Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axial Beadlocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 PM
ntloser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial Beadlocks

Has anyone had issues with the tires flying off their bead locks? Axial or any other brand. I got these mainly for the looks and figured I would have to glue the tire on to ensure it wouldn't fly off. This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 PM
nantucket

Default RE: Axial Beadlocks

Lol, at least your honest! I was worried about that too when I got my Maximizer X-75 bead locks, but I have yet to have any problems without gluing them. I don't know about the Axial bead locks, but the Maximizer's have a bunch of small "nibs" on them to help hold the tire on and in place.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ntloser

Has anyone had issues with the tires flying off their bead locks? Axial or any other brand. I got these mainly for the looks and figured I would have to glue the tire on to ensure it wouldn't fly off. This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I run the 40 series bead locks and have bashed with them moderately (they are just to pretty for me to dare to crash and damage them). I have pulled wheelies, don mild jumps, and so forth, but I have never hade the tires come off nor the metal locking ring come loose.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Axials came loose the first day, but haven't in 2 or 3 outings since then...

Think I'm gonna sell'em though.. I want something bigger for better backflips....

After one tank:

Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM
savagedan89

i run axial beadlocks and have no problem i have got wot drive on two whells flipped from turning to sharp and have stayed on but the prolines are garbage imo had some and the screws striped easly the ring broke
Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
SOILWORK

I am running Axial beadlocks and Maximizer beadlocks and I never had a problem...Most common problems with the beadlocks are not following the specific pattern when tightening the screws or over tightening the screws so they become stripped and loosen. Always check the screws after a couple of runs to see if any have loosened
Old 08-06-2007, 04:49 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed the pattern from the instructions to a T.

And I consider it a slight minus point that you have to check the screws after every two tanks.....
Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
-SomeGuy-

On the two occasions i used my axial beadlocks they came undone. Im not sure if i should call axial and complain or just glue them and be done with it.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
RCCanuck

my proline mulchers on axial beadlocks have also come out in certains spots.....I also have a stripped screw....thats some hard bashing with my picco max truck though. So now I check em every time I run
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
cooper1

try maximizer
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Vigilante212

My buddy came up with a nifty solution to this since with the plastic you cant really tighten down good he redrilled and tapped all the holes a size up and put helicoils in. Helicoils are metal thread inserts that lock in place. This will prevent stripped plastic holes, but I would recomment a dab of locktite on the screws if you go this route.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole point of running beadlocks is so you DON'T have to glue the tires-for easy installation and removal. So why complicate that functionality with CA? Tighten the screws up in a criss cross pattern and you should be fine. Don't tighten them too tight or else you will just strip the holes out. Tighten the screws a little past snug-that's plenty tight.[8D]
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM
ntloser

The axial 8 spoke and over-sized terra tires were here when I got home.
Compared to the HPI 6 spoke with dirt bonz and trinity trip[le foams, they seem exactly the same size just a little heavier. The beadlock tightening is monotonous. I am not sure if they are keepers.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
ntloser

But damn they look so good...

Did anyone see the episode of "My Gym Partner is a Monkey"? Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny

ERRR edit...

these have to go back. The adapters won't fit on my savage. The center of the adapter is too wide in diameter. I can't push it far enough for the pin to slide in.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

The whole point of running beadlocks is so you DON'T have to glue the tires-for easy installation and removal. So why complicate that functionality with CA? Tighten the screws up in a criss cross pattern and you should be fine. Don't tighten them too tight or else you will just strip the holes out. Tighten the screws a little past snug-that's plenty tight.[8D]
Trust me thats what i did, maybe the picco 28 is just to much for beadlocks or maybe beadlocks and doughnuts dont mix

these have to go back. The adapters won't fit on my savage. The center of the adapter is too wide in diameter. I can't push it far enough for the pin to slide in.
Savage X 17mm hexes fixed that one for me. Something to keep in mind for all you owners of the older model considering these wheels.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 AM
ntloser

SomeGuy,

Do I just need these 2 things for them to bolt on "properly"

This is a set of four Wheel Hub Hexes for the HPI Savage X,

These flanged nuts

Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 AM
-SomeGuy-

You need this:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSCH9&P=7

And this to replace the silver ones:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLE5&P=7
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 AM
ntloser

Someguy,

Thanks !! I am about to order. Can you explain why the 2 black axles are needed? Aren't the silver ones identical just with reverse threads?

Again.. thanks a lot. I really want to get this rebuild started. I was close to dropping a SS X without engine into the cart...and I really don't want to.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 AM
-SomeGuy-

The X has all the axles threaded in the same direction so if you want to use the locknuts for the X you need to change that in your older model. You could just stick to the silver nuts but then you need to use a washer and it doesnt work to well, the nut doesnt go on far enough for the lock part to work so you have to use threadlock which might just let go at any point.

EDIT:save yourself some money and get em off ebay.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:47 AM
ntloser

Thanks again. I sent you a PM about anodizing.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 AM
ntloser

Well.. I had to get something to help the Axial bead-locks fit. SomeGuy, you had the perfect solution and I almost made it out of Towers' site with those items. But somehow I ended up with this.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRSJ7&P=ML
Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 AM
SpikeX

I might get the Axial Beadlocks for my X SS, and I was wondering how much they weight over the stock wheels? Also, are the Axial Terra-Izer tyres any good?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 AM
ntloser

I am not sure. I do not have a scale but they felt heavier than the 5 spoke hpi and dirt bones I currently on my savage.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 AM
SpikeX

How do you think they would they compare to Warlock wheels on Dirt Bonz tyres? Oh, with a set of PXP CF Beadlock Rings too, which should reduce the weight a little.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM
savagedan89

hey nt loser this is a way better solution to your 17mm hexes way better http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZR3&P=7 trust it way better than the ones someguy said but i dont have an x so this what i had to go for 17mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.