Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

My Savage wont lift up anymore?...Help.. :(

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My Savage wont lift up anymore?...Help.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Weiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Savage wont lift up anymore?...Help.. :(

I had a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground, I actually have a video of doing a 2nd gear catwalk, But now for some reason it wont lift up...
I replaced : Spur, bell, shoes, re-packed diff's, new tires, etc...anything I thought of I tried but I cant help feel that I overlooked something.
If anyone has any ideas on how to make her lift again, it would be great..
thanks..

I attached a few pics of it after a total strip down and cleaning, I went mudding last weekend.. fun stuff..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43114.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	739520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41708.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	739521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76276.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	739522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12546.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	739523  
Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Savage_Crazy

Default RE: My Savage wont lift up anymore?...Help.. :(

might i suggest putting some lightweight parts infront to make it easier? like from carbon fiber? maybe the spur gear or some gear is worn out. tht may cause the acceleration to be crap. try checking the gearbox or something. btw my savage only wheelies once in a while.
but i still think the front is 2 heavy take off the front diff to make it a RWD lol. then u can take the front gearbox and some dogbones off and it'll be lightweight infront
it'll also make it a RWD wich has a faster top speed and it might increase ur chanses of a wheelie. i'm not sure if it works lol. i don't know much yet. haven't tried it. i'm only 13 lol

Over and out: Savage_Crazy
Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Savage_Crazy

btw i see tht u have aluminium upper arms. aluminium isn't as light as the stock material. did the wheelie stop after u put tht part on?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:35 PM
evaderstbasher

Tuning. It will seem in tune, no wheelies, tune it better and it wheelies. wheelies dont always require going leaner either. mess with the tune
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
ntloser

Is it possible the hex on the tires stripped.

I know how frustrating that can be. I had the same problem at one time. It was a combination of the clutch shoes, rear diff and the K 4.6 (.28)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM
ace007

Is your spur gear tight enough? Tighten it all the way and back it off a 1/4 of a turn.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 PM
RLMHPI

I see you have a rear exhaust get rid of that pipe and put a normal one on and i gaurantee you will lift those wheels no problem especially with those purple springs if you really want to lift and get some low end buy the HPI ribbed pipe. The rear exhausts suck for low end,wheelies!! If you want some top end go for the HPI polished pipe even with the polished pipe you will still lift the front wheels as long as the rest of your drivetrain is in good shape and you know how to tune. There are many great pipes out there so pick and choose wisely those are just a few I have experienced on a stock savage. My LE Savage would shift all three gears on the back wheels with the S25 and the polished pipe with the black stiff springs. Now I have an Axial 28RR and can bounce the front end off the ground on a rolling start in second gear. Stiff clutch springs and aluminum shoes and a great tune are key to wheelies just make sure she lands on all fours!!! Giddy Up
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned, tuning and the slipper nut are probably your problems assuming you installed the clutch shoes and springs right and that all the driveshaft set screws are tight.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 PM
RLMHPI

Anybody who really knows Savages knows that the rear mounting pipes instantly cripple all thoughts of wheelie's!!! If it was the slipper or the clutch I think he would have stated the obvious like "the car revs but doesnt move" its the pipe trust me !!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:26 AM
ace007

Well if you knew savages the slipper can be just tight enough to make it move but when sudden torque is applied it will slip if not set rite.lol
Old 08-11-2007, 01:38 AM
splcrazy

isnt it better that its not popping wheelies
Old 08-11-2007, 01:55 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ace007

Well if you knew savages the slipper can be just tight enough to make it move but when sudden torque is applied it will slip if not set rite.lol
Which just happens to be the whole design concept of a slipper clutch...

I'd also say tuning... check your o-rings... my HSN o-ring went bad on my TM323... I replaced it... and INSTANT improvement in power.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: RLMHPI

Anybody who really knows Savages knows that the rear mounting pipes instantly cripple all thoughts of wheelie's!!! If it was the slipper or the clutch I think he would have stated the obvious like "the car revs but doesnt move" its the pipe trust me !!
Not really. The nut can be loose enough to where the truck will not wheelie, but will not do the "rev but not move" either. Trust me and ace007.[8D]
Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Nice Hyper 8 with your Savage really like both my Savage and Hyper 8!

