Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Who would win on curiousity...handling/speed

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Who would win on curiousity...handling/speed

Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 AM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would win on curiousity...handling/speed

Hi,i want to know if a savage x ss that had 3 speed,and a nice engine such as an lrp,of stsd30m, would win against a stock lst2?
Also how would it compare against a revo 3.3?
Is the lst2 or revo 3.3 faster stock?

Ok and also is a savage has LCG EXT TVP'S,a nice steering servo,mist tank mod possibly,how would its handling stack up to an lst2/revo?
Thanks,all my questions are just on curioustity and how the savage stacks up NOT durability wise.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:29 AM
ttoks

Default RE: Who would win on curiousity...handling/speed

with the 3 speed and the 4.6 engine the savage is almost as fast as a revo, and about the same as an LST2 (of course assuming they're all tuned correctly), handling a properly set up savage can handle well against a stock revo, but a well set up revo there is no comparison in handling, same go's with the LST.

as soon as you start throwing after market parts into the mix things get messy so i ain't even gonna bother with it.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:12 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 3-speed, Axial 28 Sav is about the same top-speed wise as the LST2(maybe also in acceleration - not sure - LST2 might have it there too - cuz my Sav is geared 18/47), but in general I'd say you'd have to do a lot to make a Savage handle half as well as an LST2..
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 AM
ashburg

IMO, the LST2 is clunky. The savage can be made to be a good handling truck, all you have to do is lower the stance by putting some shock height limiters on there (aka large zip ties

I have seen the lst2 smoke a revo...yes, the lst2 is fast.

I don't digg revos that much so my vote is Savage #1, LST2 #2, then the Revo 3.3

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Hi,i want to know if a savage x ss that had 3 speed,and a nice engine such as an lrp,of stsd30m, would win against a stock lst2?

Ok and also is a savage has LCG EXT TVP'S,a nice steering servo,mist tank mod possibly,how would its handling stack up to an lst2/revo?
Thanks,all my questions are just on curioustity and how the savage stacks up NOT durability wise.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM
[email protected]

my lst2 is all over my savage in speed and handling. my savge is the 4.1 with a 3spd. I think with better brakes it might be a little better going into a corner, but the LST2 is awsome it is a great truck. so is the savage and to date I can't say one thing bad about the savage. you can do a lst2 shock conversion and I bet that would be awsome on the savage.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 AM
ashburg

ah yes my friend, but a savage with a picco .28 will keep up with the lst for shizzle Just chattin' with ya, not trying to play this is better than that
ORIGINAL: [email protected]

my lst2 is all over my savage in speed and handling. my savge is the 4.1 with a 3spd. I think with better brakes it might be a little better going into a corner, but the LST2 is awsome it is a great truck. so is the savage and to date I can't say one thing bad about the savage. you can do a lst2 shock conversion and I bet that would be awsome on the savage.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:05 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: ashburg

ah yes my friend, but a savage with a picco .28 will keep up with the lst for shizzle Just chattin' with ya, not trying to play this is better than that
ORIGINAL: [email protected]

no doubt! but stock the lst2 is all that and some. when my engine goes in the savage I'll upgrade to something like that too. One more thing I like the lst2 and the savage also my MGT, all are good trucks and won't say anything bad about them.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Savage with a LRP Spec 3 or a STS30 and a 3spd will give a LST2 or a REVO 3.3 a spanking IN A STRAIGHT LINE if it can keep itself off its lid. That will be the challlenge....you can't win races upside down. A LST 2 and Revo will kill it on a track hands down due to superior design and superior handling of those platforms. The LST2 and REVO both have race bred pedigree in their engineering; the Savage does not. This will show in the overall performance of the vehicle. I know some guys will flame away on what I just typed, but the truth hurts sometimes.[8D][>:]
Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

The Savage with a LRP Spec 3 or a STS30 and a 3spd will give a LST2 or a REVO 3.3 a spanking IN A STRAIGHT LINE if it can keep itself off its lid. That will be the challlenge....you can't win races upside down. A LST 2 and Revo will kill it on a track hands down due to superior design and superior handling of those platforms. The LST2 and REVO both have race bred pedigree in their engineering; the Savage does not. This will show in the overall performance of the vehicle. I know some guys will flame away on what I just typed, but the truth hurts sometimes.[8D][>:]
I agree here 100%. Though I am a Savage fan and am totally biased in favor of Savage, I do realize that the Savage is a heavy beast of a vehicle that is meant and designed primarily as a basher and not as a racer.

The LST2 and Revo (2.5 and 3.3) have a superior center of mass (or "CG" ) both on the X-Y and Y-Z planes. What I mean is that the CG of these vehicles are much lower than that of a stock Savage, even an X, and the CGs, from veiwing the vehicles at the top, are located in the middle along the center line (or close to it as much as possible).

