Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 AM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow

my new savage is on the way. But so is the snow. My? is how do they work in snow. Do I need to cover anything before running in snow? Will it ruin the engine? It wont be deep snow but will probable be packed or atleast wet so I would like to know so I dont damage anything by running in the snow. Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 AM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Snow

your motor will be fine, but you need to water proof the electronics
Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

waterproffing.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/actua...of_servo.shtml
Old 11-04-2007, 11:03 AM
SpikeX

I ran my Savage X in about 10cm (4") of snow last year without waterproofing the electronics. I haven't had any problems since. The stock radio box is relatively waterproof and will protect the electronics well. However, it depends on how deep the snow is and what tyres you have (because some tyres kick up more snow). If you don't want to take the chance, just waterproof them.

The Savage in the snow is quite fun, although you really don't go fast (because there is little grip and a lot of drag from the snow). Seeing it kick up hige rooster tails on acceleration is really cool. What I found the most fun to do was to find a flat, paved area with only a very think sheet of snow (1-2cm) and drive your Savage on that. You can do some crazy donuts and tricks there!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM
DaveG55

That oil method may work well for constantly submerging a servo but, and you can believe me here, if you just open up your reciever and servos and coat everything with non conductive dielectric grease it's a LOT easier, a LOT LESS messy and more than enough waterproofing for any land or air based rc. It works great for boats too and even can survive the occasional submersion w/o incident. Also it does not require that you glue anything togeather - I really don't like the idea of supergluing the servo togeather.

Heck, the dielectric grease method is even used by 1:1 PWC makers to protect their electronics.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:47 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oop's.
the link was for the ballons or plastic dip. not the oil bit.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
DaveG55

That stuff was there too but what's the point of using a balloon if you just have to cut another hole in it? The plasti-dip method works ok if you combine it with an o-ring on the shaft. But it adds size to the servo and it's usually uneven and crappy looking too. But you can get it in colors if you want.
I just prefer the dielectric method. To me it works a lot better and easier too. Do it once and your done - you never have to fool with it or worry about it again.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:13 PM
clubin

I do it every year, it definetly shortens the life of the engine, your needle settings will be way out of wack. Some things you should do is drill small holes in the outside of the tires, between the grips to let the water out of the tires. Get some spare plastic parts, bumpers, and antenna tubes. I have never waterproofed anything and have never had a problem. It is alot of fun.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the engine tuned properly then it wont shorten the lifespan at all[8D] My engines run awesome in the snow, this year I want to finally build a plow for my Savage just to mess around
Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

If you have the engine tuned properly then it wont shorten the lifespan at all[8D] My engines run awesome in the snow, this year I want to finally build a plow for my Savage just to mess around
Our winters here -20 c would be a nice day, and plastic breaks real easy. Temps are impossible to get up, I doubt you see temps like that in Brooklyn. Still alot of fun though, a vid of a Savage plowing snow would be super funny. Maybe I could convince my wife to get another Savage for "clearing snow". LOL
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
electricnitro

Wrap aluminum foil around head and if that does not get the temps up, put a baby sock over it and cut a hole big enough to fit the glow starter down in it. Its not a good idea to keep leaning it out just to get the temps up. Aluminum foil and a sock is your engines friend in cold weather.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
fourtraxjay

I have more fun with my savages in the snow than in the dirt!
Balloon the radio. Use automotive goop or balloons on the servos. Cut beer cozy to put over the head if you can't maintain proper engine temps. (you will have to richen the HSN
I also spray silicon lube all over the thing before I go out.
When I'm done, I immediatley blow compressed air all over it to get the snow off. It never really gets wet because I blow the snow off before / as its melting.
It will never look cleaner. I find that crashing it in the snow is actually easier on it than the dirt, but I don't go when it is -20! ( too cold for me and I believe the plastic would get brittle)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM
groovethumper

