Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X (4.1 rtr) Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Razdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X (4.1 rtr) Issues

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, firsttime poster here. I was hoping some of you good samaritans on here could help me with a few problems I am having.

1) Broke in the engine according to the included instructions (this was about 6 months ago) and had used it until last week. Having a very hard time keeping the engine running after getting it started. I have replaced the fuel lines and checkec to make sure the engine is sealed. What am I missing??

2) Tonight while attempting to tune my savage the Rotostart stopped turning the engine. The roto will still turn but it looks like the engine is frozen or a part in the backplate is stripped? Any insight on this?

I have tried the search function with the rotostart and only came up with stripped gear on the roto unit (which is not the case here).

Once again thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 AM
SpikeX

Default RE: Savage X (4.1 rtr) Issues

For 1), your engine tuning could be off, which would explain why it won't stay running. You should retune it every day (only minor adjustments are neccessary), especially when there are big differences in temperature.

For 1) Sounds like your One-Way Bearing inside the backplate is slipping or is cracked. This is a common problem, and is easy to fix. You have to take off the backplate and just cleaning the OWB, to make sure it doesn't slip again. If it's cracked (even a hairline crack on the side), you'll have to replace it.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Razdawg

Thanks Spike!

Looks like I will check out the one way this evening and see what needs to be done. What do you suggest I clean it with? Anything special?

Tuning an engine seems to be the biggest hurdle to use new-to-nitro folks, I am sure it is a skill that comes with time. Do you suppose it is to rich or lean that is causing the stalling problem?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
SpikeX

Since it's at break in, I think it's running too rich. I would lean the HSN about 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn and the LSN maybe 1/8 of a turn.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Razdawg

Well I got the back plate off, cleaned up the one way bearing, can't see any cracks so I tried to put it all back together. Thing is when I tighten it all down the roto won't spin it. It is like the gears in the back plate won't turn? You do have to tighten it all back solid right???