Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Problems starting my new Savage X

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
zud00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems starting my new Savage X

I'm new to the hobby and just bought a Savage X. I cannot get this thing to start.

I followed the manual on how to start...primed it by using the rotostart until fuel reached the carb, put the glow plug ingniter on, and then put the roto start in and started cranking. It will not fire up. I thought maybe I flooded it so I pulled the glow plug out (it was a little wet) and dried it off, cranked the engine with the glow plug out, and then put it back in and tried again. Nothing. I tried a hair dryer to heat it up and still nothing.

The only thing I can think might be the problem is that I didn't charge my glow plug ingniter for the full time. Rather than charging it for 14-16 hours for the first charge I charged it for 12 hours. Could this be the problem? I haven't changed any of the settings on the tuning needles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a busy weekend coming up so more than likely I won't even get another chance at it until next week.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
benzzyo5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problems starting my new Savage X

take out the plug and put the ignitor on it....does it glow up? if not the plug might be bad
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
zud00

I tried what you said and it lit up...the plug is not bad. I took it to an airplane guy here in town and he tried a few things...

We used his igniter that was pluged into a big battery, the coil on the glow plug got a lot brighter than my ingniter did. Anyways, he put a few drops of fuel on top of the piston. it fired up but he gave it some throttle. it ran for about 4 seconds but then it died and it would not stay running. I might take it to the hobby shop next week to see if they can give me a hand. I will make sure my igniter is fully charged in the mean time.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Oscardms

Check the carb. How much is it open at idle? It should be around 1 mm. Try adjusting the idle screw.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:34 PM
zud00

Yeah, you'd think it'd be able to run without any throttle. I'll try to give the idle screw a little turn so like you said it will be at 1 mm. It's currently at whatever factory setting is (flush?).
Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Vigilante212

If all the screws are at factory settings its probably too rich. Lean out the high speed needle a 1/8 turn and try it again.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
stingray0110

I have the same problem. Except mine is 3 years old and was given to me. I new to the whole thing. But ya, starts for 3 seconds then dies. If I lean the HSN(from factroy) it won`t even start at all.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
stingray0110

didnt realize this is an old thread sorry.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 AM
bxclip

ORIGINAL: stingray0110

I have the same problem. Except mine is 3 years old and was given to me. I new to the whole thing. But ya, starts for 3 seconds then dies. If I lean the HSN(from factroy) it won`t even start at all.

i had the same problems.. Lean the LSN a little..

also guys i can seem to get mine to be cool with optimum performace.. its in teh 220-250 range when itts flys with blue smoke.. i have the ofna 086 pipe and when i gun it and stop i can see some smoke coming out the litle seam where hte manifold is attach tot he pipe.. does that mean its to hot? if i richen teh LSN and HSN a little the car dramatically runs slower.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
BudBud

If it is not lean stalling while running or lean cackling when coming off a run, you are fine. Those temps will not hurt a thing. Glen

The Hpi videos are among the best available for tuning tips. They show you too rich and too lean on both needles and how to correct the problem. If your truck is running like the engine in this video, you can toss your temp gun until you break the next engine in. .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_CghxiUk