Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Savage got a new Escalade body and powerplant.

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage got a new Escalade body and powerplant.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage got a new Escalade body and powerplant.

The hobby store I went to only had 1 Savvy sized body and I was acting impulsive so I bought it. HPI bodies are hands down the most detailed bodies out. I am just not sure why they made their Escalade to fit 200mm touring cars AND a Savage? Doesn't look to good the way the fenders are cut up. Ah well, I am going to beat the tar out of it anyways. I did paint it a pearl.

Got the Sportwerks Mach 26v2 in there. Thing is on it's 3rd break in tank and it will pull a wheelie running full factory rich with light throttle. I have to admit, I pulled the engine apart and sealed it, and it had aggressive porting, knife edging and some other high end engine features. The thing is a lot different then the original mach 26. That Savage S-25 is just a dog no matter how you cut it. Why the Mach 26v2? Two engines for $190 shipped is why and I like Mach engines.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
dude54325
Banned

Default RE: Savage got a new Escalade body and powerplant.

nice truck
Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

I thought the v2 were going in the giga crusher?

You wanna flow me one of those engines?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are nice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76835.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	764298  
Old 09-16-2007, 09:42 PM
cleek
Banned

dam nice!@
Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Dale Gribble

I just realized the middle window is crooked on that thing. Now I will have to beat that body double time. I am not going to go through my usual shoe goo and lexan reinforcement on the body mounts. Run what ya brung here until the body is in 3 pieces.

I have been lazy when it comes to bodies lately. Sometimes I care, sometimes I just need something to protect the truck's innards.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Dale Gribble

Oh and BTW, you can get a Losi/Sportwerks shaft starter setup to work on a Savvy with LCG TVPs, but it ain't pretty. The only way I could get it to work was to keep the starter shaft in the back of the motor while I was tightening down the engine mount. You need the longest shaft you can find and it is still a squeeze going through the rear bumper.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
SpikeX

Pics don't seem to work now? :S
Old 09-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Dale Gribble

I see them... hmmm..
Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Savagekilla

Looks really nice!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Knightfall

The Perl is awesome. I like the white wheels to go with the paint too. Do those wheels widen the stance? I'm noticing the lug is deep within the centre of the wheel there. I can see that helping for steering on the road, but is that a weak point if you were to be bashing?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
NitroDemon18

Nice truck and body. What wheels and tires are those?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: Knightfall

The Perl is awesome. I like the white wheels to go with the paint too. Do those wheels widen the stance? I'm noticing the lug is deep within the centre of the wheel there. I can see that helping for steering on the road, but is that a weak point if you were to be bashing?
Wheels definitely widen the stance. They are a standard maxx size wheel, but have a deep offset to get the track width wider. They are DEFINITELY not a weak point for bashing- quite the opposite. If you stay away from 40 series and oversize wheel/tires, you will find that your truck is much more reliable. These wheels/tires are relatively light and are much less stressful on the truck. I used to break stuff ALL of the time with my 40 series dishes/bowties on this Savage. I noticed as SOON as I pulled those off and went to a Maxx size setup that the breakage went down and reliability went way up. I then went to some Maxx sized Nubz and dishes (Savvy in race trim below) and the truck NEVER broke. At the track, I would go lap after lap, while a buddy who ran 40 series was always replacing parts after a hit. Standard setups are cheaper, more reliable and give better performance. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: NitroDemon18

Nice truck and body. What wheels and tires are those?
Wheels are Ofna 17mm standard Maxx size offset dishes, tires are HPI Super Mudders. I saw them on Tower one day and really liked them.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM
NitroDemon18

I might have to pick up a set of those. Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
alvinm

Sweet ride.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Dale Gribble

I am through 6 break in cycles (~24 minutes runtime). I use the heat cycle method straight out of RCCA's Nitro Tuning guide. Basically, get the engine up to 240-250 at a constant throttle going in circles for 4-5 minutes, shutting down, getting the piston at BDC and letting it cool completely. Repeat for 30-40 minutes of total run time. It has produced the most reliable and best running engines for me over any method I have used.

What is amazing to me is that the Mach 26 v2 running pig break in rich is still getting the RPMs up enough to shift the truck to second. I haven't seen that before. Usually you don't see 2nd shifts until you start tuning for power after break-in. This thing has enough power running really rich to still shift.

I always used the pinch fuel line or finger over pipe stinger methods to stop the truck. It always seemed to work, but it was always harder to restart, either due to flooding or fuel starvation. I will only ever stop the engines by the flywheel now. I know it's easier on the conrod and piston, and it is much easier to restart.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Oh and BTW, you can get a Losi/Sportwerks shaft starter setup to work on a Savvy with LCG TVPs, but it ain't pretty. The only way I could get it to work was to keep the starter shaft in the back of the motor while I was tightening down the engine mount. You need the longest shaft you can find and it is still a squeeze going through the rear bumper.

If you are willing to drill and tap 4 new mounting holes in the backplate of the Mach you can mount the HPI roto-start to it. That works just like stock, using all the stock starter stuff and there is no added expense of buying a new backplate. I have done that to my Savage with the original Mach .26 and it's worked out great. Not sure if the LCG TVP's would make a difference though, I would think not.

Is the v2 that much better than the original Mach? Because I've been very impressed with the original. It was a huge improvement over the stock 25. That is truly a poorly designed, weak (physically and power wise) engine.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen those Super Mudders before...................they look pretty good.