Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Brand new to the scene w/ a Savage 21 on the way off Ebay

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Brand new to the scene w/ a Savage 21 on the way off Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Knightfall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new to the scene w/ a Savage 21 on the way off Ebay

Hello,

I'm new to the scene and obviously new to the forum, so please bare with me.

A friend of mine just bought an Aftershock Nitro R/C and naturally, I wanted my own toy to play with. An older brother has several R/C airplanes as well so the urge to get one was always there. It's just been heightened as of recently.

On good old EBay, my friend found an old Savage 21 for sale and he told me it was a really good deal since it came with many parts and upgrades. I put some blind faith into the matter and went for it. As now, I'm just waiting for it to be shipped over.

Upon research I've come to know that this is quite an old model, yet it's not necessarily a bad thing because parts can be interchanged (and apparently already has been.)

I'll copy and paste the list from the Ebay item.

This is a HPI Savage with a HPI 21 big block. It is gently used, in good, working condition. Runs great, I just don't have time with a new baby.

Included in this auction are:

On the Truck:

Jeep Wrangler body (painted)

K&N air filter

Triple rate springs

3racing cooling head

Reverse module

Dual disc brakes

RC Raven roll cage

In-line fuel filter

With the truck:

HPI 3 channel radio

Extra battery pack

Extra set of tires (wheels are stripped)Check out my other items!Check out my other items!

HPI Savage 21 manual

Rechargeable glow plug heater with charger

Glow plug wrench

Extra parts, including:

Roto start back plate

Approx. 30 body clips

Screw kit

Stock air filter

NIB: 2 axles (8x9x44)

NIB: 2-speed clutch holder
What I am looking for here is advice from you all as to what the first steps should be when receiving a used R/C. Few of the local R/C shops here have told me I should watch the fuel I use. 20% vs. 30%. Another fellow was telling me I should replace some sort of coupling that replaces the stock plastic versions for the front and rear diffs.

Any information you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
sava001006

Default RE: Brand new to the scene w/ a Savage 21 on the way off Ebay

just enjoy the savage and i use 20% nitro fuel...
Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
madmax93

I think the Savage is a great truck. Out of all my trucks the Savage has been the best to tune and the tuffest too. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Vigilante212

post a link to the autction so we can see the pics.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:13 PM
-SomeGuy-

Welcome to the forum.

First things first, change that air filter. The K&N is a real piece of crap and wont do the job, get the hpi dual stage.

You might want to look into the savags xss diffs to replace the ones you have. Keep the ones you have for now and use them till they break. The diffs from the xss will hold up to the strongest engines availlable.

The engine is not a very powerfull one but if it works use it to learn how to tune and how to drive the truck. When you decide you want something with more power i suggest the axial .28 spec1. Its not expensive, easy to breakin and tune, backed by a good company with good customer service and has more than enough power to sastisfy the "backyard basher".

To go with that engine a new pipe would also be good. If you want something that works well but not to expensive then the HPI polished will be a good fit. If you want something with more power but at a higher cost look into the tsais m25 or the JP2. Ths also makes a pipe made for the savage at about the same price and looks good.

The electronics will work for now but if ever you want better steering, something with higher torque and metal gear is what you would need. The hitec 645mg will do the job for the least cost but there are much better ones out there. If and when you do this, move the old steering servo, if its still good, to the throttle/brake position to have more power for those functions.

Alloy clutch shoes wouls also be a good upgrade as it will help to get the power from the engine to the tires faster. If it doesnt have a failsafe then get on asap, not an expensive part that can save you balot of $$ in the future.

Those are the basics for now, if you find some parts that look interesting make sure you check in with some people before you buy it cuz there are some brands you should stay away from and some so called upgrades you should avoid.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:28 PM
megamaxx

i agree with some guy,the k&n is garbage,destroyed one of my favorite engines,motor saver is the only way to go.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

Welcome to the forum.

First things first, change that air filter. The K&N is a real piece of crap and wont do the job, get the hpi dual stage.

You might want to look into the savags xss diffs to replace the ones you have. Keep the ones you have for now and use them till they break. The diffs from the xss will hold up to the strongest engines availlable.

The engine is not a very powerfull one but if it works use it to learn how to tune and how to drive the truck. When you decide you want something with more power i suggest the axial .28 spec1. Its not expensive, easy to breakin and tune, backed by a good company with good customer service and has more than enough power to sastisfy the "backyard basher".

To go with that engine a new pipe would also be good. If you want something that works well but not to expensive then the HPI polished will be a good fit. If you want something with more power but at a higher cost look into the tsais m25 or the JP2. Ths also makes a pipe made for the savage at about the same price and looks good.

The electronics will work for now but if ever you want better steering, something with higher torque and metal gear is what you would need. The hitec 645mg will do the job for the least cost but there are much better ones out there. If and when you do this, move the old steering servo, if its still good, to the throttle/brake position to have more power for those functions.

