Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
savage x 4.6
71.70%
lst2
28.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

lst2 or savage x4.6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
savagebasha26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lst2 or savage x4.6

i have a savage x 4.6 and dont know wheather to sell it amd get an lst2 or keep it i will be doing some racing but a lot of bashing it needs to be able to a beating
Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: lst2 or savage x4.6

The LST2 can take a beating, and really race excellently.. The Savage can really take a beating, and probably not race so well(stock)...

Here's my LST2 being bashed this past weekend... Just discovered though that an upper rear arm is broken - but still, I think it held up well all things considered...(and I anyway would rather buy a couple cheap sets of backup arms from e-bay for a quick fix, than do everything you would need to do to make the Savage handle even nearly as well as an LST2...)

The LST2 is an awesome truck, and I love my Savage X SS....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ST2BashDay.flv

Basically, I think the Sav can take a %15 tougher beating - but the LST2 brings a %20 higher all-around fun factor... - it's FAST...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM
calvino

Get the savage, they are as tough as nails. My neighbor bashes his at the beach and he has yet to break an A arm (just bent a driveshaft and replaced it with a harder one from the box). The LST is more for racing, if you like to race more than bash, get a LST. If you like to bash more than race, keep the savage.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I agree out of the box the LST is a better racer but when you hop up both the Savage is a better racer and still the best basher made.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:46 PM
[]TEX[]

Savage hands down
Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Top-cop-nj

Lst2 by leaps and bounds!!!! that's all that you need to know, now close this thread.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 AM
azzman

Well IMO listen only to anyone who has, or has had them both...
Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 AM
amec

Buy both, thats what i did
I have yet to need to open a diff in my LST2 after 2 years of BASHING. My Sav's diffs have been apart many times, and yes i shim my diffs. I bent the LST2 chassis like a banana, i did the same to my Sav. I broke my LST2 tranny case, I broke my Sav 2nd gear hub.
They are both very good beasties. Even bashing the LST2 handles better. I like them both very much.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it, keep the Savage for bashing and get the LST2 for racing. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.[8D]
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Not another bias opinion, but after two LST's (see my gallery) one race and one bash, I would def. get the Savage. If you wish to race though I did like the LST over all the others, but I still like the savage. And did I mention, of all the MT's I owned there are only Savages left in the stable, the others were....well just MT's. Nothing takes a beating like the Savage's, past or present.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eventually though I think the definition of "bashing" starts to diverge from person to person.. If you just don't like to pay attention to what you're doing and run into stuff and see what breaks, then OK. But, though I admit the Savage is tougher than an LST2, the LST2 DRIVES better..., and if you can hone your driving skills some - i.e. learn how to land at least most of the time - then that means it bashes better too.....

And you said you owned LST's.. If they weren't LST2's, then it's not really comparable.. The LST2 has surprised me how tough it is...

Yes, an upper rear arm broke last weekend. But that's a fast 5 dollar fix... Making the Savage handle HALF as well as an LST2 is not...

But I'm not trying to be anti-Sav - my Sav is the last truck I would sell.. But honesty and objectivity just make me have to give the LST2 the credit it deserves.....
Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 PM
savagebasha26

my definition of bashing is not paying attention (thats my friends definition lol) i watch where im going control the car in the air etc but im gonna keepp the savvy and save fo an lst2
Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Although most don't pay attention when bashing, the occasional mis-haps do occur in which the trucks will take some tumbles, this is in racing and bashing alike. I had TiNi and RPM'd my race LST1 in every effort to strengthen it up only to break in the second heat, center frame rail cracked. The bash LST had the RPM treatment but to no avail, large air wasn't in the mix, I couldn't do most of the big jumps that my savage would do. It was fun to try, just cost me, nickle and dime stuff. I liked the LST's and the LST2's are to have improved on the design and nature of the beast, but I didn't ever give the 2 a try, mine were pretty much upgraded to that standard. The LST was good but I think if I were going to mostly race and bash a little I'd stick to it. If I were going to bash more and just club race a bit I'd go with the Savage. This is just my 2 cents though. Good luck in which ever you choose, I don't think you can honestly make a wrong choice, both shine in different areas, so either way your going to have to deal with something.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
black mamba

I agree with Pat here. Bashing to one person could be something completely different to another person. In my opinion, some of our bashers on this forum are actually abusers and NO truck can withstand that without breaking at some point. Physics will always overrule stupidity.[8D]
Old 08-09-2007, 11:50 PM
amec

True. It does not surprise me sometimes when my truck "breaks". They have been designed but i am not sure they were meant to fly, like i expect mine to at times
Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Starven4

I have a LST2 with the no reverse upgrade. I have a few extras that come along. I have hardly used and never raced the truck. I am trying to sell because I don't have time to invest in keeping up with the truck. If you are interested contact me at [email protected]
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
rcnitrohead

With a few "key" mods, the Savage can be a great racer. Most people never take it to that level, I like few here am trying to build a purpose built race truck suited for on road only. My Savage handles incredibly, with an LCG chassis, super stiff pre load, upgrades brakes radio and servos with an STS .30, the truck is a blast to drive. Its glued to the road, never flips and doesnt push on the turns. I'm buying as many CF parts little by little to make it even lighter and have Aftershock shocks on they way. I say that you convert your Savage to a racer, several people have made some nice rigs here. Azzman has an excellent looking Savage that looks ready to rip, Someguy also has a great truck, although geared a bit more for bashing, and 46u used to race his Savage, Carldav like me has a purpose built road truck and so does Jra. Its not hard, if you spend an extra $250-$400 on the truck depending on your budget with the correct mods then you will have a very agile and quick truck. Good luck[8D]
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I race mine coarse it is not stock and it does quite well. I have beaten quite a few Revos among others. Do to racing my buggy this past year I have not had mine on the track but I am getting it ready for the track again.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:14 AM
smalltownsavage

The LST is a nice car (my buddie has one) but I must say that my Savage has treated me very well. Just finished my 5th gallon of fuel with out a problem. They might be turds around the curves and corners at the track, but at the end of the race you wont be the one makeing the parts list.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 AM
brokentrucks

or keep the savage and install the losi shocks so you get the best of both worlds
Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
-SomeGuy-

Guys this thread is like 10 months old, im sure by now he got his truck lol.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Correction. 2 months
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
-SomeGuy-

[&:] My bad, i must have gotten confused with another thread that was brought up from the grave recently.

EDIT: yeah this one http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5311508/tm.htm