Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM

Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
savagebasha26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM

HI EVERYONE IVE JUST BOUGHT A SAVAGE X 4.6 RTR IN BLUE PLEASE POST PICS OF YOURS AND ANY MODS INFO AND WE WILL RATE EM
Old 05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
3spdsavage

Default RE: OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM

my bro is getting one shortly. i have the LE....was soo close to getting one for myself...but decided didnt want two savvys. then again....i might get the kit...something fun to do...like building thigns.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not available in the US yet, so you'll be the only poster in this thread for a while.[8D]
Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But still, keep posting.. Especially pics and vids...
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM
savagebasha26

hi cool so for once hpi bring out something in europe before the us hi i will get pics asap and please someone tell me how to post them in a post?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Art91

I can't wait till it comes out in the US, I want to buy a Savage really badly. Hey savagebasha26, look at the bottom of you message box it says click here to upload images. Good luck with your truck.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: savagebasha26

hi cool so for once hpi bring out something in europe before the us
You Europeans seem to be getting all the new HPI truck stuff first lately. You got the 4x4 Wheely King before us and now the Savage X 4.6 RTR. I can't see the European market being larger than that of North America, but anything is possible I suppose.[8D]
Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or maybe we're just guinea-pigs....

JK - pretty sure the original 4.1X RTR was also out here first.. At least it was shown at the Nürnberg model-fair here first...

Europe does have way more people than the US(500+ million vs. 300), but the actual market of people paying money into RC is surely much bigger in the US... Maybe it's just easier to do a smaller product launch here than in the US, what with so many distribution outlets, etc... I.e. it's easier to send 5,000 trucks to one European distribution center than 50,000 to numerous ones in the US... OR, they just want to expand the market here.. Don't know - just babbling..
Old 05-25-2007, 10:07 AM
KILL--ROY

I have one on back-order at tower. They have moved it to mid-june now[] That pisses me off[>:] I hope the motor rocks. The 4.1 was pretty good. I think I am going to run this truck bone stock. When something breaks I will replace it with the stock part. I think I will even run the crappy pipe and , use AA's for the reciver These are great trucks right out of the box. Am I the only one who thinks like this, hop-up's are a wast of money. The only one I would consider is a better clutch, and my-be a vented clutch-bell (of course only after the stock parts wear-out) I dont think the small amount of performance increase of a shiney pipe is worth 40 bucks. What do you guys think?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
savagebasha26

JUST A TEST
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51488.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	691265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47664.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	691266  
Old 05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
mudbasher

i think kill roy is correct why waste money on things that increase your stats by a little bit from going to lets say 40 to 45 in 150 dollars i wouldnt do it i agree with roy.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 PM
HeatFire

im with you roy almost.. the tank sucks... thats all i would want to fix.. if it were fixed from the start i wouldnt have modded my truck..
Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Kokopelli06

Here are the videos from the HPI website:

[link=http://www.hpiracing.com/movies/SavageX4-6RTR_QT7.mov]Savage X 4.6[/link]

[link=http://www.hpi-europe.com/show_video.php?lang=en&videoID=109]Savage X 4.6 Speed Run[/link]
Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Nathan9492

No matter how much i love HPI Products, i really think there running out of ideas for the savage.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Kokopelli06

ORIGINAL: Nathan9492

No matter how much i love HPI Products, i really think there running out of ideas for the savage.

Yeah me too. I think that they are either gonna keep the savage as it is and just put a bigger engine in it, or completely redo the layout and chassis.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:08 PM
xkev

do you have a old savage or a friend you can drag race whit him so somebody can tell us if it's realy faster than the other savage because on the web sit they are saying that so help us body thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 01:43 AM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

ORIGINAL: savagebasha26

hi cool so for once hpi bring out something in europe before the us
You Europeans seem to be getting all the new HPI truck stuff first lately. You got the 4x4 Wheely King before us and now the Savage X 4.6 RTR. I can't see the European market being larger than that of North America, but anything is possible I suppose.[8D]
I would have to slightly disagree on this one. Although I am not 100% sure when the release date was in EU. I do know that it came out here in Japan almost two weeks ago.
Which really dosent make much sence as I would really think the market for it to be bigger in the US or the EU. Japan is pretty small and MOST of the people here are all crammed into the city.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Kanza

From what I've been seeing lately, HPI/HB seems to be using the Japanese and European markets as test beds for the North American market. It even shows on their websites. The HB and NPI Europe sites usually receive more frequent updates. Plus, what news we do get usually comes after it reaches the other regions. I hardly go to the US sites anymore, unless it's to check if the new stuff I see elsewere is finally being listed for U.S release.

