the next few things I'll be getting there. They have the Spektrum DX 3.0 transmitter there. They have the X SS kit for the same price of $359 as their website. They have various NiCad glow starters and temperature gauges. They have the Odonnel's temp gauge I read the review about. And of course the X SS kit, parts support, and experts on hand who I did see working on vehicles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.