Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Which one would win a 0-40mph contest ? Click to see candidates...

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Which one would win a 0-40mph contest ? Click to see candidates...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Muggy250r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which one would win a 0-40mph contest ? Click to see candidates...

it is, except for the clutch if u dont have a vented CB
Old 12-14-2007, 10:59 PM
bigairlife

Well yes. All i needed to fix the clutch prob was get a vented 12 tooth cb. With the 12 tooth vented, I've been running the stock clutch shoes and springs for 2 gallons straight!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Surpluzz

Rotating mass (the difference between 1, 2 and 3 speed) in one of these engines and drive train has virtually no effect on performance. It would be similar to throwing a blade of grass in a running lawnmower's blades and saying that it effected performance. Therfore, the benefits of having a 2 or 3 speed tranny versus a single far "outweighs" the drawback of "rotating mass".
Old 12-15-2007, 02:10 AM
bigairlife

Actually it has a much larger effect on performance than you have stated. It's like this. A simple way of putting it is that a truggy race tire will allow an engine to prool up much faster than a set of beadlocks with jumbo kongs. The effect is just a little less than that in the 2-3 speed gears. Read the xrc test on it.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Surpluzz

ORIGINAL: bigairlife

A simple way of putting it is that a truggy race tire will allow an engine to prool up much faster than a set of beadlocks with jumbo kongs.
Thanks Bigair, I understand the concept. My point is that the gears in a tranny don't have the effect on an engine that "Jumbo Kongs" do, or truggy tires. I understand your example in relation to both. The negative factors of rotating mass in a 2 or 3 speed is eliminated (canceled out) by shortening the first gear, making it easier to rotate the MASS. I simply wanted to point out that the power-to-weight ratio enables these engines to barely notice the few ounces of gears trying to stop them. Now, Jumbo Kongs certainly ARE a rotating mass to be concerned about. What is Prool?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
bigairlife

Oh sorry. I meant SPOOL. lol
Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rotating mass plays a huge role in acceleration..........generally a Truggy will accelerate faster then a MT, alot faster........... even though a Truggy is a single speed and "stuck in second" it has a center diff which allows a motor to spool up and get into powerband much faster then a 2 speed setup....

here is a video of a lightened CF Savage and my Mugen MBX5T both with modded STS 30's... as you can see the Truggy is the faster machine, bottom and top

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...97284940363929
Old 12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
losi8tboy

they look equal fast
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 PM
snoking16

^^^ yeah i didnt notice any speed differance either.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 PM
NitroVenom

Losi8Tboy, Do you even own an 8T?
I guess not...

Yea supertib I see a diffrence. but only in bottem end really.. I can't really see much dirffrence in top because you neve gave the mugen a full speed run without letting off.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
bigairlife

See. I was right. HAHAHA!!! lol. A truggy will accelerate faster than a mt with a 2 speed because of the extra weight the 2 speed gears carry as they spool up. [&:]

I told u so. lol
Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 AM
bigairlife

There is a pretty big difference on the bottom end and a small difference on the top end.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Surpluzz

Some&%# is retarded, Im sure of it.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 AM
ttoks

there is a huge difference here, think about it, how fast are the tranny gears in a savage spinning compared to the tires? at least 3-4 times faster, add it up and the added rotating mass will slow you down a lot more then you might expect, there so little rotating mass in a truggy drive train compared to a monster truck it's not funny, i know my 8ight T is much faster then both my revo and LST2, revo with an RB TM 523 and LST2 and 8ight with the mach 427..
Old 12-16-2007, 12:27 AM
rafa26

Guys click here to give your opinion in another thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6762930/tm.htm
Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 AM
bigairlife

Ya. U guys who didn't believe me before, you dont know what you are talking about. Ttoks (spelling?) is completely right. There is a HUGE difference in the accelerating capabilities of a truggy vs. MT
Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Surpluzz

