Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Racing engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Rexzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Racing engine!!!

ORIGINAL: brokentrucks

ORIGINAL: faisalbasha

STS D28M and couldnt be happier[8D], its fast enough for me and i am running it fairly rich ATM, also the sts 0702 pipe seems the go with these STS 28's and 30's

GO STS
how many tanks did you break in your STS .28?? i got a STS .30 for 121 shipped 2 days ago just waiting for it ..........

how much was your for?
The instructions say 6-8 starts and let it run for 2 minutes each time ( it think they call it the heat cycle method but not 100% cause i may be talking about something else). All up i put it through about 4 tanks on my tuning horse thing (not real horse) with the wheels of the ground, then another 3 or 4 driving it around in circles and stuff. About 2 or 3 litres all up on break-in. Yes this engine takes a while to be broken in fully but you will be rewarded later

You cant get STS 30s in Australia yet i dont think but i got the STS 28 for $240 AU which is $20 AU cheaper then the lrp Z.28 spec 3 from the same place[>:]

Good luck with yours[>:]
The STS30 has been in Aus for nearly 12 months now!!!!

That run in method you used is a bit quick, you should also run the engine in with the truck on the ground, the engine needs to get hot in order to run it in properly, if you dont run it hot (at least 100c) you will greatly reduce the life of the engine, you need to heat cycle an engine for at least 4 litres for good power and life
Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either a Drake engine or RB engine if money is no object. STS for a more budget friendly engine. I'd probably just save up for a Drake or RB though.[8D]
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
faisalbasha

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Either a Drake engine or RB engine if money is no object. STS for a more budget friendly engine. I'd probably just save up for a Drake or RB though.[8D]
what if money IS an object and can spare about $60-70 then what do you suggest?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Rexzilla

HPI polished pipe
Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
faisalbasha

i already have a dual chamber aluminum tuned pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47946.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	781433  
Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

STS D28M and couldnt be happier[8D], its fast enough for me and i am running it fairly rich ATM, also the sts 0702 pipe seems the go with these STS 28's and 30's

GO STS
how many tanks did you break in your STS .28?? i got a STS .30 for 121 shipped 2 days ago just waiting for it ..........

how much was your for?

In reality, do anywhere form 4-8 heat cycles, about 2-4min per cycle, this should be about 2 tanks, maybe a little more. That is sufficient for teh initial break-in. Now, after the heat cycling, drive mordeately with some full trigger blips, lean a little each time, but keep the engine on the rich side until the engine is fully broken in. There is absolutely no need to keep on heat cycling all the way to a gallon mark, although, after the tank is emptied from a run, return the piston to BDC and let cool to semi-continue the heat-cycling (i.e. whole tank heat cycles).

For me, my D30M was fully broken in at the half gallon mark. Others have reported a full gallon, maybe a gallon and a half before being fully broken in.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 AM
brokentrucks

Yea what savagejim said.

rexzilla where can you get the D30M from?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 AM
black mamba

You can't even get a cheap Axial Spec 1 .28 for that. Save up until you have at least $200 and then go shopping for a STS engine and STS pipe. A Drake or RB is going to cost you a lot more. [8D]
Old 10-12-2007, 09:52 AM
supertib

You can't even get a cheap Axial Spec 1 .28 for that. Save up until you have at least $200 and then go shopping for a STS engine and STS pipe. A Drake or RB is going to cost you a lot more. [8D]
the Drake motor is not pullstart....... FYI the Drake 28 is a rebadged Picco P3 28, nothing more....And IMHO RB doesnt have a motor suited for Savage racing.......

for racing you dont need a powerful motor, honestly i'd suggest a Mach 427, you dont need anything more...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
dhyde79

Savage_Crazy....you keep using this phrase "too much power"

isn't it mostly perspective from what you're using the truck for? where I'm building a small backyard obstacle course and will be gearing the truck for some crawling as well as some good midrange speed (40mph is PLENTY for me)

if you're going to be jumping it and such, I'd guess a mid-RPM powerband would be good too, I actually was considering a high RPM banded engine when I upgrade because I don't want my savage doing wheelies all over everywhere but, at the same time, I want the power...(and do NOT want to put a wheelie bar on it)
Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Rexzilla

Yea what savagejim said.

