Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Need a new engine for the Savage 21 - Opinions

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need a new engine for the Savage 21 - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Knightfall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new engine for the Savage 21 - Opinions

Yes, it's me once again, posting yet another thread.

So as the learning progresses, I've come to find that one of the threads on that keep the cooling head in place is stripped. No matter what I do (even using lock tight), I cannot get it completely sealed. So, I've been having an air leak within the engine. It must have even worsened because after it did run for a while today, it died at half a tank, and the temp was 280 F. The fuel was boiling off at the carb. When I tried to start it up after it cooled down, it sputtered fuel out from beneath the head.

My friend and I are fairly confident that this engine is just toast especially since the thread is stripped and the engine is just old and used. (It's the stock one from the 21.)

What engines do you guys recommend for me that will be a direct swap, and within the range of $80 to $150 Canadian? I hear that Axial (sp?) is a good brand, as well as HPI's.

Your input would be great!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:17 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need a new engine for the Savage 21 - Opinions

Search. This topic pops up just about daily here.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 AM
NitroDemon18

You could look at the Axial .28 spec 1 or a Sport Werks .26. There both cheap and good engines.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep - Axial 28 Spec 1S. Cheap, powerful, plentifully available, robust, easy to break-in and tune, etc..
Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Yes, and with a so many topics coming up, I can't tell which applies to the 21. Most seem to be about the Savage X, etc. I'd like to know which is compatible with my old model.

I understand the repetitiveness but sometimes one just needs a direct answer.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

lrp is cheap and good too.any bigblock engine will fit the savage..
Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 AM
nothinbetr2do

get a surefire 32
Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: gamesbeer1

get a surefire 32
That seems to be at least $250 CDN anywhere I look. It's out of my price range.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I say get the Axial .28ci Spec1S, it's affordable and a seriously significant upgrade to the .21BB. The Spec1S is a great bashing engine, and some even race with it (for me, I would not chosse that engine for racing, only bashing).

DO NOT get a K4.6 or F4.6, these are not worth the additional amount f money you will wind up spending on the. The Axial engine will be cheaper.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
munro300

Hey KNIGHTFALL, have you checked out great hobbies? They have a store in Edmonton and one in PEI I think and they have a decent engine selection. No sure fires or sts's or whatever but I ordered an Axial .28 spec one and a .28rr from them and numerous other parts. They have awesome service and you dont have to pay duty like you would if you ordered it from the states. Check em out if you already havent http://www.greathobbies.com/rccars-trucks/

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...srchvendor=AXL
Old 09-03-2007, 12:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

STS 28 or 30.
http://www.stsmicroengines.com/index...42410e86e83fbe

http://www.stsmicroengines.com/index...=index&cPath=2
Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: munro300

Hey KNIGHTFALL, have you checked out great hobbies? They have a store in Edmonton and one in PEI I think and they have a decent engine selection. No sure fires or sts's or whatever but I ordered an Axial .28 spec one and a .28rr from them and numerous other parts. They have awesome service and you dont have to pay duty like you would if you ordered it from the states. Check em out if you already havent http://www.greathobbies.com/rccars-trucks/

Having a new thread pays off!

Thanks. I see I can get this Axial 28 S1 for $149 CDN. I'm hoping to get the new engine soon (I'm moving soon, have a freelance project coming up, and winter is soon to follow here in the 'Peg.) Hopefully I can get one of the three main hobby stores in town to price match. One can always try.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Knightfall

Yes, and with a so many topics coming up, I can't tell which applies to the 21. Most seem to be about the Savage X, etc. I'd like to know which is compatible with my old model.

What applies to the .21? Any big block engine applies to it because the .21 is a big block-any big block fits in any Savage.[8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: munro300

Having a new thread pays off!

