Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

FUEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
rowdie15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL

So I'm runnig a savage x ss with the k4.6 motor. I had problems with the one way needle bearing in the crank case. The pullstart kept slipping. Thanks to the online help we determined that the traxxas 20% fuel has too much oil in it. So one of two questions I have is:

1. Let's say we go to HPI 30% (a lower oil content) Is there any risk of Detanation? Thus does a guy need to had a head shim?
2. Maybe a silly question: Can a you mix fuel? If you have half a gallon of traxxas 20% left, can you gradually mix it in with HPI 30% to get rid of it or is it better to use it for kill weeds?

One of the problems I'm noticing is that some of the manufactors don't disclose there oil content!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:04 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: FUEL

Both HPI and Traxxas are a high oil content fuel and I sure do not recommend either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only two fuels I will run are O’Donnell RACE BLEND and Byron RACE BLEND out of the 8 or 9 different ones I have tried!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
munro300

Trust me rowdie, the hpi 30% will be fine you dont need shims and it will not detonate with the 4.6.

46u, I know o'donnell or a few others would be way better, but up here in the interior of B.C. its hard to get quality fuel. Basically the LHS cary only traxas or hpi fuel and I have found that out of those two hpi is a million times better than traxas. I have 4 gallons through of 30% on my axial spec 1 .28 and its alright, but there is no way I would ever put a drop of traxas in my truck again. The closest fuel other than these I can get at a hobby shop is a 6 hour drive one way to Vancouver, or order a case from Alberta but it big bucks for shipping because its classed as a dangerous good.

I believe I read somewhere a while back Traxxas fuel is like 18% oil
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
takenotes Bch

I only use O'Donnell 20% Racing, but between the 2 choices you have go with HPI it has the right oil content to fuel ratio to get good performance and not damage your engine, the traxxas crap does not even say on there own site what the % is.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 PM
rowdie15

I hear what you all are saying. But like munro300 said, we are limited in the resources we have. So by the sound of it I will definitely go with the hpi 30. Did anyone consider my other question about mixing fuels. I assume that throwing the traxxas in the garbage would be a good idea!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM
munro300

just use it to clean your air filters, or better yet put a little shot in the lawn mower!