Alloy clutch shoes wouls also be a good upgrade as it will help to get the power from the engine to the tires faster. If it doesnt have a failsafe then get on asap, not an expensive part that can save you balot of $$ in the future.

Those are the basics for now, if you find some parts that look interesting make sure you check in with some people before you buy it cuz there are some brands you should stay away from and some so called upgrades you should avoid.
Wow. This is the type of response I was looking for. Thank you very much.

As for the link to the Ebay item: [link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120145591045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002]Ebay Item[/link]
Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 PM
nothinbetr2do

very well put someguy
Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice truck. I'm a sucker for the HPI Jeep body. As for the Savage, it's clean and looks like it's in very good shape in those ebay pics. Enjoy it, get used to it and then upgrade it to fit your needs.

Welcome to the world of Savages. It's always nice to have another "granddaddy" model around. [8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Knightfall

My "needs" with this will be for "backyard bashing." I just learned this term recently along with everything else. My wife and I are hoping to get a house soon so I will not be putting a whole lot of money into upgrades at this time. I'd just like to see it run properly and rip around the flood way with my friend's R/C.

Who knows though. I may pick this up as a hobby. I modified my Ford over the years and put more money into that then I care to remember. Maybe this hobby could be a little cheaper.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:35 PM
pjs675

Hi NIGHTFALL nice savage. If you change to the aluminum differential cups get the HPI 87193 4 bevel gear differential conversion set this will help you when you get a bigger engine and for fuel i would use 20% . I use 20% O'Donnell fuel now but will change to sidewinder 20% race fuel. The O'Donnell fuel to me has to much oil %.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Knightfall

Maybe this hobby could be a little cheaper.

LOL. That's what I thought too. I've got well over a grand invested in mine (including the purchase price)...multiply that times 8 and you get the scale equivalent of what it "really" costs.[8D]
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
pjs675

Hi Knightfall i would get new foam air filter for the stock filter and new fuel line and glow plugs thats what i get the fuel is $1.19 to $1.50 a foot and the glow plugs are $6.95 to $8.95 each .
Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: pjs675

Hi Knightfall i would get new foam air filter for the stock filter and new fuel line and glow plugs thats what i get the fuel is $1.19 to $1.50 a foot and the glow plugs are $6.95 to $8.95 each .
Cool. Thanks yet again for the advise.

ORIGINAL : gravediggerracing

LOL. That's what I thought too. I've got well over a grand invested in mine (including the purchase price)...multiply that times 8 and you get the scale equivalent of what it "really" costs.
Ya, I wouldn't doubt that I could match the amount I've put into my car, but I'll do my best to control myself.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 AM
osuwins

Welcome to the Savageland Knightfall,not sure if someone said to check all the screws, make sure there all there and threadlocked if need be, good luck and lets see pic.when you get it
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Knightfall

Good call. It will take me some self control to not just take it out of the box, start it up (lets hope it will!) and go ripping around the field near by. I'll have to tinker around and double check everything. I came across a local shop where the owner owns three savages and seems to know his stuff. He's offered to take a peek at mine when it comes in at no cost.

I will for sure take photos too. Photography is another hobby of mine so having a pics put up on here is a sure-thing.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: osuwins

...lets see pic.when you get it
Ask and you shall receive!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84375.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	743309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81915.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	743310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93257.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	743311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52752.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	743312  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Knightfall

A few here, and others, have told me to ditch the K&N filter. Luckily, the previous owner included the stock air filter, which looked to be rarely used. In the pics, you can see I put the stock filter back on.

Name:	Jh14511.jpg
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	743316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33430.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	743317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45827.jpg
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	743318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73943.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	743319  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
SpikeX

That's a really nice Savage! Looks in very good condition, and has a couple of nice accessories.

Yeah, running the K & N Air Filter is not too good for these nitro engines, as they let the smaller dirt particles through.

The first thing I would do is replace the exhaust pipe with an aluminium one. That should give you a little more power...
Old 08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Knightfall

So far, since I received it yesterday afternoon, I've swapped air filters, removed the roll cage (until I get it running well and drive it harder), and lowered the mounts for the body since the cage is off. It looks much better now.

Also, while everything was charging up, I reset all the screws on the engine back to factory settings. I did this because I didn't know what the previous owner really had it at, plus I wanted the fun and experience of tuning it. My friend who owns an Aftershock helped me get it running after a while. It ended up running very strong and even fish tailing! He said his doesn't do that yet because his isn't broken in yet like mine. I couldn't help but chuckle a little though to see my new toy do so well.

As of now, when it left it (because it was 10pm and I didn't want to keep the neighborhood awake), the problem I'll have to fix is the high idle. When I let off the throttle, it's still screaming loud and slowly crawls along. I'll be getting together with my friend tonight to have another round at it. If we can't figure it out, I'll be making good use of this forum.

Name:	Ec88771.jpg
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	743322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91919.jpg
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	743323