Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

bashing to street setup - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
newpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bashing to street setup - possible?

Hi !

I've seen some awesome-looking street tires for the Savage and i'm wondering if you could go from a bashing setup to an onroad setup back and forth quickly?

I mean for example, stick with the stock setup for bashing (light bashing, nothing like some of you guys breaking stuff all the time ) and have a set of stiffer shocks and street tires / rims for the onroad setup... Can you change the shocks easily? Is that enough for nice on road driving or is it only some kind of half-ass setup ? Am i gonna go through more problems by changing these parts back and forth regularly?

Those street tires look great to me (especially HPI Phaltline!!!), but i know the stock shocks are way too "long" (too much travel) for proper handling on street...

Any suggestion on that? I don't want a total street setup as i wanna be able to bo through dirty places and get some air, but boy, street style looks cool on a Savage

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Vigilante212

Default RE: bashing to street setup - possible?

Yea it wouldnt be too hard. Change out the tires+rims remove the bottom screw from the shocks and slide the spring off and change it out for a stiffer one. You wouldnt really need to change ride height at all just set it so your arms are level for both applications.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
newpat

thanks for that quick answer...
do you mean that i only need a set of stiffer springs on the stock shocks for both apps, or is it just easier / better to get 8 "street setup" shocks?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Vigilante212

For bashing I would run softer shocks personally, but they might be a bit soft for street use.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:31 PM
newpat

OK... probably doesn't take long to go from one to another i guess...
stocks shocks, stiffer springs should be OK for street use...
and back to stock springs for "bashing" (once again, light bashing!)

thanks a lot, i looks like i know what to get tomorrow after work
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
newpat

mhm, other question!

how do you determine which spring is stiffer than another?

the more coils for the same length, the stiffer? or am i out of lunch?
thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
newpat

btw, i think i read through your answer too quick! you said softer "shocks", not springs... sorry about that! Kinda of excited about that truck

do you think the stock shocks are OK for street use, or still too soft? i don't think i'll go too hard on that truck so they should be ok for my type of bashing until i find a nice big ramp!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
DamageIncorporated

IMHO, you will need a little more than a stiffer spring for the road. You will also want to lower the COG on the truck as much as possible to keep it from flipping over while turning at a higher rate of speed. I would get yourself a full set of spare stock shocks (cheap on ebay). You can then cut eight equal lengths of fuel tubing say about 1" long. During assembly, you will slide the tubing over the shock shaft all the way to the dampening disc. Then slide the shaft into the shock body. The fuel tubing acts as a shock limiter so it can't fully extend, thus lowering your truck. The stock springs should work fine as they will loaded quite a bit with the limiters. If this doesn't make any sense to you, let me know and I'll try to find a link for a step by step.

You can then just swap out the shocks and tires for whatever terrain you want rock that truck on.

Lowered Sav + Phaltlines = One sweet looking road hog. [8D]
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
newpat

i think it does make sense to me the fuel tubing goes INSIDE the shock body, right? makes sense, yep! (hope i got it right!)
i'm not a big ebay fan, for no particular reason... for now at least i feel better buying from the hobby shop (until i realise i spend too much on something that's gonna break anyway )
I'll see if i can get that tomorrow, i guess i need the whole thing for shocks assembly (shock oil at least, what else?)
i hope the hobby shop's got the Phaltline tires, those are awesome! (look-wise at least, i don't know how they handle though)
BTW, my buddy's got himself a Revo 3.3, do you think my Savage will smoke it???

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 AM
BANKRUPTER

The only problem with the shock mod is the loss of travel for when it goes back to off road. For a duel set up Id only go 1/2 to 3/4 inch on the tube 1 in is a lil extreem. RPM make's stable max rims which I have no shock mod as well and I don't flip on tar 2speed tranny speeds anyways. My 3 speed is still in the box... If you want to play with spring rates check these out... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=003
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 AM
beer=food
Banned

Its really quite easy, you just have 6 to 8 , 5%er beers first, LOL, its an anything mobeeeeeeel ! Go anywhere, FLAT OUT !
Ya dont need mods, its got wheels, it'll work !
Once in that state of mind see, it DOESNT MATTER !
Who cares about big chunks outa the underbelly parts, who cares about siko rollovers, you just drive it where ever you want, onroad, offroad, over neibours dog, neibours cat, neibours lovely lush 'sir walter' lawn hahaha, its a multi purpose beast !