Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

RBMods SureFire 32R break-in

Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RBMods SureFire 32R break-in

Just figured I'd start a thread about the new motor. I'll keep it posted as I go.

So far I've got a few heat cycles through, and about 2 tanks on the ground no more than 1/2 throttle at the same rich settings.

This thing is stupid already... [:@][>:]
Old 04-04-2008, 04:24 PM
mmduc

Default RE: RBMods SureFire 32R break-in

sounds cool, im sending my savage xl 5.9 engine to them, then well hook up and bash.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: mmduc

sounds cool, im sending my savage xl 5.9 engine to them, then well hook up and bash.
CRAP! That motor modded?! [X(]

BTW, the pinch is tight enough to stop the RotoStart and get the piston stuck at TDC. [X(] Never had to loosen the glow plug on a new engine before now. woo hoo
Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
mmduc

nice im sure your engine is gonna be insane.... i figure for $100 i can send the k5.9 in and let him do his thing, its gonna be cool. i put a diff. carb. on the lst2, so i cant wait to run it and dial it in. lemme know when your goin bashin....
Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
go-to

nice im sure your engine is gonna be insane.... i figure for $100 i can send the k5.9 in and let him do his thing, its gonna be cool. i put a diff. carb. on the lst2, so i cant wait to run it and dial it in. lemme know when your goin bashin....
Check your PM for a discount. hehehe
Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
mmduc

got it, thanks man......
Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
go-to

You're welcome!

Man, this 32R sure drinks the fuel down! WOO that's gonna make the fuel go by fast! Now I remember what it was like growing up under a dragster where you you fill up before each run! haha

I'm still at fuel rich settings running around in the road for the next 2-3 tanks so no real interesting news yet.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
go-to

Well I got another 2 tanks of fuel through the SureFire today and had a little trouble tuning. I've begun the process of leaning and tweaking the needles for some dirvetrain destroying runs.

Well I couldn't get above 160degrees so I leaned the HSN a little at a time with no increase in performance and no temp. change. At one point it began lean bogging so I richened the HSN a half-turn and the bogging went away. [sm=confused.gif] This engine is acting differently than any engine I've had yet! [:'(]

Well the LSN was set for break-in (sticking way out and super rich) so I figured I'd start tweaking on that. Ended up leaning the LSN about a full-turn until a little out from flush and things started to really pick up RIGHT before I ran out of gas. [:@]

Well my question is...this normal for an engine that's super modified and tight pinch and such?! I've run nothing but stockers until now so...bit new to me.

I've got a total of about 7 tanks through it so far (not much I know), so I'll keep tuning away at it.

Haven't really hit it WOT yet either...highest temp. I saw was 190degrees right before shutting down.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 AM
RCCanuck

yeah it is differant than the RTR engines you get....try not to let it run out of gas...that will lean out an engine and could cause damage....what plug are you running?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

yeah it is different than the RTR engines you get....try not to let it run out of gas...that will lean out an engine and could cause damage....what plug are you running?
Yup. I pinch the exhaust deflector off before it runs out of fuel.

Rick Brake suggested a hot plug with 30% fuel, but I've always heard the opposite. At the moment it has the stock glow plug that came with it. After break-in I will switch to the McCoy MC-9 (cold) plugs I have. I need to call Rick about why he suggests the opposite of what I always hear on this forum.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 AM
RCCanuck

well he modded it I would take his word over someone at the other end of the information superhighway
Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
go-to

Well the engine has been a real bear to tune...I can't really get the temp's much above 200degrees F for anything. I'm running the new Byron's Gen2 and love it. Great fuel, but requires some re-tuning.

I'm getting this weird throttle response where it will flip over backwards one pass, and then bog the next. Very erratic and not consistent at all. I'm having a hard time believing how rich I gotta run this thing! 1 turn in from stock levels on the HSN and it's still not rich enough...but still not getting above 200degrees!! [X(] The LSN is like 2 turns out from stock. Weird engine for sure.