I usually run mine with a hot glow plug and a kyosho air filter that is some what waterproof. (it restricts air flow a little so you don't have to worry about temps). I have not waterproofed the electronics. I have completely submerged my Savy and nothing shorted, and that was months ago. As for subzero temps I usaully heat the whole truck with a small heater(plug in floor model). That usually keeps things from breaking. I've actually been out in minus thirty degrees celcius, for about an hour of run time and experienced no difficulties. Just make sure you get all the snow off it, and relube everything. Peace.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
rcnitrohead

I run my trucks in -10C/ 15F with no problems... Maybe those extra 15 degrees make a difference, but as long as you foil up the head you should be able to bring up the temps[8D]
Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Knightfall

My friend plans on taking his out in the snow. I'm tempted, but I'm scared I'll ruin a servo. This thread is tempting though... Especially when I read about the die-electric grease.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
benzzyo5

the snow is so much fun to run a rc in
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Knightfall

My friend plans on taking his out in the snow. I'm tempted, but I'm scared I'll ruin a servo. This thread is tempting though... Especially when I read about the die-electric grease.

Even w/o doing anything the absolute worst case would be that you have to completely dissassemble all the electronics (servos, reciever, etc) and dry them out completely. It is highly unlikely that any perminant damage would occur to them. I run nitro boats and they sink completely from time to time and I have yet to perminantly damage any electronics.
Of course, the colder it gets the more brittle the plastic becomes so there's no guatantee that you won't break something.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
rcnitrohead

Last season, I wrapped the TVP's in saran wrap lol.... Hey it worked, and driving it in the snow is the absolute most fun thing ever. Except for your hands going numb[:@]
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
MTboy

Thanks for all the info. we get alot of snow here so its going to be fun but think I'll put this these ideas to use. But for the temps being below, no thanks on those days I'll just work on it. I'v learned alot and hope to learn more. when it finnaly shows up I'm sure I'll have more ? thanks for now
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 AM
brokentrucks

Bloody hell it must get cold up there in Canada and the USA because cold places down here in Australia just get down to 0 degrees C and thats heeps cold in my opinion, whenever it snows its only a thin layer and everyone is shocked[:-]. If i was driving my sav in -20 odd degrees C i would try and put my finger on the break and my finger would only start to move after i've already hit something minutes later[X(]. That would really suck, it would be like slow reation city
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Knightfall

ORIGINAL: brokentrucks

Bloody hell it must get cold up there in Canada and the USA because cold places down here in Australia just get down to 0 degrees C and thats heeps cold in my opinion, whenever it snows its only a thin layer and everyone is shocked[:-]. If i was driving my sav in -20 odd degrees C i would try and put my finger on the break and my finger would only start to move after i've already hit something minutes later[X(]. That would really suck, it would be like slow reation city
Well apparently here where I live, Winnipeg (MB, Canada), is considered to be one of, or the, coldest city (not coldest place) in the world. We've reached -38 degrees Celsius with a wind chill of -50-something. The normal temps for our winter periods run from -15C to -28C or so. It's already been as low as -4C here (which is still warm to me with my spring jacket) and the snow is just starting to arrive.

Winnipeg is also known for having a huge range. In the summer it can be the complete opposite, and go up to 35 degrees Celsius.

Edit: Ok, I decided to Google "Coldest city in the world" and apparently it is Ulan Bator, Mongolia, where the average temp is -1 Celcius. I won't complain that we've been beaten though.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Neil E

I am getting cold just reading this tread. I was born and raised in Calgary AB. I know the cold. That is why I moved here. We may get frost two or three days a year. If it goes below 50F we stay inside LOL...............
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM
dhyde79

Neil, isn't that because you're afraid of the idiots that don't know how to drivin the event of bad weather?

I know up here in amarillo 4" of snow is a life threatening event, but, have lived in places where it took more than 8" of snow to call school off for the day.

I'm hoping for some good snow so I can do some harder bashing without worrying about breakage due to crappy landing....snow drifts are great for cushioned landing spots
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 PM
whipnet

Ahhh... Houston. 83 F today. 365 bashing.

I do love the snow and would once like to bash in it though.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
benzzyo5

it suppose to snow where i am but i can't even drive my truck because i have to work all day tomarow and it gets dark early now[:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.