Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Tune up and antenna routing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 PM
ntloser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up and antenna routing

I am going to be running and tunning my savage tomorrow. The first time in a long time. I really suck at tuning so I put on the 125 cc tank (to avoid the 1/2 tank lean), I got my Amex card ready incase i fry the Siro.
But for some of the smaller things, I am not prepared. What plug should I use with the Sirio .30 with 30% fuel? I am in FL at sea level and it is hot in the day. Is the hot bodies 2 piece tuned pipe right for this motor?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFR8

Routing the antenna; what is the best way? I thought I saw someones savage with a tiny antenna. It was only 3 of 4 inches. Will making the antenna that small limit my range? Also, should I cut the extra 1nch of wire from the receiver that hangs out of the top of the antenna?

How to stop glitching? I got 2 new servos and new hump pack and it still glitches when I touch the glow plug igniter to the engine head. I got the x radio boxx and checked all the wiring . No short. I removed the fail safe and still glitch. Could it be the receiver?

tia

Just a few more hours until shes charged and the sun comes up.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 AM
takenotes Bch

Default RE: Tune up and antenna routing

[link=http://www.osengines.com/accys/choosing-glowplugs.html]choosing a glow plug[/link], the antenna you saw was probably from a spektrum or equivalent there short and stubby, just put yours through the antenna tube and put the cap on the extra wire is fine then put through the hole on the body.
ORIGINAL: foxy42
are you still using the AM radio that came with the car? If so, that's where the issue lies...basically, some receivers filter out interference better than others, and sometimes the parts that filter out the interference fail, and for some reason suddenly your receiver is not filtering it out. Have you changed the position or length of the antenna wire from the receiver recently? Like cut off the excess or something? If you cut off more than two or three inches of the antenna, you will have serious range or interference problems. Is it both servos glitching ? Or just one? If it's just one, try swapping them over. Is the same servo glitching ? If so, then it's the servo, if the other servo is now glitching , then again, it's the receiver. You could just change the offending servo or receiver, but the worst thing about RTRs is always the radio, receiver and servos, you should take this opportunity to buy a good radio ( I prefer nomadio or spektrum)
Tuning Engine for Power
your engine should be. You can start to adjust it for maximum performance. The first thing you should check is to make sure that when you pull full throttle the carburetor is fully opening. If you take the air filter off and pull the trigger all the way back it should be fully open. You should always keep the engine within its intended operating temperature. Going above these could and most likely will cause damage. As you lean the engine out, it will run faster and faster till you hit a point where it will overheat. When this has happened it will start to stutter, hesitate, or even stall. The engine will over heat very quickly when the mixture has been set too lean. Check the engine often when leaning it out to make sure its not overheating. When you have the mixture set correctly you will hear the engine running smoothly and have a strong-sounding high pitch when you let it wind out. Running the engine a little "rich" is always a lot better then running it to "lean".
Once again: Lean = less fuel
Rich = more fuel

Tuning the High-Speed Mixture
The high-speed mixture will affect the way engine runs at mid and high R.P.M.s. This is the main needle that you will adjust the most. Once you get you engine running good, this will be the only needle that you should have to mess with. Run the car on a smooth flat surface with enough room to let the model get up to top speed. Keep track of the speed as you slowly (1/8 of a turn at a time) lean the engine. You can lean it as long as you continue to have thick blue smoke coming out of the pipe. If the engine gets up to top speed and looses power most likely you have "leaned" it too much. You want the high-speed mixture to be lean enough to get good power and still keep the engine cool. Use a temperature gun or the "spit" test to check the temperature of your engine. Remember, you want the engine to run around 270' or spit to sit on the head for around 5-7 seconds.

Tuning the Low-Speed Mixture
The low speed mixture affects how the engine will perform at idle and low R.P.M.s. Like the high-end mixture, the "leaner" you run it the more performance you will get out of it. If it is set too "lean" it will stutter and even stall out. To properly set the low-end mixture, do the following procedures: Get the engine up to running operation temperature. Then from a complete stop pull full throttle, if the engine bogs down, you need to "lean" it out a bit. If it speeds up then bogs down, it's too "lean", "richen it up a bit. You want it to accelerate well with out stalling.
I think that should cover everything
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
ntloser

I have a Futaba 3pm FM. Both servos glitch when the igniter touches.. I am thinking receiver issue.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 AM
takenotes Bch

could be, Its always hard to try and diagnose these electrical problems over the computer you might want to go to your LHS tom. before you go bash. Sorry I could not be more help.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 AM
ntloser

No, you were plenty of help. Lots of good tuning info. And the glitch info was helpful.

