Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What/Where is the one way bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
xrapidx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What/Where is the one way bearing?

Ok... noob problem, my X 4.1 is overheating... up to 320'F. I'm trying to find an airleak.

There is occasionally oil/fuel below the clutch bell, someone mentioned it coul be the one way bearing. So.. in my wisdom I took the clutch bell off... but then did a search on the net and it looks like the OWB is to do with the rotostart?

So, obviously I need help. If someone could answer these questions, numbered to avoid more confusion.
1.) What and where is the OWB, and a part number would help, also a link to replacing it instructions?
2.) When the clutch bell is one, is it supposed to be able to move back and forth by an about 1/3 inch?

Slightyl Separate Issues:
3.) I'm using 20% fuel, someone suggested changing to 25% to run cooler? Is this correct?
4.) Could the actual fuel I'm using be causing all the problems?
5.) I saw a link on sealing the engine, does ayone have that for me?

Thanks guys.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What/Where is the one way bearing?

So, obviously I need help. If someone could answer these questions, numbered to avoid more confusion.
1.) What and where is the OWB, and a part number would help, also a link to replacing it instructions? Ok, the owb is behind the roto start, it looks like this (this is also the replacement bearing) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLN7&P=7
2.) When the clutch bell is one, is it supposed to be able to move back and forth by an about 1/3 inch? the cb no, unless the spacer in the front is gone then it will move that much.

1. pull the engine out of the truck
2. remove roto backplate
3. the owb will either be on the shaft, or in the roto backplate
4. spray gears and shaft with wd 40m to help get rid of leftover oil res ado.
5. place new bearing on shaft(the silver goes toward the engine)
6. put backplate back on engine
7. reinstall the engine back into the truck
8. You finished, you have just successfully replaced the one way bearing.

Slightyl Separate Issues:
3.) I'm using 20% fuel, someone suggested changing to 25% to run cooler? Is this correct? Wrong, it will make it run hotter.
4.) Could the actual fuel I'm using be causing all the problems? No
5.) I saw a link on sealing the engine, does ayone have that for me? [link=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54465]engine sealing[/link]

Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
l3asher

Some one told you the wrong thing. The OWB is inside the roto start back plate. If you have oil coming out in the front by the CB then maybe you front bearing is leaking.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
DaveG55

1, One way bearing, part of the strating system, allows the roto start to spin the engine to start but then freewheels once the engine does start. If you truck starts reliably then you do not need one.
2. If you have 1/3 of an inch play I don't see how your clutch shoes stay covered. A bit of play is not unusual but 1/32 of in inch is much more like normal.

3. a 5% increase in nitro content will not affect temps. In fact, the whole "increase nitro/lower temps" thing has never been substantiated and most fuel makers say it's not true at all.
4. yes, fuel can cause lots of problems. Too much oil can cause higher temps (not that high though) and owb slippage among other things
5. not handy, do a search. It comes up often enough it should not be hard to find.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

1, One way bearing, part of the strating system, allows the roto start to spin the engine to start but then freewheels once the engine does start. If you truck starts reliably then you do not need one.
2. If you have 1/3 of an inch play I don't see how your clutch shoes stay covered. A bit of play is not unusual but 1/32 of in inch is much more like normal.

3. a 5% increase in nitro content will not affect temps. In fact, the whole "increase nitro/lower temps" thing has never been substantiated and most fuel makers say it's not true at all.
4. yes, fuel can cause lots of problems. Too much oil can cause higher temps (not that high though) and owb slippage among other things
5. not handy, do a search. It comes up often enough it should not be hard to find.
hmm? i was told that the fuel would not cause any damage, to the motor, except temps from the oil.[:-]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

He didn't ask if it would cause damage to the motor, he asked if fuel could be causing his problems. And the answer to that is yes, it could. Or at least be contributing to them. A fuel with a high oil content can cause all kinds of engine related problems from overheating to owb slippage.

hmm? i was told that the fuel would not cause any damage, to the motor, except temps from the oil.[:-]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
xrapidx

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

I think if the fuel is incorrectly mixed it can cause overheating.
---------------

Awhile back the rotostart back plate was completely loose, screws everything gone...

Could the problem with overheating be caused by somethng wrong in the engine itself? Is it worth stripping it?

Thanks for all the responses
Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
xrapidx

Oh...and the truck does start fairly reliably.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
DaveG55

What exactly do you mean by "incorrectly mixed"???
You really cannot incorrectly "mix" the fuel. You could buy a mix of fuel that's not appropriate for the vehicle you're running but it would not be "mixed" incorrectly. As I said before, fuel with too high (or too low) an oil content can cause overheating issues but they are usually not severe and are in no way related to how the fuel was mixed.

If you have not then just replace the roto start screws. Use blue loc-tite to keep it from happening again.

No, not really. There are two main causes of overheating. #1 - poor tuning, #2 - an air leak.
To seal the engine though you will need to dissassemble it and clean the mating halves so the sealant will adhear.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
xrapidx

It was some unlabled fuel which is all I could get at that time, the hobby shop assured me it was 20%, and all that they use, it was a white color, not the usual pink tint I'm used too.

Here are some pics of the back plate, and underneath the engine, let me know if you think I should get another owb.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I have no idea where to look anymore, and I can't find a hobby shop willing to help, guess thats service in South Africa I've checked everything I can think of, including setting the carb to factory defaults

Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 PM
cord arrow

Heck, that's looks pretty good compared to any of mine...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
dude54325
Banned

Nice
Old 09-11-2007, 01:33 AM
xrapidx

So its not leaking?