Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage ss 4.6 rtr

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
selena1718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage ss 4.6 rtr

hi i want to get the rtr version of the savage ss 4.6 .my question is it a good truck and whats the difference between the k4.6 motor and the F4.6 this one has the F4.6 is it a better motor. thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
xrapidx

Default RE: savage ss 4.6 rtr

not sure... i got a similiar question here - its discontinued though.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 AM
brokentrucks

No ,the F4.6 is not as powerful as the K4.6 . Do you mean a second hand savage 4.6 ss because otherwise you cant get it because 'SS' means super sport which means the car is a kit, and if you were looking at second hand cars it may be better to go for a newer savage Xss as it has more upgrades and it is the newer 'X' generation of savage trucks, that would mean you get a newer and better car for around the same price[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

ok since we are on this subject. I dont own a MT at the moment but do own a couple stadium trucks. I am also looking into the Savage. what my question is this

1. what is the different between the Savage X 4.6 RTR and the Savage X SS Kit. like what do you get in the kit that the rtr doesnt have.
2. ive asked alot of questions and read alot about savages. do the Savage X Series have any problems? such as xploding diffs or just anything.
3. with the RTR how fast does it go and is the steering crap like alot of ppl say?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
ravenlunatic

answers:

1. the xss kit came befor the 4.6 RTR, the kit has the K4.6 which is a little stronger then the F4.6 in the RTR. the RTR has dual fiber brakes where as the kit has dual stainless steel brakes. the kit comes with the following upgrades: hardend steel spur, raceing clutch bell, hardend dog bones, alum tuned pipe, dirt bonz tires. the RTR has: electronics and stock parts.

2. since the release of the alum diff housing i've not heard of anyone with diff blown. this maybe due to the idea of shimming the diffs to push the diff gears closer for a snug fit thus makeing the diffs stronger.

3. i've heard 20mph-25mph for the RTR and the xss it really depends on how you tune your engine. as for steering, well, it's a moster truck, what do you expect? it handles alright with the right tweaks: heavy weight diff oil, lower supension, offset wheels, strong steering servo, LCG TVPs, it all depends on what you want to do with your truck.

i currently own a savage Xss, my mods that i have done are: FLM LCG extended TVPs, off set wheels, 333oz steering servo, relocated tank, and shimed the diffs. it handles pretty well if i take the shock spacers off. it also handles bashing like no other. the rumors the toughness of the savages are true, this truck is a monster! i've only broken 1 HD dog bone, and one shock shaft on this truck and i've been bashing for about a year now. i highly recommend the xss as you will learn the ins and outs of the truck throught your build process and the ugrades are at your finger tips.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
azzman

Yea the steering is pretty crappy with the stock servo...couple that with 4xAlkaline batts (which yes do give 6 volts initially, but drop in power very quickly) and you have weak steering...it just keeps the cost of the RTR down...
Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
whipnet

The X 4.6 RTR steering and brakes leave something to be desired, but pickup the hump pack battery with it for about $20 and the steering and braking will improve 1000%. You can also add a ball bearing upgrade for the steering for about $13.

I clocked mine with a tuned pipe at 39 mph on the flat pavement with stock 2 speed and gearing.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

i have a hump pack and will replacing the steering servo with a hitech fix the steering.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 AM
smalltownsavage

all i got to say is that both the 4.6 motors are powerfull and reliable too.