Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

LST Shock Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LST Shock Kit

ORIGINAL: CWC

SomeGuy are those 40 series >6.5"< Masher tires? If so how do you like them? Are they heavy?

They are the regular maxx size but i do like them and are pretty light, they slip a little on asphalt but are good on any other surface.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM
nothinbetr2do

hi guys, anybody know what the stock oil weight is that comes in the shocks? thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM
-SomeGuy-

Im pretty sure they have 25 wt oil in them, ask in the LST section, they will know for sure.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:33 AM
gibsa004

hey, i'm pretty new to the hobby and have a savage .21, and want to know what this kit actually does for the truck. Cheers Andy
Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 PM
brokentrucks

Basically what is does is give the savage a new shock set up so of course you can put a different shock from a different car (in this case an LST2) and these shocks give the savage better handling so you could race more ETC.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 AM
-JOE-

would aftershock shocks work, I heard some guy talking and he said they are the same dimensions but lighter?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
ravenlunatic

yes they would i've used them before on my truck. i like the smoothness of the ride but they bend the shock towers.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
-JOE-

with the mounts installed?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
ravenlunatic

no, i didn't use the mounts, the shocks fit fine with the bushings for the AFT shocks. the mounts will still bend the towers though, they push the front towers toward the rear and the rear toward the front. it's not a huge problem but it is annoying to make the body holes and post line up.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:48 PM
ravenlunatic

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

No matter what savage you have you NEED savage 25 lower arms to be able to mount LST shocks, no matter who you get the mounting kit from. No one has come up with a way to mount them on X lower arms, thats why they specify "non X arms"

here's a way to do the conversion with out the mount kit. all you need is the stock losi bushings for the shocks

i used the old nuts and bolts from the savage x for the top and drill holes into the stock x arms on the truck to mount the lower part of the shocks

i've bashed the crap out of my truck with this set up and the only thing that's failed is the screws for the lower part of the shock that i used to mount on the arms. all you would need are better quality screws.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19733.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	808728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96055.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	808729  
Old 11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
-SomeGuy-

The afterskock shocks are the exact same size but lighter since they're all plastic. And yes the towers bend inwards because of the weight of the truck is pushing on one side only. I almost feel like putting my alloy towers on just to get rid of this problem. With the wing and the LST shocks i've broken a couple tanks because of this. I guess thats what you get when you set up a truck for racing and try to bash with it. If i remove the wing then it would be better. Another thing i wanted to do on my punisher theme truck (oh so long ago) is put 4 lst shocks in the back, this would remove that problem and would look nice but might be overkill. This would only work on a truck that has extended chassis and those locking things (whatever they're called) that allows you to run without the turnbuckle in the rear, or those HPI rear hub carriers.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I was wondering if you were considering a LP tower for LST shocks... Maybe angle the shocks inwards as much as possible and still keep a lower profile on the towers. If you go that route, let me know and I will pick up a pair.

It's wouldn't take much to reinforce the tower on the side without shocks. I haven't run mine enough to see the impact. Does it cause the shock tower to bend slightly or does it actually increase breakage?

You could run a crossmember between the shock towers to brace them together and prevent bending or get a roll cage that has mount points on the shock towers.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
ravenlunatic

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I was wondering if you were considering a LP tower for LST shocks... Maybe angle the shocks inwards as much as possible and still keep a lower profile on the towers. If you go that route, let me know and I will pick up a pair.

It's wouldn't take much to reinforce the tower on the side without shocks. I haven't run mine enough to see the impact. Does it cause the shock tower to bend slightly or does it actually increase breakage?

You could run a crossmember between the shock towers to brace them together and prevent bending or get a roll cage that has mount points on the shock towers.

i don't know that low profile shock towers are available and the bending of the stock towers are not a huge problem, how ever building a support brace is not a bad idea. i may have to do some poking around my truck to find places to mount a brace though.

i also do not think that there are rollcages that mount to the shock towers to prevent bending. running a cross member may work but it'll be in the way of the batt.box lid and the air filter.