Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Smack the Hobby Shop Guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
P71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smack the Hobby Shop Guy

Yeah, I know how to replace a glow plug. Didn't have the tool yet. I asked the guy at the counter the first time just to check it to see if it was bad. The end.
Considering I bought the thing used, with no manual and no nitro knowledge, I figured the people on this forum would actually try to help me out. But all the majority of you did was try to make me feel stupid.
So, I guess you guys can sit here and feel superior with your years of knowledge and experience. I'm off to find a forum where people actually try to be helpful instead of just being dicks.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
newpat

^^^ Good one !!!
I've been through there too... "you stupid noob, read the manual and stop asking stupid questions..."
like i posted before, these guys were pro mechanics out the box, they were nitro pros right away, never been noob !!! lucky them !!!
as for the rest of them, there are some great guys, really helpful...

oh well i guess you'll never read that anyway, so good luck with your nitro...
and BTW, go to hpi website, Savage X or whatever model you have and you'll find a link to DL the manual... the SS is supposed to be more complete... that cant hurt!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
whipnet

Here's the manual as mentioned above:

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/pdf/861.pdf

Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: P71

Yeah, I know how to replace a glow plug. Didn't have the tool yet. I asked the guy at the counter the first time just to check it to see if it was bad. The end.
Considering I bought the thing used, with no manual and no nitro knowledge, I figured the people on this forum would actually try to help me out. But all the majority of you did was try to make me feel stupid.
So, I guess you guys can sit here and feel superior with your years of knowledge and experience. I'm off to find a forum where people actually try to be helpful instead of just being dicks.

You didnt really ask a question in this thread. You just said that the LHS guy was an idiot. If you ask a question on here or have problems running our truck feel free to ask. Alot of people will answer you and the ones who say your a noob because you dont know probably cant figure out whats wrong to begine with .
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly^^ Very well said Vigilante. We were all noobs at one point or another, but all you did was call the lhs guy a retard and thats it... This is the best forum there is, if you dont like it then its all up to you. We enjoy helping one another and I'm sure if you explained the situation better no one would be quick to jump to conclusions, its all a matter of wording. Your situation is perfectly normal, you just didnt explain it properly...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:04 AM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

I would think it can still start easily even with the extra washer?

This is the age of RTR's, people buying their trucks and knowing nothing about how to repair it.
And whats the problem with that? ...my first nitro was a RTR....my only RC experience was over 25 years ago with an obsceneley expensive kit that took me 2 yrs to build because I couldn't afford the radio gear/ESC required to get it to run. RTR's are the sole reason this hobby has grown to what it is today....anybody that does not recognize that is either blind or dumb or both.
why are we so darn hard on newbies? We need to realize that without the newbies we would still be converting electrics to nitros with sprockets and chains LOL.....
Its like everything else there p71 its always a few that make the many look bad....I hope you can see through that and continue to enjoy the hobby and everything it has to offer.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
youie

I think your LHS guy is the 'NOOB'. Anyone who has ever removed a glow plug to find no washer with it, has always checked its not laying ay the bottom of the engine head (heatsink). It common sense, especially for someone at a LHS.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations Guys (some of you)....you pissed off a Newbie. I tried to warn you in my earlier post in this thread. P71 was simply posting his frustration with trying to get help at the LHS. I strongly suuspect he is now a lot more frustrated with this forum than the hobby shop guy.

It's nice to know that some of you guys are smart enough to know how to change a glowplug though. That kind of expertise will keep me coming back and asking questions.

I feel bad for P71. He won't find a difference in attitude in any forum on any website. There are just simply too many people who love to use other's people's ignorance to make themselves look good and feel happy.

yeah...I know....I am wasting my time writing this................
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 AM
FirestormBasher

+10,000!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm off to find a forum where people actually try to be helpful instead of just being dicks.
Good luck with that endeavor. Such is the nature of online forums... either thicken your skin and gather what knowledge you can or start experimenting for yourself. You'll find the same behavior on ANY forum - may as well stick to the one with the largest user base, in my opinion.

Ignore the kiddies and smart-*****es and instead follow-up with the helpful members.

*Edit: The biggest reason why people have the attitude they do is because they figured it out for themselves or learned by trial and error. I'm one of those people. Use your head, common sense and the search feature. Also, getting help from the LHS is like taking your car to the dealer for a flat tire.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

Not quite sure what you wanted us to "help" with... your post here was a complaint that your LHS guy is stupid.... there was no "helping" that... we're not qualified. As for you, most of us were "trying to help" by suggesting that you should learn how to work on your truck, and not take it to the LHS for simple troubleshooting.... specifically because, as you have pointed out, your LHS guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.... perhaps you should take the collective experience of all of us here and learn how to work on your own stuff. The glowplug requires a 8mm(I think) socket and extension, not any special tool.... ask questions instead of making statements, and you're more liable to get answers.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Iv been noticing this has been happining too, no FUN being left with a bad taste in yourr mouth after tring to get usfull info or opinions from others.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
whipnet

I am not trying to pimp another forum or argue with anyone, but I find the hpisavageforum.com crowd to be very polite. They work off of a rep system there, so people are always in line to help for some rep points.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM
BANKRUPTER

ORIGINAL: youie

I think your LHS guy is the 'NOOB'. Anyone who has ever removed a glow plug to find no washer with it, has always checked its not laying ay the bottom of the engine head (heatsink). It common sense, especially for someone at a LHS.
Right I have to agree. Sounds like this guy could not be bothered with this himself and just rushed thru it. I would not use him again!! You look in the hole at least 4 times while doing this. Did he do it with his back turned and blindfolded? SUPER slap....[:@]

Im sorry you cought hell on this. I saw it comming on my first post. Give this a chance. Were all not jerks. But we all can be at times. Just ask my wife I cant type what she'd say... Hope you come back ! [&:]

Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 AM
newpat

btw, my washer NEVER comes up with the glow plug, it always stays in the cooling head and usually moves a bit you CAN'T miss it when you put the new one in!!! and yeah, i'm a noob too!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
RCCanuck

I always turn the truck upside down while removing the glowplug and the washer usually comes out with the plug.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 AM
crxtasi

ORIGINAL: Argess

RTRs are great for people new to this hobby. Get's them going with instant gratification and peaks thier interest quickly. Then as things break or wear out, they learn. Or they want more power, speed or better handling......they learn. And that means reading, asking questions, etc. If they don't want to learn, they most likely will drop the hobby.
I agree I bought my RTR savage25 couple of years back thinking I can get into Nitro coming from Electric. After a couple of forum reading and learning along the way...after a year of tinkering it wasn't for me(well my neighbors too ) I didn't drop the hobby but went back to Electric and now just recently revived my savage to BL.

my LHS is a shoot and miss too! depends if you talk to a nitro guy electric or both or none I guess. but the best advise I get is from forums like these with people who are really into their hobby!

just my two cents.