As for the upgrade issue, my Savage started out as an SS K4.6, but you would hardly recognize it as one. As new parts and versions are released, I grab the stuff that I like and throw it into the mix. It's gotten to the point that when someone asks what kind of Savage it is, I call it a mutt. That's the reason I enjoy upgrading things. It allows you to pick and choose what you need in order to make the truck fit you. I can guarantee you that there isn't another truck exactly like mine.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: Nathan9492

That's the wrong way to look at it man. HPI is treating us(their customers) very well. No other manufacturer has been so responsive to their customers requests and they are continually making improvements that can be retrofitted to the earlier generations of the platform, therefore supporting the people who have supported them.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:47 AM
black mamba

I think Traxxas has HPI beat on that angle. From product to customer service and everything in-between. Traxxas is #1 in this business, HPI isn't. The Revo and Tmaxx both outsell the Savage. The Revo has been the #1 RC Car Action readers choice for monster truck year after year...prior it was the Tmaxx. Traxxas dominates the monster truck market. Traxxas includes DVDs in their kits and offers unmatched customer service. HPI only includes DVDs in their Euro kits and their customer service isn't all that great-slow to no email response and their phone line is a toll call which is always busy. Traxxas fields a factory team. Traxxas has their name everywhere. Traxxas fields a real monster truck in the Monster Jam series where there's tons of potential new customers just itching to get themselves a nitro RC. HPI doesn't have a factory team and the HPI name isn't everywhere. HPI doesn't field a truck in Monster Jam...sure they sponser The Outlaw and have an association with The Bounty Hunter, but can you see the HPI sponser decal from way up in the stands? There is room for improvement/innovation/marketing/customer service at HPI, and they are making improvements steadily, but the best is yet to come from them.

Now to pick on HPI a little with some gripes I have. Why haven't they redesigned the Savage fuel tank? What took them so long to get rid of the "small" .25 engine? Why haven't they offered a .32 engine in the Savage? Why haven't they made a center differential "trans" yet? Why haven't they made a real wheelie bar? When are they going to put some decently sized tires on the Savage?

I agree that the Savage is due for a major redesign. The basic truck hasn't changed since 2002 and by now they have had enough feedback from their customers to where they should be able to design a clean sheet truck that will still be worthy of carrying on the Savage name. I'd personally like to see a "LST style" chassis and a .32 engine with "LST sized" tires and a center diff-at least optional.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Chronic

Well hell man, if you like Traxxas so much... send me that Savage of yours and I'll ship this Revo out to you. It's just as built as your Savage, and I'll even send the "big" TRX .15 engine along with it.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Kanza

And the flaming begins.

Seriously though. To answer some of your "gripes", the Savage isn't meant to be some mutant truggy/monster/F1 car hybrid. It's a monster truck, so you aren't going to finds things like a center diff or "decent sized" tires on it. I'f you're looking for those things, buy a Revo (or keep yours since it sounds like you already own one). Plus, why would HPI dump a .32 into the truck when the .28s they use already do the job. The larger engine would be nothing more than a bragging point.

The Savage and Revo are two completely different vehicles, made for different uses. Making any comparison between them is pretty pointless. Also, don't ever try to draw a comparison between the Savage and the T-Maxx. The Maxx was a good truck, and helped to kick open the class, but that's about it. Nowadays, you have to dump a pile of cash into one to get it to do what the Savage does out of the box. It would be natural if the combined sales of these two trucks beats the Savage, but a fair comparison would be based upon how each truck does against the Savage.

As for the Monster Jam truck, I honestly could not care less. If Traxxas needs to have a full size monster truck to get their name out there, good for them. Whether or not my toy has a full sized counterpart out roaming the States makes no difference to me.

