Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need Help Engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Jatohulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Engine issue

I took the Savage X out and ran a tank though it. Mind you got the Savage up to temp then start to drive it fast over grass field and some little rocks. After I finish the Tank I let the engine cool down and refuel the Savage and try to get it start it. The Truck would not start at all the roto start would turn the engine over and then stop turning, the engine but still kept spinning freely in the back plate where the roto start goes in the engine. I let it rest took out the glow plug and crank over the engine just in case it was flood and place the glow plug back on. Try to start the engine same thing it would turn the engine over like once and stop but still spinning the roto starter then turn the engine twice and spin free in the back plate of the engine..

Any idea what happen did I break something???

Thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
ace007

Default RE: Need Help Engine issue

Probably need to remove the one way bearing and give it a cleaning as the fuel and oil will leave a residue in it especially if its a internal owb like the k4.6. And if that don't work it might just need a new one as they are design to let go under any kind of stress.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: ace007

Probably need to remove the one way bearing and give it a cleaning as the fuel and oil will leave a residue in it especially if its a internal owb like the k4.6. And if that don't work it might just need a new one as they are design to let go under any kind of stress.
I will check that one way bearing thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Jatohulk

Is the one way bearing just for pull start Savage. I look up that part on tower and states HPI One-Way Bearing For Pull Start .21 BB. I do not have a pull start it is a roto start does it matter???
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM
DaveG55

Yes, your truck with the roto start has a OWB and it is likely your problem. Be sure to get the correct one for your engine if you decide to replace it. However, I'd try cleaning it first, that usually fixes the problem - at least for me anyway.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
ace007

It works for both the pull and the roto start heres a part number for ya. Also like DaveG55 mention try cleaning it first as that usually does it but if it only works for ya once or twice then replace it.

HPI-1430
Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: ace007

It works for both the pull and the roto start heres a part number for ya. Also like DaveG55 mention try cleaning it first as that usually does it but if it only works for ya once or twice then replace it.

HPI-1430
Maybe this is a dum question but how does it a dirty does fuel run in there???
Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 PM
ace007

It's more the grease thats inside the roto start when it gets warmed up it gets inside the owb and causes the slipping. Don't know how your x is but the owb are also design to give under stress. So if you tried to start it and if the engine was flooded it let go it don't take much stress for those to go bad. But it's probably more the grease in there that causing you issues.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM
-SomeGuy-

What you can do to have an easier time in the future; drill a small hole in your roto backplate and whenever your bearing slips just shoot a little nitro cleaner in there and it will stop slipping, instead of taking it apart each time this happens.