Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine Winter Storage help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Winter Storage help

What is the best way to store an engine over the winter? I have a fairly new Axial .32 that i dont want to run during the winter. I am planning on using my old f4.1 instead. Any tips would be well appreciated!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine Winter Storage help

2-3 drops of after run oil where the glow plug goes, and 2-3 in the carb, crank it a few times, and that's it, ready for the winter summer anything.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
nothinbetr2do

run all the fuel out of it, then put in some after run oil. also keep it from freezing as you said winter time
Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

zip-lock bag it as well.

just an extra thought.
anyone thought about those little silica bags that come with tools or other metal parts for taking moisture out?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you run it dry the last run of the season...then load it up good with after run oil...then put it in a zip-loc bag...it'll keep that way as long as you want. (I've got model airplane engines that are 60+ years old and have been stored like that and would be good to go at any time)

Take the plug out and put some oil in through the plug hole and carb...about a teaspoon full...turn the engine over to get the oil worked into the nooks and crannies...the wrist pin is prone to rusting as well as the bearings and crank, so you need enough to slosh around and get under the piston.

When you want to run it again, flush it out well just before you want to run it, with fuel. (take the backplate off to make sure you get the oil rinsed out real good...)

Automatic transmission fluid makes a good after run oil (ARO ) and it's relatively cheap.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:04 PM
smalltownsavage

WD-40 seems to work rather well to help flush out all of the old fuel and moisture. It even helps if you have an engine with an internal 1-way bearing like my 4.6 that doesn't want to catch during start up.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

2-3 drops of after run oil where the glow plug goes, and 2-3 in the carb, crank it a few times, and that's it, ready for the winter summer anything.
X2. That's all I do in addition to draining the tank and fuel lines-but you should be doing that all the time anyways.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
electricnitro

One other thing no one has mentioned is to leave the piston at bottom dead center of the stroke. This will keep the pinch intact.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: smalltownsavage

WD-40 seems to work rather well to help flush out all of the old fuel and moisture. It even helps if you have an engine with an internal 1-way bearing like my 4.6 that doesn't want to catch during start up.

wd-40 is a water repellant/oil. you should use a degreaser on a oneway bearing thats slipping.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: electricnitro

One other thing no one has mentioned is to leave the piston at bottom dead center of the stroke. This will keep the pinch intact.
You should be doing this all the time as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM
electricnitro

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

ORIGINAL: electricnitro

You should be doing this all the time as well.
Thats very true. By doing that will give you WAY more life to your engine. Its just not talked about enough. Especially to the noobies.