Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Post Break-In LRP Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
dhyde79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Break-In LRP Problems...

well, the LRP runs about 20 times better than my axial did, and when it hits 3rd gear, with the standard gear, it's just flat out gone.

I got an afternoon where I had the chance to tear the truck down and fix a few things, so I gave it a good once over. My discoveries were very scary.

The Damage Report:
* my front outboard dogbones are toast, one has a 45* twist difference in the two "heads" on the ends, the other is completely missing one of the "heads", looking very much like it was completely twisted off of the shaft.
* my ring gear on the front diff (which has a removable locker in it) is missing 4 teeth, none of which are consecutive teeth, they're almost at 12/3/6/9 if looking at it like it were a clock, very strange.
* the tires are coming unglued, 3 of 4 beads are loose on the front, 1 on each wheel on the back is loose as well.

Repairs:
* As far as the tires go, I've tried both CA, and Gorilla Glue, both break loose fairly easily, and I'm almost out of ideas as to how to fix it....
* The Ring Gear....that'll be an easy one, I replaced the whole diff with a preassembled XSS diff, filled with 7000W oil....but, I still have no clue what caused that damage....
* Dogbones......I'm utterly dumbfounded here.....I haven't the faintest idea what to do by way of trying to fix it or prevent it from happening again. I've got stock ones to replace these with already, but, past that, I'm fresh out of ideas....

I'll take any help that anyone can throw me......especially to keep this stuff from happening again.....the wife's becoming increasingly displeased with the fact that I'm spending more and more money on my savage and I need something to be a fix that lasts a bit longer....especially since I'm probably going to be spending more to finish fixing the transmission......
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Vigilante212

Default RE: Post Break-In LRP Problems...

Go easier on it while driving. Loosening up the slipper a little can prevent twisted dogbones, but if your using the HD ones they will still snap if you land at a bad angle.

Clean off as much CA glue as you can take a dremel and rough up the surface of the rubber and rim and use some thick CA glue. Let it cure for 24 hours. You can also tune down your motor to limit torque damage.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Parputt537

All I can say is get used to it. The LRP is a lot of motor. I just changed all my cup joints and am about to need new ones. These high output motors are a blast, but they are hard on the drive train.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 AM
dhyde79

it *is* still tuned down.....I did the heat cycles once when it was almost freezing outside, I had trouble keeping it above 200, so now that the weather's giving me a few nice weather days, I'm going to run another set of heat cycles before messing with it much. I may have (at most) turned 1/4 turn lean from factory settings...

I did have a few unpleasant introductions to a curb, which it seemed to notice less than my 1:1 car would have when I had a big bronco.....that may have been the cause of the ring gear and dogbones I suppose.....

as far as stronger....is there such a thing without going too far? standard strength dogbones and one snaps off and the other is pretty twisted.....what about the titanium ones, or the thicker FLM ones? not worth it, just keep getting stock ones when needed?

a quick question on the X diff housings....do you have to take the truck apart to service the diffs or is it something you can leave the thing attached and just get the diff out? also, do they have a bottom to them or is that open also like the S25 housings that I already have?

oh, and as an afterthought.....what can be done to ADD some traction? with enough power that I'm mangling stuff like that, I *still* don't get wheelies, even in grass/dirt, NOW I just rip whatever's under the tires up and never get enough traction to bring the front end up.....
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Vigilante212

The curb probably caused both problems with the dogbones the impact probably snapped the one and that transfered all the rotation to the other side twisting it.

with the x housings you remove 6 screws and the whole diff cup comes out. 4 in the face and 2 screws on the bottom of the truck. Stiffer rear springs and locking down your slipper all the way will help wheelies. Also a good set of aluminum clutch shoes with 1.1 springs.

I ran mine with 17-47 gearing and it wheelied on the first tank stock setup.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 AM
dhyde79

have factory shocks, with preload clips still installed, as far as the wheelies go, I really think it's a traction problem (as when I goose it to get the front end up, the dirt/grass/anything that's under it goes flying, or when on pavement any little rocks that can be launched, while the tires are nearly instantaneously breaking traction.....my street tires don't burn out QUITE as quickly....well, at least they didn't on the axial.....who knows what they'll do once I mount them on this LRP....I've got to get new rims for them first though.....

with regards to the dogbones.....anything good/bad/ugly about the FLM ones or whichever company makes the titanium ones?