Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

engine racing at startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM
iheardu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine racing at startup

I just bought a used Savage 25 to try my hand at nitro rc. The truck ran fine for the first tank full. On the 2nd tank I would have to blip the throttle to kick down the idle.. Now the truck is harder to start and when it does the engine is racing like a bandit..The only way to slow it down is with the brake...I tried to reset all the needles to the factory settings, but it doesnt help...Has anyone else had this problem or can suggest something to try? Any help would be appreciated by this newbie....
Old 03-10-2008, 06:16 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: engine racing at startup

try adjusting the idle. If all the settings don't help then you have an air leak. Get some automotive silicone and put it around the base of the carb and let it cure before you try it again. Also check to make sure the servo at neutral adjustment is correct and going back to the actual idle setting. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
nitroman420
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

check your radio man. sometimes there a 70/30 and 50/50 setting depending on what type ya got. i got a hq and i use 50/50 but it always stalls during running. but when i switch to 70/30 it will start at an idle like it should normally but i it dogs down too low and i gotta turn the idle up on the controller. any idea on this anyone?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
---RC PiNYoT---

Check all your linkages also. Starting from the throttle servo all the way to the carb. There could be something binding or sticking. Check it with the engine off and the radio on and watch the opening in the carb as you pull on the throttle and back.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
iheardu

Thanks for all the replies. I tried adjusting the idle but that didnt help. When I pull on the throttle , the carb opens and returns to the same spot. When I brake, the carb closes but then opens slighty wider when I release. Then if I throttle again it returns to the original position..It doesnt seem to be binding though....Is this normal ? I have the stock radio and have no idea what the 70-30 or 50-50 thing is, but I do think trim is set ok. I will pursue the air leak idea and see how that goes....Thanks again...This is a GREAT forum.