Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Attn: Savage Racers... got some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 PM
TheOtherSide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Savage Racers... got some questions!

Hey all you Savage Racers... have a few questions please.

I want to start racing my Savage... done a few mods at this time... but keep rolling it over (too high I guess). Current set-up is:
- stock X-RTR suspension
- dual disc brakes with brake spring replaced with fuel hose
- 3 speed transmission
- Axial .28 motor
- 17/49
- shimmed X-SS diffs... with 30,000 wt oil
- Nova RC alum clutch shoes

It boogies pretty good... lots of power but turns pretty bad. Here's what I want to do:
- build new shocks with 30wt oil and 10mm limiters to bring it down
- New wheels & tires... but don't know what to get...
- adjustable upper control arms
- change diff oils to thinner (more thin in front)

Because I just want to get out and race what I have and have fun.... not be a champ or anything... I don't want to start doing big dollar mods.

What are a good set of wheels & tires? I hear that 40 series is too big... then I hear others say they're good. I want to stick and turn corners better... that's about it.

If you're a real racer or have raced... your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Attn: Savage Racers... got some questions!

Well on my drag savage, Ive got LCG TVP's (FLM) which bring the truck down quite a bit. It is extremely stable. I ve got the stock 10WT oil and stock length shocks but with two spacers on each shock making the suspension quite stiff. Also put on 2WD for that extra speed (bad idea for braking takes my Savage 30-40 feet to come to a full stop from WOT with the rear wheels locked[&:]) The best mod that I suggest is going LCG TVP's, you will have a lot of balance, I cant flip my truck over on a turn at all[8D] Ive got dual Towerpro servos on my truck, when combined with my Futaba 3PM FASST in HRS mode it turns on a dime, so precise its insane! Get yourself a set of Towerpro servos, for $20 they are excellent! Especially if you have a digital radio then they are 90% less noisy! Hope this helped, Tom.[8D]

Also, Ive got 10,000WT in my X SS diffs and it runs really well, no real push on power and the rear doesnt break loose[8D] Only when I do full throttle on pavement then both rear tires burn out for a second or two before it catches grip But I like to keep it like that for the fun factor now. I decided that I'm not really going to race anymore since there are other trucks with way more potential on the drag strip. I cant compete against Ofna Dominators going 92MPH or a TM523 powered Revo hitting 73MPH If we had dirt racing, it would be a different story[>:]
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
cord arrow

- build new shocks with 30wt oil and 10mm limiters to bring it down
Limiters won't bring it down...it will only limit the droop. Removing preload and/or softer springs will lower ride height. 30 weight is a good starting point, I run 25 or 27.5 as a rule. Tried 35 last week, completely uncontrollable for my driving style with the stock black springs with no preload spacers...

- New wheels & tires... but don't know what to get...
1/2 offset wheels are a Savy's best friend. This change alone will dramatically improve your turning.

All the servo you can afford for steering...333 oz. is almost enough for this heavy beast with the aforementioned offset wheels...

I run 5k front / 2k rear in the race truck diffs...
Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 PM
TheOtherSide

Thanks for the replies....

I beg to differ on the limiters.... but maybe I'll clear up what I mean. I mean limiting the length the shocks will go by putting in 10mm of fuel line on the inside of the shock on the piston/rod that would not allow the shock to fully extend.

Oh... I also have 4 green springs and 4 red springs.... one per corner and should be much softer than the blacks.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

lower it down then get some dirt bonz or crimefighters for your tires.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 AM
azzman

Yup, go with some LCG chassis plates. 10mm internal shock limiters with no preload spacers, 1/2 inch offset rims with Crimefighter/bowties or Dirt Bonz. You can go 40 series if you want less sidewall flex...a 40 series Bowtie will only be slightly bigger (width and height) than a standard Bowtie...and then skinnier again is the Bowtie/Crimefighter MTR designed for truggies.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
TheOtherSide

Cool....

Can anyone give me pro's & con's to the 40 series? So far I have sidewall flex...
Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Vigilante212

It really depends on what kind of track your racing on.

First I would add half inch or 12mm limiters(I like them)
Drop the 3 speed if its a tight technical track
Proline makes some good tires Get molded foams and crime fighters or bowties they are pretty good universally.
GRP makes some good ones too truggy tires will work as well.
Get the new dual fibre disk breaks if those arent the ones you have.
I run the spring setup like 46u one red one green spring per corner, but my shock oil is too thin my truck bounces on landing. im going to try 35-37.5 wieght from 25 wieght.

As for rolling it over I havent touched my ride height other then the mods above and I rarely roll over on a corner anymore. When you get to within 10 feet of a corner let off the gas or tap the brake if you must then start turning and blip the throttle until your halfway around and get back on the throttle. Practice this and you shouldnt roll over very often.

[link=http://Bowtie without sidewall]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGJ0&P=7[/link]

Or these with less flex

[link=http://Bowtie with sidewall]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXABV5&P=V[/link]

or these with internal ribbing i think

[link=http://MTR]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPCG8&P=7[/link]
Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 PM
dude54325
Banned

Also, because the engine is the heaviest componnent of your truck, lowering it will greatly inprove your handling. I use the FIN low cg engine mount. It works wonders. I also use the 1.2 inch ofset and the hpi low cg tvp's are great!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
electricnitro

I have 40 series and like them alot. I run 30 weight front and rear with no preload spacers and roll overs are non existant. Unless you really try hard.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 AM
TheOtherSide

I have another question for you...

Might be a no-brainer... but I just picked up a Savage 25-SS (the first Savage SS)... and thinking of making this my basher... and using the X-RTR (which doesn't have much RTR left in it) for my racer/track truck. If I take all the best of all the parts for my racer truck and put all the poopy parts on the other one for bashing... I should be in good shape. But tell me... why does the Savage 25-SS look meaner??

Anyone give me any reasons why the 25-SS should be used as the racer? I'm thinking the X has better diff housings, battery box etc...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 AM
TheOtherSide

Another question..... who uses reverse on their race savage? I have reverse now and wondering if I should add the extra weight.

[8D]
Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Rudedog74

ORIGINAL: TheOtherSide

Another question..... who uses reverse on their race savage? I have reverse now and wondering if I should add the extra weight.

[8D]
I don't race my Savage X RTR just yet but I can tell you from all that I have heard from hanging around the LHS and from friends pull the reverse
you don't want the extra weight on the truck. I had thought about putting that into mine for bashing put since I do want to race eventually
I'm not going to bother. So bottom line take the reverse out save on the weight IMO

~R
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Vigilante212

Yea nobody uses reverse in racing unless your running electric. thats what corner marshells are for
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
cord arrow

I beg to differ on the limiters.... but maybe I'll clear up what I mean. I mean limiting the length the shocks will go by putting in 10mm of fuel line on the inside of the shock on the piston/rod that would not allow the shock to fully extend.
OK...differ all you care to...but...install your limiters, set your truck down, see if it doesn't collapse the the suspension more than 10mm....

Now, if you go crazy and go 30mm or so, yeah, you'll "pull" the truck down...you'll have more limiter than the static weight of the truck can overcome. Basically a "bound" situation I'd try to avoid.

Best advice...race buggy or truggy for awhile...you'll really come to understand what it takes to get a Savy in racing form. Your options are really limited with this truck, you'll need to be in top form to run with Revos with a center diff...why on earth they let these guys run in the MT class I'll never know...but I'll continue to pound away at them...I'm holdin' my own.