Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Dual Disc brake question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 PM
zud00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Disc brake question...

I have been running my savage X stock and my brake disc wore out and I had absolutely no brakes. So i decided to upgrade to the dual disc brakes. When I was installing them, after I screwed the screws into the transmission, i noticed it didn't turn. I figured once I put everything back together it would work just fine. Finally after getting everything back together, I put the truck on the ground and tried to push it and the brakes were locked up. I tried to adjust the brake linkage and it didn't do anything.

It looked like a tight fight when i put the discs and pads on but I thought it'd be fine.

How do i fix it so the brakes don't lock up like this? What do I need to do to release the tension on the discs?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
ashburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dual Disc brake question...

you loosen the 2 screws holding the brake disk assembly on - it's a bad design, just roll with it
ORIGINAL: zud00

I have been running my savage X stock and my brake disc wore out and I had absolutely no brakes. So i decided to upgrade to the dual disc brakes. When I was installing them, after I screwed the screws into the transmission, i noticed it didn't turn. I figured once I put everything back together it would work just fine. Finally after getting everything back together, I put the truck on the ground and tried to push it and the brakes were locked up. I tried to adjust the brake linkage and it didn't do anything.

It looked like a tight fight when i put the discs and pads on but I thought it'd be fine.

How do i fix it so the brakes don't lock up like this? What do I need to do to release the tension on the discs?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 PM
zud00

If i loosen them, do you suggest any threadlock so they don't come undone?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 PM
ashburg

nope, just loosen them a hair - just enough to let the brakes spin free

ORIGINAL: zud00

If i loosen them, do you suggest any threadlock so they don't come undone?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
RLMHPI

Its like nobody put any thought into stopping the Savage when they designed it!!! Have you guys tried the new Fiberglass dual disk brakes?? I have installed them but not ran my truck yet !!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the new dual fiberglass hpi #87025 kit
there's a suggestion on other forums to put ca glue on the circumfrence/edge. apparently the fiberglass starts to shred apart.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM
itspuddingtime00

The dual discs stop my savage just fine. The only thing is I had to replace the pads once because they were worn down to the metal plates.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
ashburg

the dd fiberglass are THE best I've tried...versus the dd stainless steel, I like the fiberglass way better because they don't bend.

ORIGINAL: RLMHPI

Its like nobody put any thought into stopping the Savage when they designed it!!! Have you guys tried the new Fiberglass dual disk brakes?? I have installed them but not ran my truck yet !!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 PM
RLMHPI

Sounds good I cant wait to try them I will keep my eye out for fraying of the fiberglass .
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Flib

i`ve got 2 mates with the new 4.6 x which has the fiberglass duel disks and they have both shredded theirs and replaced them with the stainless steel ones
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 AM
SpikeX

I have the stainless steel Dual Disc Brake Set on both my Savages, and I've been extremely happy. Braking is incredible (4 flips if I brake too hard), and I've never had to replace the pads in over 6 months. They don't actually fade as much as most people think, too...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 AM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

I have the stainless steel Dual Disc Brake Set on both my Savages, and I've been extremely happy. Braking is incredible (4 flips if I brake too hard), and I've never had to replace the pads in over 6 months. They don't actually fade as much as most people think, too...
Pretty much the same for me.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 AM
ashburg

I've landed so hard that I've bent the DD stainless steel disks, see pic...hence, my preference for the dd fiberglass

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82787.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	743709  
Old 08-17-2007, 06:56 AM
(X)

damn that's nasty,

What happened?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
ashburg

What happens with the dd steel is that if you land on all 4's from like 20' high with the brakes engaged, they bend - especially if they're heated up from use already. They were already bent up as described the day I did this...I had bent them back into place with pliers, which worked for the time being...

What actually happened in that pic to splay them out like that was the clutch bell got rammed into the brake assembly - because I landed on the engine head . I should have just stopped banging on the truck when the brakes were compromised because I had no control of the flight of the truck.

anyway, call it all driver error and (my) stupidity, but I'm liking the fiberglass because they're more foolproof IMO

ORIGINAL: (X)

damn that's nasty,

What happened?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
RLMHPI

HHmmmmm mixed opinions I have the stainless dual disks too I guess if the fiberglass dont hold up I will go back to the stainless!!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM
rcnitrohead

Makes sure that you DO apply threadlock to the DD brake screws, they always vibrate loose after half a gallon of use! I almost lost mine once come to think of it, I'm very satisfied with my DD's and now that I have a high torque throttle servo maybe Ill do some flips But I still want to install 4 wheel braking on my truck sooner or later when I work a bit more[8D]
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
zud00

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Makes sure that you DO apply threadlock to the DD brake screws, they always vibrate loose after half a gallon of use! I almost lost mine once come to think of it, I'm very satisfied with my DD's and now that I have a high torque throttle servo maybe Ill do some flips But I still want to install 4 wheel braking on my truck sooner or later when I work a bit more[8D]
thanks for the reply rcnitrohead. I thought if they were loose then they should have some threadlock. i can't remember...blue or red?
looks like the thread got hijacked about fiberglass dd brakes but i don't care. It was funny. There are pros and cons about stainless steel and fiberglass. everyone should probably know, eh?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
dude54325
Banned

I lave my dd stainless steel. Theyre great brakes. They came stock on my 4.6 rtr and they work like a charm
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
rcnitrohead

Zud, use blue threadlocker, with red your gonna have to rip those screws out next time you remove the brakes Blue should be just fine
Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
zud00

I loosened the screws and put some blue loctite on them. I have to have them just right for the brakes to grab...too tight and they are locked up. to loose and they don't grab. got the brakes working great now. thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:14 PM
rcnitrohead

Happy to help[8D]