Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Keep Stripping out diffs....HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep Stripping out diffs....HELP!!!

Hey to all, I have a problem with my 25. I can't seem to keep my front bevel gear that runs to the large diff gear from breaking. I have tried to upgrade it but to no avail. It just keeps breaking teeth and leaving stranded in my own dispair as everyone else keeps going, I have to stop. [:@] Why is it that this keeps happening? Mind you, it has done this while bashing hard, but it has also done this while just running around the yard. Any helpful tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 AM
97talontsi

Default RE: Keep Stripping out diffs....HELP!!!

If you are running the plastic ones, then it will strip because it flexes
get the aluminum cups and new gears and your set
also i heard if you land on throttle, it will strip
Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 AM
sandy with a x

landing with the throttle still running is the main reason, ,

i know ive just changed it twice in 2 bashes, lololol
Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 AM
azzman

How much play do you have in there? Does it need shimming?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

I will check on the aluminum diff cups, and no, I don't land on throttle but thanks for the imput. I figured the diff cups but was uncertain cuz I never had to replace them in my previous Savage's. Thanx to all.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
guitar
My Feedback: (-2)

upgrade to the spider gear kit with two diff pins
Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM
myrcsupply

Ill almost guarantee that you need to replace the diff cup as well, plastic will do, but since the alums are all over the place, they make a much better replacement.

Here is what happens. If you pull your diff out, and take all the gears out, now clean it up from all the diff oil. You see where the 2 shafts slide into the cup. if you look at all of them you will see where the shaft has carved a groove out of the slot on the plastic cup. Normally its only in one of the 4 slots, however iv seen it worse. This is soemthing i always have to look at when doing a rebuild.

I would most certainly check that next. Because you put a new set of 4 bevels in there, and the first time you you put force on it, the shaft moves into the grove and the mesh is now off, and BAM diff is blown.
I see it quite often on savages and anything that uses that same style (to many to list).

Also note that braking puts alot of force on the diffs, they are actualy what is stoping the truck, becuase the disc's are location on the driveshaft, so the drivtrain takes alot of abuse when stopping. Which is yet another reason to go to the alum cups.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:06 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I agree up grade to the alloy cups and I plain on it my shelf but in over 7 gallons of run time I have yet stripped a gear other then when my bearings went out then it was the ring and pinion gears.. Make sure you are not on the throttle or brakes when landing form a jump.