Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What Would You Like To See?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Would You Like To See?

I am more towards durability and function. In line with this, here are some ideas:

I would like to see a center diff for the Savage, you know, like the CEN monster trucks have.

I would like to see helical cut outer diff gears for the Savage, not just in 13T/43T, but a selection to help further the total gear ratio. The helical outer bevels could come with 10T, 11T, 13T, 14T, and 15T pinions, and 40T, 41T, 42T, 43T, 44T, and 45T ring bevels.

As for the internal spider gears, I would like to see a planetary type system also. The tried and true spiders are still good, dont get me wrong, but the planetaries woulld be revolutionary.

I would like to see semi-metallic brake pads for the Savage, and not just a brake set at the rear output shaft of the tranny, but at the front output shaft as well! CEN style! That way, the braking load is borne by two brake sets, not by only one.

As for the X-easy access gear, I would like to see an alum easy access X-tranny gear box, primarily to eliminate as much flexing as possible and keeping all the gears in proper position.

I would also like to see the X-easy access diff housing in an alum version as well.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol guys I think you are overloading Spike Stick with what you have for now[>:]
Old 06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If it would help, I am still trying to adapt Revo semi-metallic brake pads so the could be used on a Savage. I have been busy with too may things at once, such as my write up on how to modify a nitro engine's inductiong timing, rebuilding my dual engine shelf queen Savage to an X dual engine that I actually intend to drive (will mount dual Axial .28 RRs), porting, polishing, and modding some of my K4.6s, and so forth. I guess I too emerse my self into too many things at once.

I wil take measurements and draw up specs including dimensions and so forth for this brake modification; when I eventually post it, feel free to use it and make the same thing; I will not patent it or anything like that. I want to share it for all who can make it to have.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 AM
SpikeX

These are really some great ideas guys. Nearly all of them would be worth it!

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 AM
SpikeX

Just for those who haven't seen the Engine Plate yet, there are pictures on the PXP Racing Website at http://www.pxpracing.com/productsservices.htm

Please keep looking back at that page, as all the latest pictures, videos, and information on the parts will be featured there.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:11 AM
MasterMechainc5
My Feedback: (10)

Id like to see a carbon fiber roll cage that didn't cost so much and had a lot of mounting points to make your savage more durable after all in a real car thats an important part of a roll cage to stiffen up the frame I gota get working on my steel rollcage
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 AM
SpikeX

Well, I'm working on the Carbon Fibre Roll Bar as well speak, and the designing stage is nearly finished. Pics should be up tonight.

Yeah, I was thinking of a Carbon Fibre Roll Cage with 6 or 8 mounting points. They're not very hard to make, and should really help stiffen the chassis up. Price shouldn't be too high either...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
MasterMechainc5

I got a another idea now im thinkin about rollcages and cars and that sorta stuff[8D] How about a carbon fiber tube chassis for the savage like how nascar is built That might be going a little over bored but what do ya think?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
rcnitrohead

With the way the Savage is built (all components sandwiched between TVP's) I dont think thats possible, but you never know.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 AM
SpikeX

I'm not sure if that would work, but I will definately add it to my list and see whether it is possible or not.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
MasterMechainc5

I was actually think maybe replacing the TVPs with the tube chassis and having plates connect to the tranny, shock mounts, ect.[8D] Then have the tube chassis be a kinda integrated roll cage. In other words build the tube chassis and have the savage components mount in it maybe even have the wheelie bar part of it well maybe this idea is gettin to complicated but you never know
Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
SpikeX

Yeah, I can always give it a try. I was thinking of a tube chassis like the Wheely King has but scaled up.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 AM
rcnitrohead

Technically it would save a nice amount of weight I think, but would probably be expensive[:-]
Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 AM
SpikeX

Yeah, I think it would be expensive. It's also much harder to design that a conventional TVP design.

Well, I finished the basic Roll Bar design just now, so I have attached the pics. I may still do some small tweaks to the design, so it is not neccessarily the final version. If you guys have any suggestions, please post them. I will include all the neccessary screws (hex hardware of course) with the Roll Bar to make mounting easy and fast.

