Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Im guessing this is bad right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Vigilante212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im guessing this is bad right?

I was doing some maintenance and changing clutch shoes when I came accross this. As far as I know compression is still very good ill be running it later today, but im guessing its not supposed to have this score down the side of the piston is it.
As for the sleeve you can barely make out where the score started from, but I cant feel any scratch. Its also strange the score apears to be square so if anything caused it it was a piece of sand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24587.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	705595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70758.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	705596  
Old 06-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Vigilante212

Default RE: Im guessing this is bad right?

Sorry about the blurry pic btw.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno I have many scrathces like that in my old TRX 2.5 and it still works, just with low compression[8D]
Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is very blurry. I unfortunately cant make out a think. Can you try to retake the pics and post them again?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
benzzyo5

thats a beefy scratch....looks like a piece of sand
Old 06-17-2007, 04:58 PM
p8ntball

tooo blury, if the scratch is that straight line.. i would look at other pistons and figure out what it is...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

use the macro button/switch on your camera (has the little flower on it) before you take close-up pics
Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 PM
azzman

...or if no macro, just take the pic from further away...[:-]
Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Vigilante212

Unfortunatly that was a pic using the macro switch. My camera is prob 5 years old which in normal camera terms isnt much but it is for digital cameras. I stuck it all back together and its running so im not going to worry about it for now. I do notice its not running as well as it should though. It has compression, but I think some of the compression escapes down into the boost port.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

What kind of engine does that sleeve go to anyways? From the looks of the port configuration, it has a nice race design configuration (deep rear lateral intake ports). As for its timing, I cant tell j=from pics. I would have to measure it.

Back on subject, try to continue to tun it and see if you feel any noticible performance difference. After looking at your pics more carefully, the scratch on the piston looks bad. I would say that your piston and sleeve are in need of replacement. But run it anyways and at least get some fun out of it; run that sleeve and piston like you stole it and until they are truely worn down to nothingness. Then, rebuild it or get a new engine.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Vigilante212

Thats a piston and sleeve from my LRP z28 spec 3 . I plan on running the piston and sleeve into the ground. I think alot of my tuning woes are from the stupid half tank lean its alot more noticable now with the damaged piston, but its still got compression I just have to run it a bit leaner. Ill probably be ordering a new piston sleeve set in a week or so. I wont replace them until the old one is gone completly though.

Also can someoen give me good tips on putting a new sleeve in so I dont damage it. Getting the old sleeve out and in was a Pain. Getting it out was easier then putting it in. I stuck the sleeve in the freezer for about 10 minutes to shrink it and I applied heat to the case to expand it, but it didnt seem to help.

I was just thinking about how the sand got in there. I remember a couple weeks ago I was tuning my trucks at the track when my pipe came off. and my truck took a header into a jump beacause the sudden loudness startled me a bit. I think this is where the sand came from.