Addidtionally, the Revo, for example, does its best to shed weight at the extremities (i.e. make it lighter towards the wheels). I think the LST also might try to do that as well.

These three designed features (CG close to ground, CG as close to the miggld and center line of the truck as possible, reducing weight towards the wheels) all promote better handling. Lowering the CG to the ground makes of less rollovers at a give speed. the CG in the middle of the truck and fucusing the weight as much as possible there reduces something that is called a moment of intertia. This means that the truck does not have to fight against as much of its oevn weight to turn.

These design features alone allow the vehicle to turn on dimes at faster speeds like a nimble jackrabbit zigzagging and juking a hungry wolf.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM
ashburg

no pain here bro., I know the savage isn't a racer, it's a basher for sure.

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Old 07-07-2007, 08:26 PM
rcnitrohead

I just went over to my other Hobby Shop, about 8 miles from where I live, on my bike[X(] Funny how on that trip I managed to pop my front bearing and the frame is starting to die on me[:@] Thats what I get for doing huge jumps 5' only reserved for my Savage lol. Getting to the point, the guy just started getting some Losi stuff and he had the new Baja Bug. Im definitely not a fan of that body but it was my first time seeing an LST in person. Man that thing his huge! Not as big as the CEN Genesis I saw at my other LHS but still pretty damn big. I still wonder how it can handle better since it looks kinda bulky[&:] I guess since the Savage's internals are compressed vertically between two plates it makes the CG higher where the LST has that dual deck setup. It looks pretty neat but I'd never shell out 600 5 piece McNuggets lol[8D]
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM
black mamba

The "LST" based Losi trucks are a true 1/8th scale as is the Associated MGT for the sake of argument. That's what 1/8th scale is supposed to look like. The Savage is not a true 1/8th scale truck....it's really a 1/9th scale.[8D]
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
KillerJato

Stock vs Stock the Revo has both the Lst and Savage whipped in handling and speed, if you go upgrading them then i guess it depends on who is doing it and what they want.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM
SpeedAddict

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I just went over to my other Hobby Shop, about 8 miles from where I live, on my bike[X(] Funny how on that trip I managed to pop my front bearing and the frame is starting to die on me[:@] Thats what I get for doing huge jumps 5' only reserved for my Savage lol. Getting to the point, the guy just started getting some Losi stuff and he had the new Baja Bug. Im definitely not a fan of that body but it was my first time seeing an LST in person. Man that thing his huge! Not as big as the CEN Genesis I saw at my other LHS but still pretty damn big. I still wonder how it can handle better since it looks kinda bulky[&:] I guess since the Savage's internals are compressed vertically between two plates it makes the CG higher where the LST has that dual deck setup. It looks pretty neat but I'd never shell out 600 5 piece McNuggets lol[8D]
Yeah, bikes make you really appreciate cars huh? You never realize how far something is until you bike or run it. I prefer to run since I have to train for Cross-country and Track. It's amazing how people can be so impatient when driving. They should try running where they want to go, that would really make them slow their pace down. Anyways....

Savage is a basher and will outlast the Revo and LST2 on bashing. It also has plenty of torque,too much, it's difficult to accelerate hard and keep the front tires on the ground. HOWEVER, the Monster Truck speed record in RC Car Action was set by a Savage X. 3-speed tranny, LCG chasis, and street tires. I think it did close to 65 m.p.h., but I'm not sure.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 AM
SpeedAddict

O.K. it went 61.9 m.p.h.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:04 AM
black mamba

That Savage you speak of did exist and if I remember right, was campaigned by HPI or at least by a HPI employee. It was built just for the top speed competition, so keep that in mind here.....and I think RC Driver was the mag that covered it. That was well over a year ago, probably closer to two now, so if you missed it, you're out of luck.[8D]
Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Though I'm a total Savage fanatic,( trying to speak objectively here..)I'm just inclined to say the LST2 is the better all-around truck..(especially if you talk stock - which you should IMO..) To the person who said drop the LRP Spec 3 in a Sav, well, you can also drop one in an LST2..(with a FOC conversion too..) Then see what happens.. I only bash, so if it's gonna be for heavy bashing, landing on concrete, thrashing around a skate-park or gravel pit or whatever, I take the Savage cuz it's the toughest truck out there, period.. (plus I also have more backup parts.., which helps..) For me the LST2 is more for ramps in the grass - and IDEALLY for a BMX track or whatever if I can ever find one... I baby it a little - or at least am more cautious(or less uncautious..) than I am with the Sav, cuz I don't want to break it and have to order stuff from god-knows-where... For me(being subjective now..) they're both great trucks, with really high, worth-the-money fun factors, and more or less equal - but for slightly different things and in slightly different ways..(though I tend to doubt all the claims that a Savage could EVER handle as well as an LST2....) Really glad to have both.