Ok Ok BigAirHead is right I give up. No benefit to multiple speed set ups. hehehe. Maybe you all should try and change the world. Or just tell John Force and Mario Andretti that they could have ruled the world had they used ONE gear/speed. Later.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 AM
bigairlife

Ya. very funny. It's imposible in full scale cars because they dont rev high enough. I'm just arguing what is true. I just dont want people to believe something thats not true.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
dhyde79

bigairlife: all I have to say on the topic is this. monster trucks and truggies aren't designed to run the same.... find me a truggy that weighs exactly what my savvy is, give it a 1 speed center diff, and the exact same gear ratios that my savage has, and we'll line up the savage and the truggy.

gear ratios and everything else play into that, claiming that there's an obvious advantage because of less rotational mass when dealing with a minute amount of weight when the gear ratios in the vehicles you're using to try to prove the point aren't the same, the tires aren't the same, and the weight and such aren't the same, is subjective, and in no way hard proof.

if you want to shut us all up on the 1 speed vs 2 or 3 speed, get a savvy, and lock it into 2nd gear, then take a savvy with functional 2 speed and run them, see which one beats the other, obviously if HPI's making 3 speeds and now a high speed 3rd gear kit, there's got to be some valid reason as to why they're doing it, since, as you say, the minute amount of rotational mass makes the truck slower....
Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Saosin57

"Accelerating Capabilities of A truggy vs. MT" If I ever have to do another science project it with be on this lol.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-16-2007, 10:38 AM
iamnot

i agree with dhyde79
it sounds like you all are trying to compare apples and oranges
identical vehicles need to be compared side-by-side with the transmission gearing being the only difference for any valid conclusions to be drawn
past that it's all he said/she said, so to speak
Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: rafa26

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Like Python said before, the order is: GST 7.7, LST 2, Revo 3.3, Savage 4.6, and MGT.... Even though the 3.3 is "higher revving", the GST has a large amount of torque, and coupled to its short ratio 3 speed it can take off pretty fast. The Revo has a little wider ration 2 speed, so it takes a small bit longer.. IMO the LST2/Revo 3.3/ and Savae 4.6 would be very close to each other in a drag... Bone stock everything of course...

You are forgetting that the GST weighs how much? It has a few pounds on the Revo and that will give a better power to weight ratio to the Revo. The Revo has better aerodynamics as well as it sits a bunch lower to the ground, is more "compact" and that means it punches a smaller hole in the atmosphere (less drag). But this is bench racing, anything is possible I suppose in the real world.

Oh yeah, I love the GST and it's massiveness, so don't think I'm bagging on it.[8D]

Please dude, with all respect "less drag ???" at 40mph that will never make a difference.
Think so? I think it will make a difference because drag is drag. That observed 40mph is well over 300 scale mph with a 1/8th truck and 400mph with a 1/10th truck-and that's what the trucks "actually experience" when blasting up and down the street. Remember, we are really dealing with scale here, not 1:1. You'd better believe aero plays a role in overall vehicle dynamics. If this was all nonsense, then why does Protoform invest thousands upon thousand of dollars retooling their touring car bodies from time to time? Aero is the reason.[8D]
Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
bigairlife

If you lock a savage in 2nd gear, it will be slower not because of the gear ratio, but also because of all the other gears in the tranny still have to spin, which creats rotational mass [&:] Stock, my muggy was heavier than a savage, and I still beat it even tho the savage had a 3 speed and a f 4.6 [>:]
Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 PM
ravenlunatic

ORIGINAL: bigairlife

If you lock a savage in 2nd gear, it will be slower not because of the gear ratio, but also because of all the other gears in the tranny still have to spin, which creats rotational mass [&:] Stock, my muggy was heavier than a savage, and I still beat it even tho the savage had a 3 speed and a f 4.6 [>:]

hey bud, why don't you go and stack you truggy with some extra weight to match the savage and run it, then we'll talk. if you haven't yet then you've no argument so you might as well shut yer yap
Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 PM
yamahauler236

revo all the way. then lst, then savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.