Thanks. I see I can get this Axial 28 S1 for $149 CDN. I'm hoping to get the new engine soon (I'm moving soon, have a freelance project coming up, and winter is soon to follow here in the 'Peg.) Hopefully I can get one of the three main hobby stores in town to price match. One can always try.
If you really want a Axial 28 S1, hit ebay. You can get one for just about $100 USD. I don't know what the Canadian equivalent is, but ebay is the way to go if you want to save a few bucks.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Knightfall

eBay is where I got the truck in the first place. But as I said in my previous post, I'm a little on the anxious side to get the engine. eBay could very well take up to three weeks, in which time, I'm moving and a freelance project will be getting in gear in mid October. I didn't count on my fun time here with this Savage to end so soon. haha

Thanks for clarifying what fits with what. I'll be sure to utilize the search feature a little more.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Ahh! Yes! STS gets my vote also, I have a D28M and D30M and enjoy them for bashing. If you choose STS, when you get it, tear it down, give it a thorough cleaning, and RTV seal it as you reassemble it. Most of all, carfully inspect the carb, particularly the slide and the LSN. The STS big block carbs have been known to let massive air leaks around the LSN area. If you experience this, try teflon tape on the LSN threads.

Otherwise, the STS is a serious powerhouse!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
munro300

I can say that Great Hobbies is going to be cheaper in the end if your getting an axial than e bay. The shipping and the duty you pay will bring the price way up over 149.00$ CDN, check it out.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
rcnitrohead

I say Axial .28, STS .30 but thats only if you want to replace your diffs with the X SS ones[8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
RLMHPI

I would go with the Axial 28 RR!! Your fun doesnt have to end waterproof that Savy and run it through the snow it will be easy to find in the snow with the pink body!!!...lol...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 AM
buda2006

Stop in at Eliminator-rc They have the best prices and The largest stock in Manitoba I have ever seen
And Good to deal with

By the way Support your local hobby store look at the rc complex the people at eliminator set up for winnipeg They GIVE BACK TO THE HOBBY
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 AM
supertib

i am from winnipeg..I have both stock and modded NIB STS 30's that I would sell fairly cheap....
Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: buda2006

Stop in at Eliminator-rc They have the best prices and The largest stock in Manitoba I have ever seen
And Good to deal with

By the way Support your local hobby store look at the rc complex the people at eliminator set up for winnipeg They GIVE BACK TO THE HOBBY
No worries. I called there this afternoon. They have an Axial 32 and a XTM 28 that I'm eyeballing.

Project RC (local) has a HPI 4.1 motor from a Savage X for $120. He claims the 4.1 is double the power of the .21. Is this true? How much more power is the two engine I just mentioned? This question is for anyone reading.

supertib - I think until I gain experience with these things, I will go with brand new so I learn the break in period, tuning, etc. Thanks though.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

The *** big block carbs have been known to let massive air leaks around the LSN area. If you experience this, try teflon tape on the LSN threads.
HUH? That's some poor machining/metal quality if you have to seal the needle treads with Teflon. Just my opinion.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: buda2006

And Good to deal with

No worries. I called there this afternoon. They have an Axial 32 and a XTM 28 that I'm eyeballing.

Project RC (local) has a HPI 4.1 motor from a Savage X for $120. He claims the 4.1 is double the power of the .21. Is this true? How much more power is the two engine I just mentioned? This question is for anyone reading.

supertib - I think until I gain experience with these things, I will go with brand new so I learn the break in period, tuning, etc. Thanks though.
My motors are NIB ( New In Box) ...and i'm also in Winnipeg to be able to help ya
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

The *** big block carbs have been known to let massive air leaks around the LSN area. If you experience this, try teflon tape on the LSN threads.
HUH? That's some poor machining/metal quality if you have to seal the needle treads with Teflon. Just my opinion.
Yes its poor machining...same crap with all Taiwanese made engines..Axials,Hypers, Kingstars, Force, STS, Go-Tech, SH ETC..........If its made in Taiwan its going to have loose manufacturing tolerances, its as simple as that..Sometimes you will get a good one, and sometimes you will get a bad one .. You can't point fingers at any one brand as this is a common issue with all manufactures...... I see just as many Axials with leaky carbs as i do with STS.....

Right now IMHO SH engines likely builds the best overall Taiwanese engines... The LRP Spec 3 and new Sh 28 P8 being the crown jewell of the collection... Pretty much bombproof engines all around, they have their tolerances and production pretty dialed in these days....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.