Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axial .28 or .32

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:34 AM
jwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial .28 or .32

I'm considering getting an Axial .28 to replace my original nitro star 21BB in my savage. I only bash, don't race, want enough power to go fast and pull some wheelies, but don't want anything this is uncontrollable or will just chew up diffs. Is the .28 a big enough engine, or should i spend the extra $$ to get the .32? If there isn't that much difference i'll save myself the $60.

will i regret not getting the .32 if i get the .28?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:32 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Axial .28 or .32

IMO save the 60 bucks and get the 28, and invest 25 in some Mugen alu clutch shoes and springs, and then get an HPI polished pipe if you don't already have it.. It's an absolutely perfect engine for a Savge IMHO. I love mine, and because it's been so easy to break in, start, tune, etc...., I wouldn't change it out even for something with more power. Plenty of power... A Mach 427 is also worth a look. Those two engines are the benchmark engines for Savages for me - the Axial with a bit more down low and less on top, the Mach being a bit more of a screamer. Both awesome, more than adequately powerful engines - both ideal for bashing in Savages.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:52 AM
jwan

Are there any other cheap engines that are as good? the Axial .28 caught my eye cos its only $119 from tower hobbies. How fast can u get with the .28? also what spur/clutch bell combo do i need to run? I'm pretty sure i'll need to at a minimum get the 4-bevel diff gear conversion set since my original savage only came with the 2-bevel diffs... do i need to get alloy diff cases as well?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:53 AM
jwan

forgot to ask... i saw an option to install a turbo head button onto the axial. does that make a difference to performance, or will i simply make myself spend more on getting turbo plugs? what's the trade off between turbo and non-turbo?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:08 AM
HerrSavage

There's more power I hear, but if you're on a budget there are more crucial things to get.. And if you're coming from a .21, the normal 28 will be fun enough for starters.....
Old 08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great engines for bashing and won't disappoint you. The both put out good power and torque numbers.....the .32 puts out a little more of each. It's a hard decision, kinda like picking either a Viper or Z06 Vette-both will put a smile on your face.[8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 12:29 PM
HerrSavage

If it's a $60 price difference though then IMO the 28 is a better call, and invest the rest in a good clutch, pipe, etc...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 PM
rcnitrohead

Buddy, if you still have those old Savage 21 diffs in there, you're going to blow them out with any .26+ engine out there. With a .28 you'll be lucky if you get by with half a gallon but I wouldnt put my money on it. Invest in the X SS diff set. The .32 will chew it up in 5 tanks
Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Wizz Kid

the .28 is great for a bashing motor. awesome torque. the .32 has just a little more hp, but is a heavy fuel drinker.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
jwan

Rcnitrohead, does the Savage X use the alloy diff cups? do i need the alloy cups as well then, or will my stock cups with the upgraded internals be enough? if i get the full alloy diff set, will i still be chewing them up every couple of gallons... getting a big engine sounds expensive... also, what gearing combo should i use? as i said previously, just want something to bash, don't want uncontrollable wheelies, want to keep the thing drivable
Old 08-05-2007, 06:25 PM
rcnitrohead

Well, with the .32, all you will get will be uncontrollable wheelies... The .28 is an excellent choice for you. I think the upgraded gears themselves should last fine for that engine
Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
black mamba

You still get uncontrollable wheelies with the .28 because it puts out so much torque down low. Even with all of the shock spacers pulled out and with 19/47 gears, mine still yanks the wheels up way too much. I've given up on trying to tame it. [8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 06:41 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: jwan

Rcnitrohead, does the Savage X use the alloy diff cups? do i need the alloy cups as well then, or will my stock cups with the upgraded internals be enough? if i get the full alloy diff set, will i still be chewing them up every couple of gallons... getting a big engine sounds expensive... also, what gearing combo should i use? as i said previously, just want something to bash, don't want uncontrollable wheelies, want to keep the thing drivable
I believe the newest X models only come with the alloy diffs....the older ones came with the plastic diffs. HPI did offer a free alloy diff cup upgrade to owners of older X models.....so this might be something to check out if this applies to you.