I got mine from RC Mall in Hong Kong, but there are heaps of people in Aus that sell them, [link=http://www.rcgarage.com/]RC Garage[/link], [link=http://mrcmodelcarparts.com.au/front.asp?pid=22]MRC[/link]
Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you are talking about a "Racing Engine" it can mean different things to different people I guess...

I was talking with a well known racer the other day about it and he was telling me that some guys are going back to .21's because the .28's have so much power that it's hard to control the wheel spin, and their fuel mileage sucks (literally ) and that the lap times for the .21 powered Truggys was pretty much the same. (of course a LOT of it depends on driver skill, or lack of it and your chassis set-up )

He also told me that a few guys were even experimenting with .18's for just that reason...because if you can eliminate even just 1 pit stop, that can keep you on the track when others have to stop for fuel.

The guys at CRC Racing here in Rome say "bring it" when asked if a .30 or .32 etc. is "legal" for the Thursday night off road racing... because they know that the fuel consumption and wheel spin you are going to have with a big engine and all that power can actually be a handicap.

For bashing, then anything goes, aye!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 AM
brokentrucks

ORIGINAL: Rexzilla

Yea what savagejim said.

I got mine from RC Mall in Hong Kong, but there are heaps of people in Aus that sell them, [link=http://www.rcgarage.com/]RC Garage[/link], [link=http://mrcmodelcarparts.com.au/front.asp?pid=22]MRC[/link]
Ok thanks Rexzilla[8D], i usually get my stuff from www.*********.com.au
Old 10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: supertib
FYI the Drake 28 is a rebadged Picco P3 28, nothing more.
Close but not quite 100% true. Click the link for more info on the Drake engines. http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/engi...lat122128.html
Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: supertib
FYI the Drake 28 is a rebadged Picco P3 28, nothing more.
Close but not quite 100% true. Click the link for more info on the Drake engines. http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/engi...lat122128.html
Actualy yes the Drake is 100% identical to the p3 28..the only differences are cosmetic..... The "Draked" hand modified versions are actualy very mildly modded on a CNC...But there will be zero performance difference between a Draked 28 and a P3 28 FTT...... I have worked onthe Draked .21's, my buddy Adam from Ab has worked the draked 28's.... both of us have timed and modified these engines and are comparing them side by side to their picco counterparts..... excelent engines, but no different then the jammin motors or the OFNA Picco motors...
Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 PM
megamaxx

^thats a good bit of info to know!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, considering that the Drake engines are advertised to have been modded by Adam Drake himself, I consider that false advertising. The CNC mods are definielt not by the hands of Adam Drake for sure []
Wose, the mild mods do not giv any performance gains (or very very little). The most they wold do is promote fuel efficiency, but not really much in the way of noticible power increase.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, considering that the Drake engines are advertised to have been modded by Adam Drake himself, I consider that false advertising. The CNC mods are definielt not by the hands of Adam Drake for sure []
Wose, the mild mods do not giv any performance gains (or very very little). The most they wold do is promote fuel efficiency, but not really much in the way of noticible power increase.
Hold up here. Are you going to believe someone on the net who *may* or *may not* have any experience at all with any Drake/Trinity engines or are you going to believe Trinity and Adam Drake, two of the most respected names in the industry? Your call, but I know who I will side with. I have full faith that the Drake engines deliver on what they advertise.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Hold up here. Are you going to believe someone on the net who *may* or *may not* have any experience at all with any Drake/Trinity engines or are you going to believe Trinity and Adam Drake, two of the most respected names in the industry? Your call, but I know who I will side with. I have full faith that the Drake engines deliver on what they advertise.

