Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

17mm hub conversion????

Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 AM
blowpopracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17mm hub conversion????

I have a savage with tsais cvd's installed. I wanna switch from the original hubs to 17mm hubs so I can share rims and tires with my mbx5t. Anyone have a link to hubs I can do this with and still use my tsais cvd's? I greatly appreciate your help.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 17mm hub conversion????

The HPI ones are too expensive IMO...

I wish I understood hubs better too.. I want some for my LST2 - and maybe for my Sav too... But I don't rally understand what I need.. Do I just a need a 17mm nut like what's on my Sav - could I just put those on the LST2?? Why couldn't you just take the cheapo ones that come with the Savage X or X SS??

Don't know.. Whenever I ask about the LST2 I always get complicated answers - like lists of mixed parts from buggies or whatever I need...
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

get 17mm hex hubs for a 1/8 buggy on the LST2, and if it has a 3mm pin, drill it out. those are the only instructions:P

as far as the X...you can't do the 17mm hub conversion if you have the right AND left handed threads on it. with the Tsais CVD's, if they're all right-hand threads, you can use the cheap 17mm hubs that come w/the X and XSS
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM
poe

Are the stock X hubs 17mm?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Oscardms

yup
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Kanza

The biggest advantage between the standard Savage/Savage X axle design and the traditional 17mm buggy hubs is security. The buggy hubs use an 8mm stub axle with a threaded interior for a set screw that locks the cross pin in place. This keeps the hub on the axle when the wheels are off. Plus, the hub isn't pressed against the cross pin since when the wheel nut is tightened down. It just floasts on the locked pin, which removes a lot of stress from the assembly.

Yes, the HPI 17mm universal upgrade is expensive, but it's worth every penny. If you want to keep a budget, grab the HPI 17mm conversion outdrives that are designed for the stock dogbones.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 AM
blowpopracer

So since I have the savage 25 and I wanna keep my tsais axles the conversion isnt possible?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Kanza

You can convert the existing axles to 17mm. You would just have to use the slap on 17mm hexes from the Savage X. If you don't mind the existing design, and haven;t had any problem with snapped outdrives, go for it.