First things first. Either of the Axials will make your truck wheelie very easily. Knowing that, if you get the .32 or even the .28, start out with at least 17/47 gears......the .32 is a torque monster as is the .28 and wheelies will come without any effort. You'll likely end up putting steeper gearing in it, like a larger CB or smaller spur, but like I said in the post above, it really doesn't help tame the wheelies all that much. As As for the rest of the mods required with a hotter engine, get yourself a HPI X SS aluminum tuned pipe or something similar and a high quality set of aluminum clutch shoes and you'll be set.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
jwan

"HPI did offer a free alloy diff cup upgrade to owners of older X models.....so this might be something to check out if this applies to you." hahaha, unfortunatly i have the original savage 21, the very first one they put it, had it for years, don't know how its lasted so long, i've upgraded the dog bones and drive cups to HD, got 3 the 3-speed, standard 3-shoe clutch (which by the sounds of things i might need to change) and i did have a aluminium tuned pipe, but broke it, so a replacement is in order. with the .28, what's the highest gearing i can get away with then? Does higher gearing mean less stress on the drive train/diffs?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:36 PM
black mamba

Well I guess it wouldn't technically apply to you, BUT some guys here have received the updated diffs from HPI irregardless of which older Savage they have. Supposedly HPI isn't asking questions or asking for proof that you own a X.[8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
black mamba

I've also got the 3spd. With the Axial .28 and a 3spd with "normal" size Savage tires (Dirt Bonz or similarly sized), 19/47 is about as tall as I'd go.....you could try a 20T CB, but that's getting a little steep with a 3spd and it's 10% taller 3rd gear. I'd have no problems running a 20/47 with either Axial and a 2spd though.[8D]

17/47= 2.76

18/47= 2.61

19/47= 2.47

20/47= 2.35

Stock .21 Savage gearing is 14/52 right? That's 3.71. As you can see, stepping up to a hotter engine will require a drastic cut in gearing.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 AM
HerrSavage

Nevermind..
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 AM
jwan

just wondering what would happen if i got the .28 but didn't get aluminium clutch shoes... are the aluminium clutch shoes a necessity?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:20 AM
jwan

oh, just realised something... exhaust header.... can i use the one i got on the 21BB on the Axial .28 or do i need to buy a new header as well?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Frankenstien

I just installed a Axial .28 Spec 1s in my savage 25. Love this engine so far, was pretty easy to break in and has tons of power. Got mine off ebay for $112. I am running steel spur gear and hardened clutch bell. 16/47. Lots of low end power and top ends around 42 mph but the motor keeps getting better the more it gets broken in. The thing is a beast and am very pleased. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: jwan

forgot to ask... i saw an option to install a turbo head button onto the axial. does that make a difference to performance, or will i simply make myself spend more on getting turbo plugs? what's the trade off between turbo and non-turbo?
I've got it on mine and I've used it ever since I put it on. It makes a all around performance difference and it runs cooler. For less than $20, pick one up and form your own opinion. Do a search here under my user name, I've got a thread with a link that will answer the turbo/non turbo questions you are asking.

You can use any Savage big block header. You will need to get a .28 or larger sized header spring though....the .21/.25 spring is too short.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
HerrSavage

I think a good alu clutch is highly adviseable.. It will also improve performance.. Makes wheelies easier for one I think.. Don't really know though - I LOVE the way it runs with'em - I know that much....
Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I think a good alu clutch is highly adviseable.. It will also improve performance.. Makes wheelies easier for one I think.. Don't really know though - I LOVE the way it runs with'em - I know that much....
With the larger engine it will drastically change how the truck drives. I upgraded to aluminum and 1.0mm springs at the same time. I had the carbon shoes and OE springs before. Before it acted normally and would engage at a somewhat variable rate. Meaning light throttle meant light engagement. After upgrading to the aluminum shoes and 1.0mm springs it's more of an on/off affair. Part-throttle means very little forward motion. It engages very suddenly and just wants to flip the truck over backwards.

You're gonna need some decent throttle control skills for it. You'll get it no doubt considering your experience level.

I made the mistake only once...and it wasn't from a stand-still either. I was going down the street about half-speed and grabbed WOT just to see. The truck catapulted off the wheelie bar and landed on the lid where it stayed and slid down the street about 15ft. Was a sight to see for sure...flipped and slid right in front of me. [X(]
Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 AM
jwan

Gravediggerracing, thanks for the heads up on the header spring, i didn't even think about that, time to add that to my shopping cart... i'm assuming the one that comes with the K4.6 should be large enough since they're an identical sized engine. what about that rubber exhaust gasket? What glowplugs should i use for the turbo head btw, the cheapest turbo plugs are actually from O'Donnell. they any good? they don't seem to have a cold one of those tho...

if the aluminium clutch shoes only make the car wheelie easier i might hold off on them since the teflon shoes i got atm are new, its a bit of a waste, not to mention i'm already spending way more money then i should...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

I used the header spring from my S-25 on my Axial .28 and it fit fine. It just stretched a little further than normal is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.