Dude I dont know where you get off sometimes...but i am shooting straight as an arrow here..... I will see if i can post pics of the "Draked" 21 for ya all to see....its definitely not hand done, and its most definitely not worth the $100.00 premium........... Geez the same Adam Drake who stamped his name on a pile of Toki built Drake 30's that were as useless as boobs on a bull......... I dont sell engines for a living, I dont mod engines for a living... I have nothing to gain or lose by telling the truth about these products. i just call it like it is......

Anyways Gravedigger you need to learn to put your money where your mouth is... I own all these motors and have video and picture evidence of all my work in these motors.. I have a blown Draked 21 i will be glad to take pictures of..I also have pics of a jammin JPX 28 as well as pics of a P3 28 and a Picco P7 EVO 2.....I also have the documented timing profiles of all these engines............... Saying i may or may not have used these engines Is very ignorant in the face of all my videos and pictures...to me your looking for any way to discredit me..

Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 AM
megamaxx

^supertib,is one i trust when giving advice/opinions,he has always provided proof in the past of what he is saying,i personally dont have the time to sit down a figure that kind of stuff out so i for one appreciate the fact that him and several others on here take the time to get into the technical end of it and pass the info along......i will stick with the guys that find out what makes the engine tick,after all,any jackass can put his name on a box.....its called an endorsement
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
dhyde79

believing that someone hand works a special series of motors (for whatever gain) is like believing that Michael Jordan makes the nike Air Jordans....

but hey, since the name on the item's obviously what you judge quality by Gravediggerracing, I've got a laptop "Made by Ferrari" and some memory cards "Backed by Ducati" if you wanna buy em, I mean, obviously they're fast, they're from Ferrari and Ducati!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 PM
black mamba

Ok, so Trinity and Drake are both lying? Get real. I HIGHLY DOUBT Trinity, one of the world's most respected RC companies and a major driving force behind RC as we know it, would falsely advertise or misrepresent their products. And do you SERIOUSLY think Adam Drake would put his namesake on something that is not legit? Not likely. I think I have said all that needs to be said about this. [8D]

oh and TIB, this is really nothing directly about you.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: dhyde79

believing that someone hand works a special series of motors (for whatever gain) is like believing that Michael Jordan makes the nike Air Jordans....

but hey, since the name on the item's obviously what you judge quality by Gravediggerracing, I've got a laptop "Made by Ferrari" and some memory cards "Backed by Ducati" if you wanna buy em, I mean, obviously they're fast, they're from Ferrari and Ducati!
You are so far off base that you should just quit while you are ahead.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 PM
rcnitrohead

I feel sorry for poor Adam, his hands must be soo tired from that constant dremeling I dunno where he gets the time to race[sm=confused.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I feel sorry for poor Adam, his hands must be soo tired from that constant dremeling I dunno where he gets the time to race[sm=confused.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=punching.gif]
LOL

So true. Now, if Adam Drake suggested a timing profile and some specific racing tricks that have made his own personal engines really perform, and those parameters were inputted into a CAD/CAM CNC machine to best reproduce those tricks and profiles, then yes, that would be a better thing for Trinity to advertise. They could say "The racing tricks and timing durations that Adam Drake's own modified engines have." That would be a more realistic thing to advertise. But to claim that Adam Drake personally mods each engine? That is a tall tale. I do not even see how he has time to even touch every engine that gets stamped with his name on it.

As for advertises lying? We all know the serious BS RC engines advertisers have shoveled to us. I seriously doubt my little .28engeins can produce as much HP as my lawn mower. I actually did a calcualtion on the CEN NX76 claim of 5HP. That engine would have to maintain around 50in-oz at 100,000 RPM (I could not remember the exact torque I calculated, but I remember it was aroud 50in-on at 100,000RPM). Is CEN lying? Maybe not nor do I think they intend to, but the advertisers they hired are lying through their teeth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.