Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Suggestions on my racer

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:42 PM
blowpopracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on my racer

Ok, I started a project to convert my like new savage 25 to a truck designed for racing. I need some opinions on what I can do for handling/durability improvements that I may have missed.

Savy 25 chassis
-TNT mod'd picco .27/ w. rotostart conversion(need to buy the rotostart yet)
-flm extended lcg tvp's 1 1/2"
-flm engine plate
-flm skid plate
-flm servo mount
-integy msr4's //which i have now learned on here that they suck :-(
-Mid tank mod
-savy x shock tower/bulkheads

Any other suggestions so I can get this project done and start racing. I really am concerned about the stock width of the truck. Do you think it will turn ok with the stock width or should I widen it? Anyone make wider a arms besides flm? Other ways to widen it without using extended hub adapters? Plz help as I cant wait to get this thing on the track.

Oh yes and also do you think the drivetrain will hold up to my TNT modded picco .27? If not upgrade recommendations on that appreciated also.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: Suggestions on my racer

The picco doesnt need a roto conversion, all you need is a roto backplate from an s-25 and add a nut inside to fill up the space that the s-25 owb would take. For handling/shocks get an lst conversion kit and some aftershocks shocks to keep the weight down. I would suggest that you dont get the 1.5 inch ext TVPs as they will reduce your turning radius, stick to stock lenght or get a 6mm up front ext. More than that wont be good on a track. And a set of strong and fast servos would make it pretty much complete.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
p8ntball

put fueltubing in the shock, over the shockshaft... that will lower it...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: p8ntball

put fueltubing in the shock, over the shockshaft... that will lower it...
P8ntball can you post a pic how to do this please????
Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM
bb942

its pretty easy to do,just cut a piece of tubing to the lenght u want and put it on the shock shaft before u slide the shaft through the body...if that makes sense..

heres a previous thread talking about it... and a pic..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...tm.htm#5354338
Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
blowpopracer

Any other opinions???
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 AM
SpikeX

I would definately not go with a 1.5" Extended Chassis for Racing. Like -SomeGuy- said, 6mm Front Extension is the most you want for racing.

You really don't want any Integy stuff. I would stick with the stock shocks or convert to LST2 ones.

As for widening it, I don't think that's really neccessary. You just need a Low CG and you should be fine.

If you want to become a hardcore racer, you might want to get some Carbon Fibre parts (and I'm NOT just saying that because I make them). Carbon Fibre helps lighten everything up, and you still keep nearly all of the strength of aluminium. Because CF is lighter than aluminium, you will have better acceleration and top speed, as well as better handling. It will look much cooler too [8D]. There are loads of different parts on the market, including Engine Plates, TVPs, Shock Towers, Roll Bars, Skid Plates, Arm Brace Sets, and more, from a few different manufacturers.

Other accessories you should definately add are an HPI 3-Speed Transmission, HPI Dual Disc Brakes, some good tyres, a nice pipe, and if you're really serious the HPI Titanium Transmission Shafts.

I think the drivetrain should hold up to the Picco, but you shouldn't take chances when racing. You can get the X SS Differentials, which should solve your problems.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
poe

A set of offset rims like the ofna truggy rims and a wing like the hellfire wing set would help. A midtank conversion mod thing would help balance weight also.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ayy does any one know know where to buy the midtank conversion kit cuz i bought my first one off ebay and i want one for my other savage and i cant find any, any where. plzz help LINKS????
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of have the exact truck your trying to buildlol, we can have twins. Its a Savage 25 turned street racer (now is setup for off roading) it is currently 2WD, I have an STS .30 in it with 702 pipe, DD brakes, Imex Road Dawgs, I have aftershock shocks waiting to go in once a mounting kit gets on ebay, I have Carbon Fiber hinge pins and will soon install my new CF turnbuckles FLM LCG TVP's a nd high torque servos with an R/X pack and a Futaba FASST system and some more....

Now I have some tips:

Dont buy the FLM servo and skid plates, for racing they are unnecessary! The metal plates will only add extra weight and you dont need that Definitely dont go with the Integy shocks, aftershock shocks are supposed to be much better, or you can go with some good towers and a set of big bore truggy shocks....Drivetrain holds up fine, just make sure you have alluminum diff cups.. If you dont have it, consider investing in quality electronics such as HT servos, an R/X pack, and a synthesized radio.. Good luck! Oh and if you want to know where to buy CF tunrbuckles and pins then check out JDCarbon on ebay... Also, fullforce rc makes carbon parts[8D] Tom.

P.S. Dont worry about width, on road my truck has never flipped on its side, only due to the frequent wheelies. It should handle fine once you lower it[8D]