Boy it sure is an animal though! Just gotta get used to the tune...which I am still working on.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
mmduc

well have to get together and maybe tune both our engines together, 2 heads are better than 1, and i want your opinion on the k 5.9.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
go-to

well have to get together and maybe tune both our engines together, 2 heads are better than 1, and i want your opinion on the k 5.9.
You got it! I know what the deal is with mine...just hard to believe how rich the HSN needle is. I guess that's par for the course on a modded .32 motor...*drinks* fuel. Big power means lots of fuel.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
BudBud

If you are running the exhaust deflector, you may have way more fuel pressure than normal, thus more fuel forced through the jets at a lower setting. Little restrictions in the exhaust make a huge difference in fuel pressure. BB

Edited to add that when I switched from the Hpi pipe to the 086 or 053, it was really rich, barely able to pull itself rich, over the tuned setting on the Hpi pipe. Mine's not modded, but I would imagine the carbs are still the same.....
Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you lean out the motor it should drink less, during break in my STS .30 was a hog, I got less than 5 minutes on a tank, not enough to even complete a heat cycle[&:] I just leaned it out a tiny bit and it was fine. I hope the SF works out for you, it looks like a sweet engine and I'd really like to see a vid. I was gonna get you guys a vid of my STS today on top speed but my brakes vibrated out and the cam fell out[:@][:@] Now I'm gonna have to hit the LHS and spend $5 on a .10 cent part[:'(] Keep fiddling with the motor, just run it around and burn fuel. It may seem dull for now, but when you get past that 3/4 gallon mark and start leaning, it should really wake up. Good luck, Tom.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

As you lean out the motor it should drink less, during break in my STS .30 was a hog, I got less than 5 minutes on a tank, not enough to even complete a heat cycle[&:] I just leaned it out a tiny bit and it was fine. I hope the SF works out for you, it looks like a sweet engine and I'd really like to see a vid. I was gonna get you guys a vid of my STS today on top speed but my brakes vibrated out and the cam fell out[:@][:@] Now I'm gonna have to hit the LHS and spend $5 on a .10 cent part[:'(] Keep fiddling with the motor, just run it around and burn fuel. It may seem dull for now, but when you get past that 3/4 gallon mark and start leaning, it should really wake up. Good luck, Tom.
Well right now it's very fuel efficient which leads me to believe it's too lean...and then there's the bogging.

Thanks man. Patience...
Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
cyclesoul

check for air leaks, i had a full house RE.32 and it was easy to tune. Check n seal your backplate, carby base, grease the o rings on your needles, check the front bearing.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If it doesn't get up to temp, even when lean, try raising the compression a little... see what that does...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: cyclesoul

check for air leaks, i had a full house RE.32 and it was easy to tune. Check n seal your backplate, carby base, grease the o rings on your needles, check the front bearing.
I seal every engine I buy before installation...that's a given for me. I'd be shocked to find there's a leak on this engine. The front bearing is brand new and doesn't leak oil.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 PM
go-to

Well sure as I thought it was the HSN tuned a little too lean. Amazing is that the HSN is about 1/2-turn in from factory settings and runs really well! I leaned the LSN 1/4-turn and richened the HSN 1/2-turn and now things are getting interesting.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 AM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: go-to

CRAP! That motor modded?! [X(]

BTW, the pinch is tight enough to stop the RotoStart and get the piston stuck at TDC. [X(] Never had to loosen the glow plug on a new engine before now. woo hoo
that's funny, Pretty much every after-market motor I have run.. I had to loosen the glow-plug...pullstart and roto. Maybe I buy high-comp motors?lol

I remember my Wasp .28, used to eat through OWB's even after a gallon because the compression was through the roof.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 PM
go-to

Part-way through the tank I just ran the engine really started to make some torque. Things are looking better! Started to run a lot warmer than it was too!