Name:	Ge94938.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	739997  
Old 08-11-2007, 12:34 PM
black mamba

You should've painted your bodies orange!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
RLMHPI

OK you guys are the pros step out of the way boys !!! I cant wait till this weiser person posts back with his results!!! Have any of you guys ran a rear mounting exhaust on your trucks???
Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Nope, but that's because we run our trucks hard. my Savage hasn't seen a stock engine in at least a year and a half. No wheelie troubles with me, LOL. That and as often as my truck lands ass-first, i sure as crap don't wanna spend $70 on a rear-mounted pipe that'll get destroyed first run.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:55 PM
ace007

Also i as far as i know there is no performance gain from a rear exhaust its pretty much to keep the fuel residue off the right side and right rear tire by blowing it out the back.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 PM
RLMHPI

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Nope, but that's because we run our trucks hard. my Savage hasn't seen a stock engine in at least a year and a half. No wheelie troubles with me, LOL. That and as often as my truck lands ass-first, i sure as crap don't wanna spend $70 on a rear-mounted pipe that'll get destroyed first run.
What are you rambling on about "we run our trucks hard" who was talking about a stock engine. I wasnt asking about the rear exhaust cause I was promoting it or I liked it. I too dont run a stock engine and have no wheelie troubles I too dont want to spend 70 dollars on the rear crap!! Man people on here can just go off on their own stick to the topic and read the posts!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Fieroboy

OK you guys are the pros step out of the way boys !!! I cant wait till this weiser person posts back with his results!!! Have any of you guys ran a rear mounting exhaust on your trucks???
I just got a RD Logics rear exhaust for 1 of my Savy's and am very pleased. I use it for onroad only, the truck doesn't wheely so there's no concern ripping it off. As far as performance goes not much diff but it looks good and keeps the truck clean. BTW the sound of this pipe will wake up the neighborhood.

Name:	Ay75905.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	740160  
Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 PM
youie

If you read the post properly mate: He is saying it used to pop wheelies now it doesnt, Hello, Hello!!! So if it was popping wheelies with that exhaust then, how can it be the problem NOW?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM
RLMHPI

Very true you are right it use to pop wheelies maybe its not the pipe totally but I have seen first hand how much those rear exhausts restrict bottom end. My friend has the rear exhaust and the ribbed hpi pipe.With the rear pipe on its crayz loud and cant lift the front wheels at all. Switching to the ribbed pipe you can bounce the wheels up and down off the ground. Maybe there are other problems with this guys Savage its very hard to diagnose a problem 100% through a forum its just my opinion maybe I am wrong. No more comments for me in this thread i am getting beat up..lol... the guy who originally posted the thread is probably pulling wheelies with his savage as we speak laughing at us......lol.... maybe he removed the exhaust.. tightened the slipper.... put the clutch shoes on the right way......tightened his outdrives..... replaced his wheels with the stripped hexes with new ones there are so many different possibilities one thing i know is the rear exhausts are no good for Savages I personally dont like them I GIVE UP!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 PM
nitrodude2

Suprised no one asked if it was the engine?

Check your engines compression...
Also like other said TUNE!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

What are you rambling on about "we run our trucks hard" who was talking about a stock engine. I wasnt asking about the rear exhaust cause I was promoting it or I liked it. I too dont run a stock engine and have no wheelie troubles I too dont want to spend 70 dollars on the rear crap!! Man people on here can just go off on their own stick to the topic and read the posts!!!
I was saying that since most of us run our trucks hard and land arse-first, we don't run the rear-exhaust pipes. a low-end pipe isn't going to kill low end to the point that the stock engine with stock gearing and a clutch that still grabs won't wheelie. a bone stock truck, including the crap stock plastic pipe, will still wheelie. The pipe isn't his problem.

I'd blame it on stock plastic clutch shoes, but then again, if you ask me, stock plastic Savage clutch shoes are the reason that Michael Moore is still alive, and he feasts on HPI using them in every Savage.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Vigilante212

Aluminum clutch shoes would provide a better engagment then plastic leading to better launches. It could be your engine is getting tired and old though as well. Hard to say. Another thing is fuel if your fuel has spent more then a few hours in the sun or outside in humidity chances are its loosing its nitro content.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.