The first pic is the back, and the second is the front.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87739.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	714061   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45754.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	714062  
Old 06-30-2007, 02:19 PM
SpikeX

I've come up with a new idea just now.

A winch, mounted onto the front bumper. I could mould a new bumper with a housing in it so the motor and everything is intergrated into the bumper itself. I would make it strong enough so it could actually pull the Savage through rough terrain.

Please tell me what you think of this idea.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:51 PM
rcnitrohead

Well the first idea is for real hobbyists and just for pure realism. It may not be too usefull but looks cool. The second idea sounds sweet but, it has to be as lightweight as possible, if you can do that and maintain or have a lower weight than the Traxxas EZ Start system then that would be trick[8D]
Old 06-30-2007, 03:01 PM
SpikeX

Well, the winch will have a Hi-Torque servo so it will actually be able to pull a Savage, like the real ones do. But yes, it is meant more for realism than function.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Dwaine

if you made a alternator. you would have to run it off the center drive shaft or a tranny gear..

I would really like to see a mid tank that fit just like the radio box. then add a couple mm in the rear of the tvp's for a flat battery and receiver. with just evough room under the tank for the servo and linkage..
Old 06-30-2007, 04:41 PM
black mamba

Here's one for those that might rock crawl a Savage or just want a scale monster truck. Rear steering. It is possible as the front and rear suspension pieces are indentical. All you need is a way to fit a servo and linkage down to the knuckles. I know someone has a kit for the Tmaxx, but I haven't seen one for the Savage.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
MasterMechainc5

They already sell it check it out

http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog...5e80ca60ddce63
Old 06-30-2007, 07:53 PM
black mamba

Thanks for the link. I was unaware of that kit.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: MasterMechainc5

They already sell it check it out

http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog...5e80ca60ddce63
I saw that too a year or so ago. But I was totally unwilling to pay $150 for the kit. Even now, $100 is way too much money. On another forum, someone did a dual steering mod using stock parts and little cutting.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

These are really some great ideas guys. Nearly all of them would be worth it!

Thanks.
Some of the suggestions I made in post #28 are simply ideas and not necessarily easy to bring to fruition.

I just though of another mod that should not be too hard to manufacture: A-arms with optional holes so you could use the stock HPI shocks (or similar length shocks) but also include another set of optional holes so you can mount Losi shocks without having to mount new hardware like you have to do on the stcok arms.

The stock HPI arms forces you to use self-tapping screws to secure the lower end of the shock to the arm. I suggest this optional screw hole arm be set up to use nuts and bolts; that way you dont have to worry about ruining the arms by stripping out the self-tapping holes as you might continually change shocks and/of shock positions.

I do not know how feasible it would be, but if the arms could be made of carbon-fiber, they would be ultra light. If the CF is not strong, maybe putting a tensioning wire inside the center of the trusses of the arm or a prestressed wire inside might help (again, the feasibility of manufacturing and cost effectiveness come into play big time). Additionally, if such a tensioning wire or presstressed wire were able to be placed into the CR trusses of the arm, that wire I belive might have to have a gage equivalent to the diameter of the Savage's throttle/brake linkage wires.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 PM
MasterMechainc5

Thats a good idea i dont know why RPM doesnt make something like that, i have a older savage SS and there aren't extra mounting holes to lower my truck so the only way too do it is to adjust my treaded shocks. I know Integy sell aluminum shock towers with like 15 mounting holes but i cant really justify putting in aluminum shock towers just for more mounting positions
Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 AM
SpikeX

Having A-Arms with the extra holes sounds like a very good idea. That way people don't have to buy the expensive mounting kit and spend time fitting everything on. It would also save weight because you don't have to add all the extra hardware to the arms. ALL the parts I made with come with the neccessary screws, bolts, etc. and I will ONLY use hex hardware.

As for the CF A-Arms themselves, I could also try that. I could make a prototype without the truss wire, and see how it holds up. However, I doubt they will hold up as well as the stock plastic ones, so they would be used mainly for racing, where weight is more of an issue. CF is actually much stronger than most people think. It's stronger than the stock aluminium parts used on the Savage, but the problem lies in its characteristics - it flexes less than plastic. So on a hard impact it might snap, whilst plastic would absorb the shock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.