Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Best pipe for top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM
rican25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best pipe for top speed?

well subject pretty much says it all, I was looking at the Tsais ch5 pipe, and I know I would have to make it fit but also looking at the JP-3 anybody have anybetter ideas? can anyone offer any experienced review of the Tsais pipe? I had a chance to buy one off someone here a few months ago but was advised against it for bashing and now I am taking the Savage X to the streets and was looking into that pipe again. thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: Best pipe for top speed?

First what engine are you going to run it with and how much are you willing to spend? So far a good all around pipe that goes well with pretty much any engine, has good performance and can be found pretty cheap is the good old HPI polished pipe. If your looking for one that is made to go with your engine then thats another story.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
rican25

well I have a few options... HPI 4.6, Axial .32 ported or stock, Axial .28 ported or stock. I have sleeves and pistons for modded and un modded axial 28 or 32. which do you think would be the best route to go with? money not an issue but if there is a budget minded then throw that one in there too. the Tsais is like 110.00 thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 AM
-SomeGuy-

If your looking for speed then your looking in the wrong place when it comes to engines. If you already have spare piston and sleeves then it wouldnt be a bad thing to have an axial 28 as a basher engine or as a spare. If you can sell off the parts you have and use that to invest into something else then i would suggest that.

If your looking for top speed and are willing to spend a few bucks then the modded picco 28 is the king of the road at the moment giving a total of 2.4 hp on the dyno. I know that companies claim to have more hp than that for smaller engines but thats never true. HPI claimed that the old s-25 had 2.5 hp and thats total bs. Even without the modding the picco 28 is a screamer on both low end grunt and top speed. Another good engine at the moment is the LRP spec3 but i have heard a few stories of having problems, not many but some. Nothing like what we've heard about the sts line of engines.

I run the HPI polished with all my engines (mostly picco) and have been more than happy with its performance. There are pipes that, matched with the right engine, will give better performance. If your into racing and need to squeeze every drop of power you can out of your engine then a proper pipe is the way to go. If all your looking for is better overall speed then a picco or LRP with the polished pipe will be more than ok. For the LRP im not sure what is the better pipe but for the picco I've heard that the JP-2 is a very good match.

I suggest you do some searching in the engine section of rcu as Im sure there are a few threads covering this subject, if you dont find what your looking for then start a thread.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 AM
xXxCellARatOr

You mentioned the polished pipe a couple of times. I was wondering what the difference is between that pipe and the stock one that the X 4.6 RTR comes with (the plastic pipe). Im still running the stock F4.6 engine and i think it has pretty amazing power for both low and high rpm. But i was wondering what kind of a performance boost ide get from switching to the Polished pipe. I also intend on getting the LRP Spec 3 quite soon (maybe even the Picco), so would the polished pipe really be worth getting over the stock plastic one? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 AM
kamikazekalle

If you need pure speed you want some sort of speed pipe like those used on some rc boats and the crazy cars that run like h-ll (340 km/h!) tied to a pole. These pipes give good hp on higher revolutions, but sucks on lower.

A very long time ago I tried a very (and I mean VERY) tuned K&B .21 with a very tuned speed pipe in my Kyosho Rowdy Baja. The car lurked along on the airfield for minutes slowly gaining speed, and then it peaked it set of like a badly drugged rabbit. It went from like 25 mph to breakneck speed in no time at all. It almost scared me. I only tried that car/engine combination that one time.

The engine was normally used in a airplane with 1 meter span, built just for maximum speed. It was very fast but then it lost contact at very high speed and reportedly passed an strawberry field crowded with workers the project was cancelled. Where where no fail safes those days...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM
-SomeGuy-

You will most definitely notice a power increase with the polished pipe over the plastic. The plastic is probably the worst for performance in any category but it is the most quiet. In case anybody is wondering the ribbed pipe is for bottom end only and the polished is more for top speed.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 AM
RazeRacer

www.bukupower.com

[8D]
Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Coxwaan

ive just put the STS .28 pipe on my nosram monster, and its livened it up nicly, better than the HPI polished....
Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RazeRacer

www.bukupower.com

[8D]
+1 to that. I believe they arent race legal however, they might have one out that is race legal now. From what I've seen about this pipe, Im a believer.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Dynamite 053 pipe with Tsais header will work nicely! That will cost about $55 for both pieces.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
black mamba

Getting the best top speed requires more than just a pipe. First and foremost, tire diameter and gearing are the most important factors in speed. Engine and pipe type comes next. If you want the fastest Savage around, get a racing orientated .28-.30 engine and a pipe designed for top end and your truck will fly. Probably too fast to actually keep it under control.[8D]
Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Gearing won't matter if air flow is choked by a restrictive muffler....it's a total package concept and requires more consideration than just gearing or pipe alone.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
rican25

I was thinking along the same lines as Go-To with the total package deal... I think the modded Axial .28 will do fine for now, I know there are better engines out there but this is what I have to work with right now. I will not be spending 3-400 on an engine anytime soon even if I could sell everything I have i wouldnt do it. Good advice Some Guy, but I do have a Hyper ST and looking to buy another truggy soon so I will need the extra engines, parts to try different combos out. I just want my X to absolutely fly!! it is plenty fast enough with the stock 4.6 in it but you can NEVER have too much speed. I do have a 3 speed on the way and looking into some gearing changes as far as CB/Spur so any input is welcomed. I have PMed a few people on here that I thought would be very helpful in this build but havent had any advice from them yet. So thanks to you all for the help and keep it coming!! Noone weighed in on the Tsais pipe... is this not a very good pipe? or just not for what I am wanting right now? thanks again guys
Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 PM
hilifemt

Have you seen the video of the savage with LRP with BUKU pipe? or the BUKU demonstration vid on a measuring device? (maybe a dyno, not really sure) the buku pipe is insane man! mad technology in that pipe!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
rican25

yeah I have seen that! its not a dyno more like some rollers from a ...... one of those roller table thingys used to help move stuff around a warehouse LOL you know what I am talking about!! I think I will check that one out. do you know of anything else I would need to make that pipe fit IF I went that route?