Anyway, the reason the Losis all look so bulky is just the wheels. You can also drop some normal size tires and wheels on to lighten things up, and reduce the bulky look.. The Aftershock and Bug thing I think come with the old style LST1 tires and wheels - which would probably be the first thing I would change.. I love the wheels on the LST2 though. They're HUGE, but great for bashing....
Old 07-08-2007, 09:35 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Though I'm a total Savage fanatic,( trying to speak objectively here..)I'm just inclined to say the LST2 is the better all-around truck..(especially if you talk stock - which you should IMO..) To the person who said drop the LRP Spec 3 in a Sav, well, you can also drop one in an LST2..(with a FOC conversion too..) Then see what happens.. I only bash, so if it's gonna be for heavy bashing, landing on concrete, thrashing around a skate-park or gravel pit or whatever, I take the Savage cuz it's the toughest truck out there, period.. (plus I also have more backup parts.., which helps..) For me the LST2 is more for ramps in the grass - and IDEALLY for a BMX track or whatever if I can ever find one... I baby it a little - or at least am more cautious(or less uncautious..) than I am with the Sav, cuz I don't want to break it and have to order stuff from god-knows-where... For me(being subjective now..) they're both great trucks, with really high, worth-the-money fun factors, and more or less equal - but for slightly different things and in slightly different ways..(though I tend to doubt all the claims that a Savage could EVER handle as well as an LST2....) Really glad to have both.

Anyway, the reason the Losis all look so bulky is just the wheels. You can also drop some normal size tires and wheels on to lighten things up, and reduce the bulky look.. The Aftershock and Bug thing I think come with the old style LST1 tires and wheels - which would probably be the first thing I would change.. I love the wheels on the LST2 though. They're HUGE, but great for bashing....

you make some good points here are some more the savage cost $400 the LST2 cost $560 I get better tires, shocks, radio, engine, brakes, rev, high & low gears and steering for $160 more. like I said before stock for stock LST2 is the hole package. I like my savage it's the stronger of the trucks and with the 3spd it's even better. you can do what me and PatrickBW did buy both
Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
black mamba

Regarding the LST2. You get a MUCH better chassis, suspension and transmission for the extra money that the LST2 costs. It's a vastly superior truck and you are going to pay for it, just like you would pay $80,000 for a world beating Z06 Vette that does everything well vs $30,000 for a middle of the road GTO that does one or two things well. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
rcnitrohead

The Savage that did 61mph was covered in a top speed competition covered by Rc Car Action. The Savage had a TNT Modded K4.6, Phaltline street tires, lots of stuff removed to make it lightweight, and some very minor mods...[8D]

Oh and speedaddict trust me I go biking evey weekend/every other weekend to keep in shape and to cruise around. Anyway, last time I was out I went to the beach after going to that hobby shop, was riding pretty fast on the boardwalk and suddenly my rear tire completely loses grip and I almost wipe out[:-] I slow down a second later and what do you know, flat tire I had to walk 120+ city blocks to get to my house, thats about 4.5 miles of walking to do[8D] And I did at least 12-14 miles on the bike before that. Results of trip: Sunburnt arms lol, popped bearings on both wheels[&o], my frame is creaking and squeaking now, busted rear tube, and a very very tired me
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

The Savage that did 61mph was covered in a top speed competition covered by Rc Car Action. The Savage had a TNT Modded K4.6, Phaltline street tires, lots of stuff removed to make it lightweight, and some very minor mods...[8D]

I thought it was RC Driver that covered that?[sm=bananahead.gif]

And "lots of stuff removed to make it lightweight" and a "TNT modded K4.6" would classify as major mods, not minor. Minor mods would be taking a box stock truck and throwing on a tuned pipe and a spur/cb change. I also believe that truck was geared pretty high as well. I no longer have the article, so I can't reference it for details.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
rcnitrohead

I have it in my hands.

"HPI Low CG Chassis, Rock Concepts Shock towers, TNT Modded HPI .28, Blast Wheels/Phaltlines, clear flat radio box, HPI Alum Shocks, HPI Tuned pipe" Thats what the article says and what I can see from the pics[8D]

61.9mph[>:]
Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

What about gearing? Did they say what spur/CB combo they were using?

To help lighten it and also take away from drivetrain frictional power loss, I bet they turned it into a rear wheel drive only by removing the front center dogbone, the front diff, and the left and right front axle dogbones.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
supertib

Add 60% nitro the mix as well, and a specialy built single chamber boat style tuned pipe.........
Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 PM
rcnitrohead

Nah Jim, no mention of the gearing[:@]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.