I try to stay away from the LHS as much as possible. They are ****$. One of the other things I am not good at is the clutch install.

I had a new STS .28 back when they first became popular. I had the LSH install the Werks clutch; (remember that thing)?
I made tons adjustments but it would not engage. I found that the clutch was not secure on the engine spindle and was slipping. I went back to the LHS and got tired of arguing. I had them install the stock clutch with nova 3 piece aluminum pads and 1.1 springs. The LHS put a hole in the top of my new STS .28 piston and gouged the **** out of the bottom of the cooling head.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 AM
(X)

Hey NEVER cut even an inch from the wire..

You could lose a lot of range
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 AM
ntloser

What happens if you do?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 AM
(X)

Well I thought you lost range..
Old 08-03-2007, 04:06 AM
ntloser

I only ask cause I cut it right after posting. Just a couple of hours and the sun will be up and i can try it out. ....
Old 08-03-2007, 04:11 AM
(X)

Ok, Hope it didn't affect it too much [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ntloser

I have a Futaba 3pm FM. Both servos glitch when the igniter touches.. I am thinking receiver issue.
ORIGINAL: ntloser

I only ask cause I cut it right after posting. Just a couple of hours and the sun will be up and i can try it out. ....
Oh dear, now you definitely have a receiver issue. It's ONLY DSM receivers that you can cut the antenna. Oh well, at least FM receivers aren't that expensive, or if you can get an antenna wire and you're competent at soldering...

Its actually quite normal to have 'some' glitching with an FM system when you attach the glow starter, as long as it's not going NUTS all the time the glow starter is attached. I would have said not to worry about this.

By the way, takenotesbch, that first quote is one of my posts! Good to see you've been taking notes.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 AM
(X)

So I WAS right
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM
takenotes Bch

ORIGINAL: foxy42

By the way, takenotesbch, that first quote is one of my posts! Good to see you've been taking notes.
gathering good information from competent hobbiest is half the hobby, one of us might not know everything but you put us all together and we could take over the world[sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-03-2007, 02:56 PM
ntloser

I didn't make it until the sun came out but I just got back from a small bash session.. The engine for the most part is in tune.. Or as in tune as it needs to be. I let it warm up and it was shifting into 2nd at a good place
I think the LSN needs some adjusting but I am thinking why bother, the truck is out of control as it is. Forget about the MC9 plug or anything else.
The new radio box came through. I went through a large puddle 2 or three times that was out of view and didn't have any problems.
I had some more questions... Why is it bad to start the engine when it is hot? Also why doesn't the engine start when it is hot. I ran out of gas and had to wait for it cool down before I could start it.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did you cut off the antenna the other day?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:09 PM
DaveG55

An inch or two will not hurt the distance of your radio, especially with an fm system. The reason why is that the reciever is designed to pick up a range of frequencies and the antenna length is an average not a specific length for a specific frequency. Cutting too much, say 6" or more, can cause you issues though. Even if the antenna does get cut too short it does not mean that you have to trash the reciever. You can go to any hobby shop (or order online) and pick up a replacement antenna wire (less than $2) and solder it to the circut board to replace the damaged one. It's a quick, easy fix.
An engine that's hard to start hot could be nothing more than a poor tune or as serious as a severly worn engine in need of rebuilding. Without more info, like age, useage, total fuel consumption, it would be really hard for anyone to say why yours is hard to start when hot.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 PM
ntloser

I only cut a little over an inch. If cutting that affected the range I didn't notice. I tend to keep the truck withing 100 - 150 feet and it seemed fine.

I now remember why I bought the TT LCG ext TVps.. I wanted more control over the truck. Too bad I sold them without a chance to really use them. I am back to using the carbon fiber nonsense.

Last night I was jones-ing so bad to drive the truck. I was abouit to head out to a parking garage then I though I would tide myself over by starting a new build. Axial rims, tires, trinity foams, a 2.4 futaba receiver / transmitter, Axial .28 gray , FLM LCG TVPs, alu diff cups, and a GPM alu tranny housing. I was really close to buying all that ****... and I look at the truck now and I am glad I didn't because at the end of the day it is all covered in dirt.

So whats the deal on the hot starts? Is it bad? Why is it bad? Why does it have trouble starting when it is hot?

TIA