One more thing, Traxxas doesn't sell kits. You can argue the benefits of RTR models all you want, but I will always go with the company that doesn't force me to take their entry level radio gear in place of a more durable and better performing model. Once Traxxas recognizes this, they will gain a lot more respect from those of us who like to build.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:56 PM
black mamba

I wasn't comparing a Revo to a Savage or a Tmaxx to a Savage. I was comparing companies...HPI to Traxxas and what they have to bring to the table. Keep in mind that if the Tmaxx never came to be, the Savage wouldn't be here right now. Dissing any truck wasn't the intention of my post.

I'm not a Traxxas guy at all. I currently do not own a Traxxas product. I just think they are more involved in the hobby and in turn have a larger share of the market. They must pay their marketing staff very well. HPI is breaking ground with the Wheely King (disguised rock crawler) and sponsoring major rock crawling events. Traxxas doesn't have a crawler, so that area is all HPI for now. HPI just sponsored the Digger's Dungeon monster truck shootout-so it's not like HPI isn't without a marketing pulse. With all that said, I love my Savage and would never get rid of it for a Revo or Tmaxx, but I would get rid of it for a more advanced, evolved Savage if one ever came out. How long can HPI really milk the TVP layout? If HPI wants to take the monster truck segment to the next level, it will have to re-evaluate the current Savage platform.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Kokopelli06

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

I wasn't comparing a Revo to a Savage or a Tmaxx to a Savage. I was comparing companies...HPI to Traxxas and what they have to bring to the table. Keep in mind that if the Tmaxx never came to be, the Savage wouldn't be here right now. Dissing any truck wasn't the intention of my post.

I'm not a Traxxas guy at all. I currently do not own a Traxxas product. I just think they are more involved in the hobby and in turn have a larger share of the market. They must pay their marketing staff very well. HPI is breaking ground with the Wheely King (disguised rock crawler) and sponsoring major rock crawling events. Traxxas doesn't have a crawler, so that area is all HPI for now. HPI just sponsored the Digger's Dungeon monster truck shootout-so it's not like HPI isn't without a marketing pulse. With all that said, I love my Savage and would never get rid of it for a Revo or Tmaxx, but I would get rid of it for a more advanced, evolved Savage if one ever came out. How long can HPI really milk the TVP layout? If HPI wants to take the monster truck segment to the next level, it will have to re-evaluate the current Savage platform.

I completely agree with you 100%. Traxxas has been undefeated in the RCA's in the Nitro Truck Category for every since the first year that category became a choice (2001). The reason behind this is becuase not only do they advertise a ton more than HPI, but that they are a more beginner oriented company. If HPI wants to dominate the monster truck class, they need to re-design the Savage.

Anyway, back to talking about the new X 4.6.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Kanza

You have a fair assessment, but HPI has more than one pan on the stove. Monster trucks for nitro and electric, gas trucks, truggies (the Hellfire and LSP), competition touring cars for both nitro and electric classes, electric rock crawlers, and a 5th scale gas buggy among other things. Also, as I had mentioned, they offer most of their popular vehicles and high end kits, which is something Traxxas has never done (it just isn't part of their philosophy). It is true that Traxxas has created an image of itself as "the monster truck company", but that's a bit too one dimensional for me.

True, the Savage has been around for a bit, but HPI never intended it to be a race truck. They offer a pile of race parts for the line, but the basic layout of the truck screams "monster", and that's what has made it so popular. Does the Savage need to evelve in order to stay competitive? Absolutely. Can the current design be pushed even further? Again, yes. The upgrade products that folks like Chronic, Fastlane, Rock Concepts, and Hardcore have developed are proof. Personally, I can see a factory built mid-tank Savage down the road. It all depends on whether HPI sees the market necessity for it. We pleaded for a kit version of the first truck and they delivered. If we continue to show a demand for this stuff HPI will probably continue to listen to us and push the existing design even further.

Another thing to consider is the amount of factory aftermarket upgrades HPI manufactures for the Savage. Very few companies have developed and released as many aftermarket parts for a single vehicle than what HPI makes for the Savage. That alone tells me that they are more than willing to listen to their customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.